ashing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
How often do you guys ash your pipe, or do you just tamp all the way to the bottom. I haven't read anything about this subject, but I find if I ash twice or 3 times in the course of a bowl, once it goes out of course, it helps to keep the bowl lit longer. Is this wrong or is it a personal smoking technique that has no right or wrong?

I tamp and don't dump anything until I finish the bowl, unless I plan to DGT the pipe. Then I remove ashes and embers while the pipe is still warm.

Sometimes half way through the bowl I will gently dump whatever will come out then I tamp and dump the rest when I reach the bottom.

s.ireland":q9nl1m3s said:
Sometimes half way through the bowl I will gently dump whatever will come out then I tamp and dump the rest when I reach the bottom.
Same here. Usually though, I just tamp nearly to the bottom. Once I have trouble keeping it lit towards the end, I stir up the bowl, smoke till it goes out and repeat a few times.

Don't dump out the ashes at all, except for rare circumstances when the bowl is nearly finished but the ash is making it harder to re-light.

Smitty":ls5x4j8d said:
s.ireland":ls5x4j8d said:
Same here. Usually though, I just tamp nearly to the bottom. Once I have trouble keeping it lit towards the end, I stir up the bowl, smoke till it goes out and repeat a few times.
This, though I rarely have to "repeat a few times."

I sometimes dump, especially with a tall
bowl before a relight. I gently disturb
the ash with my pipe nail and dump.

Depends on the pipe's design for me. If the tobacco isn't getting enough oxygen, I will ash and aerate with my pipe tool to get the tobacco burning properly.

I used to regularly dump ash at least once, but I'm avoiding it now, and I think I like the results. Just a gentle tamp now and again.

Hermit":tbr8daqg said:
I sometimes dump, especially with a tall
bowl before a relight. I gently disturb
the ash with my pipe nail and dump.
This. ^^^

Kind as what was alluded to, depends on the pipe and tobacco...

...more often than not, I "tamp and tip," where I gently even the tobacco's surface, and slowly rotate the pipe into the ash tray... whatever falls out stays out, whatever stays in, stays in.

I've had to be careful when mixing the bowl toward the end, though, I've gotten a few mouthfuls of chunks a few times. :suspect: ...so I tend to leave it alone. Toward the back of the bowl I'll poke the unburnt stuff out a little to get more air flow back there before I finish the bowl, but at that point, no more ashing, really.

"tamp and tip"
Ever thought about opening your own B&M?... the Tamp & Tip.
... or maybe a children's toy?
It just rings... market me.
:) Milan

Milan":q9oxo0e8 said:
"tamp and tip"
Not bad, Milan... if I had the capital, I could think of much worse businesses to open up... we need a pipe B&M here, too... 8)

Milan":94f76p4k said:
"tamp and tip"
"Tamp & Tip- For all your pipe & circumcision needs!"

It depends.If you want to win a smoking competition,you have to ash(with the tamper).If you just want to smoke with no hassle,then just leave inside the ash;tamp and relight when needed.Ounce you learn the basics,only time and experience will let you know what works better for you.When that happens you would enjoy your pipe even more.

I should re-state my original post.

I have an oom paul and if I don't dump the ash every once in a while I end up with a lap full of ashes.:shock: :D

I love the oom paul shape for reading as it's out of the way and clenches more comfortably than anything else. The drawback is that the bowl ends up almost perfectly in line with exhalations from the nose. If I have some ash built up then the ash gets blown out of the bowl and ends up in my lap. It's taken me a few times to learn, but nowadays I either rememeber to tamp a little more often or dump the ash about half way down the bowl.