Back to matches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the past several weeks I've gone primarily back to matches - the wooden strike on box type mostly and not the large wooden strike anywhere kind.

I was mostly using my Zippo, but have been having intermittent problems with it. Not sure why as I've addressed all the issues like flint/wick/fuel/etc. And I do have a soft flame IMCO which also gets occasional use.

Dunno why but just started using the matches and find I really like them. Nice soft flame, and although it takes two to get things going there's something about the interaction with the light I enjoy. Kind of like back to basics I guess.

Ya, there's the initial sulphur blast but I let that burn off for a second or so and I'm good to go. Have a whole bunch of these matchboxes from various sources. And when I run out they're pretty darn inexpensive.

I might have found my new/old favorite way to light!

:joker:

Cheers,

RR

:cheers: Oddly, I've been doing the same recently (although no problems with my Zippo). I put it down to the fairly cold weather (for here at least, 30s & 40s) and some atavistic desire to have some wood smoke around in such a chill, though

I only use my lighters when I go out with my pipe. When I'm home it's wooden matches for me. Has been for over 40 years now ! I personaly feel it's THE ONLY way to light a pipe :p

I love matches but I hate rim char so.... IM corona for me!

I'm a match guy myself, for the same reasons you posted. Outside, I'll take a Zippo but definitely prefer a wooden match.

riff raff":0ghhsitw said:
I'm a match guy myself, for the same reasons you posted. Outside, I'll take a Zippo but definitely prefer a wooden match.
I think we have to remember the inside/outside divide -- some of us are primarily outdoor smokers for a variety of reasons. For us, going to matches requires a bit of luck, even on a still day!

Any tricks for matches on a re-light, when your deep into the chamber?

Kelhammer":88iiqb12 said:
Any tricks for matches on a re-light, when your deep into the chamber?
Stuff you probably aleady know: Puff the flame down. You only need to touch the tobacco with the flame. If the tobacco won't stay lit, dump it. If you still want to smoke it, dump it, dry it, and sprinkle it on the top of your next bowl. Also, don't drop the match into the chamber.

Matches do work great. With how windy it gets around these parts though, and with smoking out on the ranch and such quite often matches don't work out so well. Usually bring my regular zippo with me (with the wind screen) and it works quite well.

Though if I am inside or at the B&M I will either use matches or a lighter, all depends.

I almost always use matches, even outside, although timing lights with wind gusts can be a challenge.

How to avoid rim char -- Get the match down close to the rim, lating horizontally across it, if you can. Remember you only need to light the surface, not suck the flame down to the airhole. At the end of the smoke, wet a fingertip with salive and touch up any scorches.

When possible, I like to use the match to light a dry pine needle and use the pine needle to light the pipe. No particular reason.

I love striking matches indoors for a pipe. I think the reason is that my Gramps told me a story of his Grandad once. He told me he always smoked his pipe indoors even though his old lady didn't like it. He had an old (I'm guessing it was new at the time) standing ashtray that filled up at the bottom, and you'd have to take it apart to get everything out. All ash/matches/butts, just fell to the bottom of it. My Gramps said he visited regularly and every time his Gramps had him take out his ash. He said it was more matches than tobacco, and when talking about it to him later in years, he found out he spent more money in matches than he did in tobacco. Apparently the old man had one hell of a time keeping a pipe lit.
Out doors, I use my pipe Zippo, or my IMCO lighter. Pull out the candle bit of it, and it's like a match.
Zach

And I don't have a problem with charing the bowl when using matches... Maybe I'm doing it wrong? :lol:
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":ky0zmk1s said:
And I don't have a problem with charing the bowl when using matches... Maybe I'm doing it wrong? :lol:
Zach
Not by my experience. I find the match is more friendly to the bowl than a lighter.

Sold my lighters; prefer matches in any case.

Bottom bowl:

1. robust flame
2. insufficient O2 for the match inside bowl; suck the flame down to the tobacco.

Yes, matches are easier on the pipe's rim than a torch lighter. But the match can leave some combustion byproduct that is easy to remove. When I light the match, I let the initial flare burn off and then lay the match East and West across the bowl, then puff to light the surface, and then proceed with the matter at hand. As I light, the match is physically in contact with the pipe's rim. A dab of saliva and a soft cloth removes any residue. I don't use paper towels, because they're rough enough to take off some stain along with residue. I like wooden kitchen matches. A tin from Peterson University Flake makes a great little case for a day's supply of matches.

Far inferior! You can't carry a supply of Bics in a Pete UF tin.

Matches are my preferred tool for lighting a pipe. Bic's are not a bad way to go however.

For the hell of it, I purchased a Zippo lighter with the pipe insert and I cannot get over the taste of the fuel that comes through when using it. It ruins the pipe for me.

One day, I would like to own an IM Old Boy.

DrumsandBeer,
I want a Corona also...
Now for pipe Zippos, are you talking this;

Or are you talking this;

I use the first, and have no problems. I do feel as if the second would be dumping butane into your pipe.

Zach