Aromatic vs nonaromatic in rotation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
In DPG's thread "The Official Gawith and Hoggarth Thread" it looks like some of peoples favorite blends are aromatic. I was wondering what portion of your rotation or cellar consists or aromatic blends. I have been smoking mostly English and Virginia
blends ad not really tried aromatic blends.
Bub

Probably less than 2% of my stash is what I would define as "aromatic". But then I love Lakeland tobaccos and I don't think of their scented versions as aromatic. Perhaps that's because I can taste the "scent" but don't notice it in the smell of the smoke, so to me it's not aromatic. Guess my sense of smell is senseless?

Natch

RE:1792, Braken Flake, etc
Although they do technically fall under the catagory of Aromatic I don't consider them 'aromatics'...
They don't have the 'goop'. I know its not a technical definition but its the 'goop' that puts it in the aromatic catagory to me.

I'm not to proud to admit that I'd love a 'Blueberry and cream' or a 'lemon mint' tobacco if they weren't all pg'd and gooped up.

0% aromatics in my modest cellar, I tried a few bowl fulls many years ago but couldn't warm up to them. Taste did not match the tin aroma and it seemed to gum up my pipes.

About 25% of my cellar is Aromatics,quality stuff from Dan Tobacco,
Samuel Gawith,and Solani.Sometimes I want a sweet smoke and nothing
beats quality leaf with a high class topping that has no chemical additives
employed to make it last forever on some drugstore shelf. :evil:

Winslow :sunny:

The local B&M carries a bulk cherry aro I like. C&D Mississippi Mud is in my rotation but I don't know if it's aro or non-aro. It's got black cavendish in it.

I smoke some aros but I don't really have to segregate my tobaccos that way. They all just come under one category. Tobacco blends that I enjoy. I have learned to never have a preconceived opinion on a blend until actually putting it in my pipe and smoking it. I would of missed out on some blends that I really enjoy if I did.

Of late, since encountering Union Square, I've been exploring 'straight' Virginias. Particularly with G&H Dark Flake Aromatic, the 'aromatic' quality is more pronounced, as though smoking mostly straight Virginias has sensitized my taste. An analogy: accustomed to soft music, being placed in the drum section of a marching band. I still like Dark Flake, but find that smoking it less often facilitates my appreciation of the Union Square.

I have 4 that are aromatics...SG Celtic Talisman, Boswell's Sweet Tea and Christmas Cookie and Just for Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms (some do not consider it an aromatic). I smoke one of these tobaccos once a week, usually on Sunday morning for some unkown reason and always in a meer. At least for me these 4 have some good solid tobacco flavor at their core and the taste is very close to the tin aroma.

My tastes are changing and I've dumped all the heavy aros. If it's goop, it's adios. The aros on my shelf are very lightly topped VA and VA blends.
25% aros- 75% non

I have a few aromatics in my rotation, though I don't smoke them a lot. Among the ones I enjoy are Boswell's PA Dutch Treat and No Bite Delite, 1Q, and Dutch Master's Cherry Cavendish. I"d say aros comprise about 10% of my smoking.

Smokey[u]

For the record... Cavendish is a process and cut of tobacco. There is tons of unflavored cavendish out there...
The term cavendish doesn't automatically mean 'topped' or 'cased'.