Ascorti pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a Savinelli estate and really enjoy how it smokes. I began researching other Italian makers and am interested in Ascorti. They seem to be much less prevalent on the estate market than other makes and it's even more difficult to find smooth finishes (my preference).

In my experience, I can usually find decent Peterson, Stanwell, and Savinelli estates for around $50-$60 on eBay. I have struggled with Ascorti though on eBay, although I have found some on other estate pipe sites for under $100.

Does anybody have any experience with Ascorti? Love em, hate em? High value, over-priced? Worth owning one or should I look at other Italian makers or get another Sav?

Thanks Dave, that was a great read. I'm certainly leaning more towards acquiring an Ascorti after learning the history of the infighting and Peppino's work at Castello and Caminetto. I'm just not sure how much ($$$) I want one.

I've picked up one or two, they're decent smokers that make for a budget option to Radice/Castello. They offer pretty much the same finishes and of course, the same italian school of design.

That being said, where Savinellis come in many different sizes, Ascortis tend to be uncomfortably heavy, at least if you want the option to clench. I'm considering getting rid of mine.

Edit - Oh, and I second Peetes suggestions, minus Moretti ;)

Retrogasm":wj46lz58 said:
Ascortis tend to be uncomfortably heavy
That was my experience, based on having had only one. Felt like it was made of lead. But it smoked heavy latakia blends like no other pipe I've ever owned. Fine grey ash, almost never needed relights, kind of a nutty flavor, real or imaginary, added to the tobacco, etc. Wish I still had it.

Hrm, might have to put a few rounds of latakia through them then, see what happens. Of course, if it smokes well I wont be able to give them up, and five years down the line I'll have jaw muscles like a rabid badger.

dsc_0010.jpg

Drill out a sledgehammer really prurty-like and design it to smoke well, and you'll be pleased with Ascorti.

They're not my thing, but the weight is the only universal complaint I've heard about Ascorti. The Tinder Box here in Reno flogs a lot of 'em, mostly full-bent "hangar" shapes that saves any timid jaw muscles from heavy lifting.

Get a jawline like the Mussolini of yesterday, today.

Mussolini_mug.jpg

8)

I have one. It is indeed heavy for its size, but it is a very good smoker. I probably wouldn't seek out another, but I would buy one if the price were right.

I can't give you too much information on new Ascortis. Of course, as you probably already know, the older Ascortis were introduced years ago when the company that produced Caminetto pipes broke up into several different entities. So the early Ascortis which appeared on the market right after the break up of Caminetto were very good, dry and sweet smoking pipes although as has been mentioned tended to be a bit heavy for their size. Interestingly enough the original Caminetto company was started by a former carver and employee of the Castello pipe company much like Ashton and Upshall pipes were created by former employees of Dunhill and Charatan. Likewise Alfred Sasieni was a former employee of Dunhill. The rumor is, and it is only a rumor Mr Sasieni created the four dot pipe because he was implying that the Sasieni four dot was four times better than the Dunhill one dot. Who knows? But it is fun to speculate.