Balkan/English Forward Blends...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedPiper62

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking for some Latakia-forward blends w/ Turkish Orientals thrown in as condimentals... Can you kind folks recommend some off of the beaten path other than the usual blenders ( or main blenders) & thanks so much. Pied Piper62

Other than making your own blend exactly how you want it, have you tried:

Cornell & Diehl Star of the East or the Flake version
OR
G.L. Pease Odyssey

Both are Lat forward blends. Look them up on Tobaccoreviews and see if it's a blend you would/might enjoy. If your a Latakia lover you need to try both, just my opinion. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

In your personal opinion not from what you've heard, which G. Pease blend is the most Latakia-forward? I've conflicting reports between: Odyssey, Abingdon, Gaslight Westminster and Quiet Nights. And, I usually stock-up on tobacs once a month. Do you consider SPC's Plum Pudding a fairly Latakia-heady tobac? Thanks for all... LeRoy (PiedPiper62)

Gaslight is a bit bolder then Odyssey. I've enjoyed them both in the past and have some aging. 

Also try Captain Earle's: Ten Russians with some age it's one you'll enjoy. 
In order of my Favorites:
Gaslight 
Odyssey 
Capt. Earle's Ten Russians
Star of the East

But, everyone's taste can/will be different. Purchase a tin of each and stock up on your favorites. You won't be disappointed with any of the above mentioned. 

PS
SPC's Plum Pudding is a nice light dessert blend

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Try Latakia Junction - via 4Noggins in the John Patton bulk blends.

"50% Latakia, 30% Virginias, with smaller amounts of Turkish and Cigar Leaf make this a smokey and sweet choice that is both tasty and smooth"

All of John's blends are epic.

http://www.4noggins.com/john-pattons-latakia-junction.aspx

YUP^^^^^^^^^What Blackhorse said is true!! It's a fabulous bulk Latakia blend. Oh, I'm a BIG fan of ALL of John Patton Blends 

But you will want to one day try the others  :twisted: 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I'll add another vote for Star of the East. That blend sends me right to my happy place. My name is Bryant and I am a (proud) Latakia-fiend.

It's unfortunate that Park-Lane Tobacconist doesn't have some distribution and that they're incredibly expensive. The Bonacquistis make some fine, fine English blends. PL-11010 and PL-11012 are 75+% latakia. I've tried those and a couple others, and they have all been top shelf blends. I've never restocked because of the prices, but that notwithstanding, I could be stuck with any of them and be a perfectly blissed-out pipe smoker. Very, VERY nice.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/418/park-lane-tobacconist

In the same high luxury league, but much more affordable, you'll find B&B Tobacconists Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard. I will contest the reviews and say that I never thought of 965 when I had it. To me, 965 was an all day, every day blend. While rich and smooth, it was reserved. Beck's is richer, smokier, and more savory, like something you might save for after dinner or for a nightcap. Above the fold.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3367/b-b-tobacconists-llc-becks-ol-limey-bastard

I suggest C&D Byzantium. I'm a heavy Balkan Blend smoker and I smoke this every day. Very herby and unmistakable orientals in it with a proper proportion of latakia, and, it's available in bulk.

The Balkan that I've smoked recently which reminded me of the old 759, the benchmark for Balkan blends, is the Balkan Blue as blended by McClelland but unfortunatly only comes in 50 g tins which makes it rather expensive per lb. :twisted:

Peretti Tashkent. Lots of Oriental leaf and a fairly good amount of latakia too boot. Wonderful mixture.

Yarnspinner68":n0act6ze said:
I'll add another vote for Star of the East. That blend sends me right to my happy place.  My name is Bryant and I am a (proud) Latakia-fiend.
Hello Bryant, I'm a proud Latakia-fiend myself, and relish every smoky morsel... Best, LeRoy

Blackhorse":hir1gnfr said:
Try Latakia Junction - via 4Noggins in the John Patton bulk blends.
"50% Latakia, 30% Virginias, with smaller amounts of Turkish and Cigar Leaf make this a smokey and sweet choice that is both tasty and smooth"
All of John's blends are epic.
http://www.4noggins.com/john-pattons-latakia-junction.aspx
Lonecoyote":hir1gnfr said:
YUP^^^^^^^^^What Blackhorse said is true!! It's a fabulous bulk Latakia blend. Oh, I'm a BIG fan of ALL of John Patton Blends 
But you will want to one day try the others  :twisted: 
KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Anyone ever find out what happened to John? Last I heard, he was in a nursing home. Is he "still with us" or did he pass?

DrumsAndBeer":glvvdsh2 said:
Peretti Tashkent. Lots of Oriental leaf and a fairly good amount of latakia too boot. Wonderful mixture.
In addition, Peretti's Oriental 40

A fabulous oriental latakia blend can be easily mixed yourself. Mix 30% or to taste of McC Yenice Agonya with C&D Engine 99. Peter Stokebbye English Oriental Supreme works well also instead of Engine 99

DoverPipes":0gossehs said:
Anyone ever find out what happened to John? Last I heard, he was in a nursing home. Is he "still with us" or did he pass?
Dover, From what I understand, John is no longer with us.

This is based on a thread that I came across on a pinball forum that he was once an active member of, as well as a listing from a tobacco seller who had referred to him as "the late John Patton." :(

Pity about John Patton. Sad to hear.

Back when I was into heavy lat blends, C&D Billy Budd kicked my arse around the block! Flavour and strength....

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

DrumsAndBeer":nkshemvo said:
DoverPipes":nkshemvo said:
Dover, From what I understand, John is no longer with us.

This is based on a thread that I came across on a pinball forum that he was once an active member of, as well as a listing from a tobacco seller who had referred to him as "the late John Patton." :(
I figured that. As I remember, he was in very bad shape when he went into the nursing home. I know, several people tried to reach out to him, myself included, but he "dropped off of the face of the earth" so to speak. Not sure what his family situation was but it appeared he was on his own. Sad to say the least. I used to chat with John quite often through this and other forums. He was a "beta tester" for my "DoverPipes HurleyBurley Blend". He was a font of tobacco knowledge and I think of him as the "poor man's" Steve Books (RIP to Steve also :cry: ) in that he really could put together some incredible blends with some of the best aged tobaccos money could buy. John was special in that regard. He was a man who could turn lowly burley tobacco into something really unique and special. He will be missed. :(