Are you afraid of heights?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know,....I use to but, since falling 70 feet off a cliff I'm not so much.
And I've never had a falling dream since then.

I  was part of a climbing exped to Yosemite in '96.  The climbs were rather bigger than what I was used to in Blighty (!!!) and I had to battle really hard to stay in my bubble.  Learnt lots though and completed some interesting routes though of course nothing as technical as route highlighted.  This climb marks a significant point in free climbing in Yosemite.  Top respect to the chaps.

YEP! That's why I don't fly :twisted: :twisted: I take the train or a bus up to Seattle to see my daughter !! :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah, this story is absolutely amazing. This is a serious feat of mental and physical strength and stamina.

After reading this, the first thing I thought was "Where do you poop?"

DrumsAndBeer":hxl0ntwc said:
Yeah, this story is absolutely amazing. This is a serious feat of mental and physical strength and stamina.

After reading this, the first thing I thought was "Where do you poop?"  
In days of old climbers pooped in brown paper bags and launched them. This is ok until someone who is below you climbing the same route his hit. Rightly so, things have changed. You are now required to carry plastic containers and take your poop to a disposal point. Certainly a less glamorous part of the adventure that is not seen by the wider public.

Stick":w84jofug said:
In days of old climbers pooped in brown paper bags and launched them.  This is ok until someone who is below you climbing the same route his hit. Rightly so, things have changed. You are now required to carry plastic containers and take your poop to a disposal point. Certainly a less glamorous part of the adventure that is not seen by the wider public.
See, consider me enlightened. Thanks Stick. I figured it was a "look-out below" kind of scenerio. I also figured, since they're climbing a rock that doesn't get climbed much that there wouldn't be facilities to take care of such needs..

Absolutely terrified of heights, roller coasters too. However I love to fly. That makes no sense to me. Going over bridges or driving on roads that are high up on mountains with long drop offs do as well. I have control issues it seems. I booked an outfitter for a deer hunt last year that had land that was quite diverse. Two days we went up and down a goat trail in a rickety old Isuzu Trooper changing elevation of 2500' top to bottom. After those two days my desire to get a good buck took a back seat to my fear. Fortunately I went to less scary terrain and shot a nice buck and all was well. I understand that curing this malady is quite easy counselors say.

I didn't used to be afraid, in my late 20s I was a roofer and would throw a flat of shingles on one shoulder, race up a rickety ladder three or more stories, and dance down the ridge line without a thought.  Somewhere, I've got a pix of me standing on one leg, full backpack on, on the East Arm of Horseshoe Mesa in the Grand Canyon, probably 800+ foot drop straight down inches in front of me.  I was hamming it up for several ladies in my group.

However, something changed in me over the years, nothing in particular happened, but today, I have a hard time getting off a ladder onto a roof only two stories up.  I was back out in the Canyon a few years back, and I couldn't get to within ten feet of the edge and my knees started shaking and my sense of balance seemed to collapse.

I've either gotten smarter, realizing how dangerous these actions are and how much it would hurt (albeit, only briefly) to fall.  Or, I've become a total weenie.  I'm going with the former.

Natch

I'm not afraid of heights. I'm not afraid of falling either.

It's the sudden stop at the end of the fall that scares the crap out of me.

I'm afraid of heights. I feel uneasy on bridges and when close to any steep drop off, but I don't mind flying.

Someone once told me that there is a difference between the fear of heights and the fear of falling. I've come to believe that, While I was in the Marines, we would do mountain climbing in Korea. The climb made me nauseous because there was no real safety - just fingers and the toes of my boots. Once we got to the top we'd rappel down. Once I was hooked into the harness and on belay, I was good to go and really enjoyed the rappelling!

Having flown for over 25 years, many times hurling my warm, pink body at the ground at 500+ MPH; one would think I had no fear of heights. Not necessarily true! But there is a sensation when one crawls into ones cockpit that one is in his/her "nest," or "cocoon," and feels safe by doing so. Climbing up the side of a damn mountain, hell no :evil: FTRPLT

I never used to be, but now I have Essential Tremors aka Familial Tremors and when I get up high I start shaking like a leaf and my balance goes haywire. Anxiety and stress kicks the tremors into overdrive and hights does it more than anything else.

I can't believe I used to want to climb as a kid and even went climbing at summer camp.

OK...here are two options for those of us who want to keep two feet on the ground

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zEa7P9e8Jvo" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wOCD7XLqQI4" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Any one game?