Balkan style

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
William: Maybe, however WTF, as long as there is latakia tossed into the blend it's a satisfying experience. I like the Brits just as much as the Asians.

puros_bran":vxksdx5u said:
Are you guys for real going to argue tobacco with Greg Pease?
That would be amusing if he stops by--for a few seconds, anyway. :lol: I doubt he will, though, I'm sure he's already explained it once or twice...someplace...somewhere... :p

8)

I didn't mean to start such a dust up. But I learned quite a bit. Now how about some suggestions as to some other tobaccos to try that are in the same vane as Charing Cross. And are there any opinions on Charing Cross out there? I personally like it quite a bit.

LIPIPE":kx9118mp said:
William: Maybe, however WTF, as long as there is latakia tossed into the blend it's a satisfying experience. I like the Brits just as much as the Asians.
Amen. Being a Balkan lover, I've come to expect an abudance of Latakia in a Balkan. Many I've smoked are refered to as Lat bombs. G Pease pretty much taketh the words out of my mouth so I sayeth no more.

desertpiper":qo0qzyfx said:
I didn't mean to start such a dust up. But I learned quite a bit. Now how about some suggestions as to some other tobaccos to try that are in the same vane as Charing Cross. And are there any opinions on Charing Cross out there? I personally like it quite a bit.
You might give GLP Miridian a try. It's as good as CC but just a tad different.

Blue Mountain and Black House are good too.

Sutluff makes a Balkan called Balkan Luxury Blend 957 that's full in latakia. It's in their private stock line. Not like CC or miridian but still good

Kyle Weiss":4lxboepo said:
puros_bran":4lxboepo said:
That would be amusing if he stops by--for a few seconds, anyway. :lol: I doubt he will, though, I'm sure he's already explained it once or twice...someplace...somewhere... :p

8)
Been here. Posted the link. Bought the shirt. Where you been, Kyle? Didn't read page one? ;)

Pretty cool getting a reply from G.L. Pease himself. I'm new to this so I didn't even realize who he was when I read his first entry.

glpease":n1ywgaxq said:
Kyle Weiss":n1ywgaxq said:
puros_bran":n1ywgaxq said:

8)
Been here. Posted the link. Bought the shirt. Where you been, Kyle? Didn't read page one? ;)
Awesome. I was just clowned upon by Greg Pease when I wasn't with it. :cheers: FML! I'm a star! :lol:

(Dear Mr. Pease, mea culpa, my brokearse has been working again as of late, and it's been shown I can't afford to pay attention--one begets the other...at least I had your ideas and method right, just the wrong order. :p )

8)

desertpiper":rcya4tbv said:
There was an interesting thread, obliquely about Charing Cross, in another forum. I don't know if non-members can read posts there, but here's the link. The first post is the germane one, though it's quite long, and may not seem like it at first, but read on. Quite an honor!

http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5115

williamcharles said:
desertpiper":opunirx5 said:
You might give GLP Miridian a try. It's as good as CC but just a tad different.
To my personal tastes, Meridian is the most balanced of the medium-Latakia blends I've done. I'm often asked which is my fave, and I can never really answer that, but Meridian would be one of five that I took with me on that Marooned on a Deserted Island holiday.

I've learned not to wince when "Balkan Sobranie" is brought up in forum (or other) discussion. Since it is such a Holy Grail to some, (and I have yet to try the original-original, or crack open the tins of the new variant), but high praise indeed for Charing Cross. I thought it might have been a little full for my palette, but I'll have to get some and decide for myself, with all confidence in your (Greg's) ability! 8)

(PS--the reverse engineering and side-by-side photo/text comparisons were some of the best I've seen...)

taharris suggested Charing Cross, after I told him I liked the oriental he sent me. Did a little research, purchased two oz tin, and was very impressed. Read the blog from the other site that mr. pease suggested. From what I learned recently just confirms what I'm liking. Already purchased an 8oz. tin. This is my go to stuff.

I was part of the tasting group on another forum Greg refereed to that compared some 1970 Balkan Sobranie with Charing Cross. They aren't identical, but I can definitely say that CC bore a pretty decent resemblance to it. The main thing the experiment did for me was to reinforce my belief that many of the more modern Balkan blends are much more to my liking, but it's all a matter of personal taste! CC didn't float my boat, but I still think it's a superbly executed blend and I've not tasted anything like it except for the the vintage Sobranie. I just prefer my smokes with a little more sweetness and complexity. To use a musical analogy, CC is very heavy on the low notes but a little sparse on the high ones. I like Odyssey, Maltese Falcon and Samarrah a lot more, but I can see how others would feel differently. One reason I like Greg's latakia blends so much is that he's got something for just about everyone -- it's just a matter of which one appeals to you personally.

jj1015":9vpsngyo said:
One reason I like Greg's latakia blends so much is that he's got something for just about everyone -- it's just a matter of which one appeals to you personally.
This. 8) Even Greg's blends I have tried that weren't up my alley I didn't hate. Kind of like how I don't dig even brilliant dishes with mushrooms--I'll eat 'em, I can appreciate they're well-crafted and executed, but I never get the craving since they aren't my idea of a good time. I simply choose a dish both the Master Chef loves to make, and I enjoy to eat.

"Will I like GL Pease Tobacco?" versus "Which GL Pease Tobacco will I love?" (Hint: It's usually the latter--tobacco isn't Pokèmon.)

By a stroke of weird luck, I now have a sample of Charing Cross--who woulda thunk? I'll report back when I get a chance!

8)

I have always had good luck on Friday the 13th. It's the other effing days I gotta watch myself.

8)

When I first tried charing cross, it was at night about 80 deg's. in the middle of the desert. I live about 15 miles outside of Tucson, so no city lights, no street lights. Nice and dark. That was a good night.