Bad Cuts

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Don't you hate it when you're not paying attention and cut the cap too deeply, resulting in having to coddle, throughout the smoke, that part of the wrapper that unravels? I don't do it often but when I do. . .in the end I feel fortunate when I get to smoke the whole cigar after having done this.

I use a V cut and avoid all the problems pretty much.

happened to me in vegas at a blackjack table. one a really nice cohiba. i was sadface.

V Cut or Punch. Learned the hard way once with a stogie that was from a "Small Caribbean Island"............

Been there! :fpalm:  I usually use a guillotine with a back or I place the cutter on a flat surface and use that as a guide. I've tried V's and punches but I like the draw from a regular cut. :shock: 

I have experience with the double guillotene cutters, and once I learned what the proper cut is, I've never looked back. That being said, I take the same care when cutting my cigars as I do when I'm packing my pipes. I will never try and rush either of the acts as they can make or break your experience.

Northern Neil":t0cubfhd said:
I have experience with the double guillotine cutters, and once I learned what the proper cut is, I've never looked back. That being said, I take the same care when cutting my cigars as I do when I'm packing my pipes. I will never try and rush either of the acts as they can make or break your experience.
+1.  I've owned a Xikar STK for years (Christmas gift) and once I learned how to use it (the trick is knowing I need to cut a small slice off the head's cap and how I needed to use this tool to do this correctly) it's worked slicker than snot LOL.

I've never been a fan of punches, though a friend has a Palio cutter and it works great.

I've also got a back-up Cuban Crafters all stainless double guillotine cutter I keep in the car.

Both the CC and the Xikar are guaranteed for life.  I did have to return the CC after I dropped it in the parking lot a couple winters ago and found it in the spring; it was pretty beat up LOL.  Cuban Crafters replaced it for free, no questions asked.

I've used punch cutters but don't care much for them ... their sole virtue, for me, was during the years when the gung-ho TSA idiots were confiscating cutters left and right, that little punch cutter on my key ring sailed through their inspections without a glitch every single time.

I use both Xikar and Palio guillotine cutters (Xikar in my 'cave' and Palio in the car) and have a nice little V-cutter which works well and which I like on the cigars which it works best on ... and yes, I've made at least my share of bad cuts and have probably used up part of someone else's share as well but cutting off just the right amount is something one learns by dint of experience ...