Aromatics. What would it take?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P, I ordered so PPB today from Uhle's, I did ask them if this tobacco is cased or topped with any other ingredient and the reply was no that they use just straight Burley. I was thinking that maybe you could use Perfection Plug as a base tobacco and add your own topping. I'm not sure how it done, perhaps a spay of vanilla extract might work. This is interesting and worth while, keep us in the loop as to any new information.

Perfection Plug Burley: Sweet and nutty this Burley duo offers an honest tobacco taste in a pleasant smoke.
Ingredients: Cube-cut and ribbon Burley.
“A true ‘Puritan’ cut plug…Excellent and mild to smoke…can be used as a base to blend your own” –Jack Uhle
blending. Ingredients: Straight, pure ribbon burley.

Just came off commenting on a similar "aromatic" thread and PD summarized my feelings. I just don't put most scented Lakeland Flakes into the "aromatic" category. Most I quite enjoy, and I do taste the floral casings, but it doesn't seem to impact the smoke coming out of the bow end of the pipe. To me, an aromatic is more in the smell of the second-hand smoke wafting up from the bowl rather than the taste of the smoke stream I"m exhaling.

I've got about a dozen different Boswell blends, they all smell glorious in the pouch, and all fall at various levels well short of what I expect from a good tobacco. Mixed with 1792 or a stout rope helps, but still not what I would hope for.

Natch

I have found a few that fit the bill - good base tobaccos that don't get buried by the toppings, toppings that are not Lakeland scents..

Gawith Christmas mixture 2007 - good base tobaccos and a bakery on top

C&D Reverie - a black cav and cubed burley base that hold up nicely to the hazelnut, has a bit of perique,Latakia, and Turkish - the burley really takes the center here

If I were to add a Boswell it would be Northwoods, but it is a bit on the sticky side

I will be getting the box pass just before you Puff - if you like I can include a tin of either...

And of course - MacBaren vanilla creme flake - don't know how I forgot that one...

pipetongue1":yw8n1rxk said:
pd, I assume you've tried Uhle's 300, if you could find an importer of G&H's Garsmere fl., Va./Burley, you and I like some of the same tabacs, I got a sample of Sterling's Double Eagle it wasn't for me I'll send it along if you want Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:
I remember your reaction to the Sterling :shock: :evil: , I'll pass :lol: I'm going to try some Uhle's 300 with my next order, I'll be due to restock on the perfection plug and 00 in a few weeks. Grasmere flake might be worth trying to find (Mike at Mars could probably get me some if I'm patient) but it is a Lakeland, isn't it? With Coniston plug, BCF and 1792 I'm pretty well covered with Lakeland tobaccos, those are fantastic.

Midnight Blues":yw8n1rxk said:
... maybe you could use Perfection Plug as a base tobacco and add your own topping.
I was thinking this too, maybe mix in some strongly flavored cavendish from C&D.

gandalfpc":yw8n1rxk said:
C&D Reverie - a black cav and cubed burley base that hold up nicely to the hazelnut, has a bit of perique,Latakia, and Turkish - the burley really takes the center here. I will be getting the box pass just before you Puff - if you like I can include a tin
That might be interesting.... :)

Sillem's Black is also interesting - Black Cav, Latakia, Burley, Virginia - good topping - don't have a tin open at the moment, but I remember the topping as vanilla...

The Sillems tobaccos are very good, I especially like the Red and the Blue, and Solani tobaccos are always fantastic, with the unfortunate exception of their White and Black, which his like sucking on a blowtorch.

If I were to include those where the topping overpowered the tobacco, but were solid in their own rite with quality bases...

Solani Sweet Mystery
Stanwell Vanilla
Stanwell Melange