Are Pokers Unpopular?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice grab on the Cassano Doody!

I've been looking to add a British made Poker to my rack. My only pipe in that shape is a monster David Jones, which is so big, it only gets smoked outside on fire-pit nights.

I found this Ashton yesterday at a VA shop, in Winchester. I think it is a Cherrywood as the angle of the bowl bottom is cut at an angle, as is the stem. The shop owner said it was "absolutely a Poker". It's my pipe now, so I'm right....
Smoking it now with some Princes Street Mixture, it's a winner.

And the David Jones

followed that link Doody and saw this
112758_m.jpg

http://www.watchcitycigar.com/item.phtml?id=53616c7465645f5feddaf928211cc07a54bb32eefc4c4cdd

Those Italians sure like sales pieces like that. The first twin bowl I can remember came from Caminetto advertising.

Ha! I make fun of that monstrosity like every time I'm in there!

Doody

We should all chip in and get that pipe for Monbla, so he could smoke his much-vaunted Royal Yacht in both chambers.

I bought a rusticated poker tonight, my second one after the Mark Twain Peterson. It struck me that the one I bought also has the rounded top. I don't think it is a cherrywood however, because the bottom seems level.

peckinpahhombre":xf5yc98u said:
I bought a rusticated poker tonight, my second one after the Mark Twain Peterson. It struck me that the one I bought also has the rounded top. I don't think it is a cherrywood however, because the bottom seems level.

I just saw that pipe somewhere today! (Tom Eltang?) Very nice piece.

Not so sure about the poker being unpopular, I have a Moretti cherrywood on it's way to me.

DoverPipes just put this beauty on Ebay, a Harmon:
$T2eC16hHJHwE9n8ikL5ZBQ359EdU1Q~~60_57.JPG

Briar Blues has this Tinsky as well, also very appealing:
gl029a.JPG

Very nice pokers one and all!

And,

I dont think that Pokers are unpopular, its just a "pain in the butt" to find the right one. (Then again, that could go towards all pipes) :roll:

Heres a pic of mine to date:

pokers10.jpg
[/url][/img]

Okay, pokerguys. There was a recent thread on the Lovat/Canadian question, And we all agree to disagree about Bulldog/Rhodesians.
So what's the official difference between a poker and a cherrywood?

Riff Raff explains it here.

I think the way I look it is that Cherrywoods are a subset of pokers - ie all cherrywoods are pokers but not all pokers are cherry woods. Cherrywoods seem to have a bent stem and, according to riff raft, can also have an angled bowl.

I found these definitions on a site:

cherrywood -- poker bowl; round shank; long tapered stem (generally); 1/8 or more bent. Resembles a small log with a branch extending from it. Pipes made of actual cherry wood are especially prized if they are made of a section of branch, about 2 inches in diameter and 3 inches long, used for the bowl and a smaller branch (growing out of the bowl area) used as the shank. Briar pipes carved in this shape are also sometimes referred to as "cherrywood."

poker --a pipe with poker bowl, a cylindrical bowl not rounded at the bottom; usually stem connects to bowl at abrupt angles, without any sort of contouring or smoothing. Straight pokers with round shanks look like judge's gavels. Pokers with bent stems may be called cherrywoods.

I love my Pete poker and I hope I will love the one I bought last night too. What I love about them is the ability to set them down on my desk, which makes them functionally easier to smoke while working.

George Kaplan":6bi0o1bz said:
Okay, pokerguys. There was a recent thread on the Lovat/Canadian question, And we all agree to disagree about Bulldog/Rhodesians.
So what's the official difference between a poker and a cherrywood?

A Cherrywood is just an unsmoked Poker.

I posted this on the thread of my recent Ashton Cherrywood acquisition.

poker_cherrywood_gavel.png

Quote:
The Poker is a straight pipe with a cylindrical, flat-bottomed bowl designed so that the shape will stand on its own. The Cherrywood is a bent Poker. Both styles have approximately the same dimensions as a Billiard and both are free-standing (though the Cherrywood, in some cases, may not stand when the bowl is empty). A third variety is the Gavel, which is a Poker with the shank joining the bowl at about the middle, so that it resembles a gavel.

The Poker name comes from the idea of being able to set the pipe down to deal cards. The origins of the name Cherrywood are unknown, however it may refer to inexpensive basket pipes that were once made of cherrywood as an alternative to corncob pipes.

1. A Cherrywood is not necessarily made from cherry wood. It is the name of the style.
2. The bottom of the Cherrywood is cut at an angle for reasons of balance.
3. Both styles have bowls that are more cylindrical than that of a Billiard.

See the following link for a poker that Brian Growley did for me - inspired by this thread. https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t21105-growley-poker-how-it-was-made