Balkan Tobacco.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying some Balkan style tobaccos and kinda don't know where to start. I've got a tin open of GLP Ashbury and it is described as a Balkan which piqued my interest. Any one got any recommendations?

I would start with Brits Balkan Blend by 4noggins
Or Frog Morton Across the Pond.

My favorite is PS Balkan Supreme.
The Dark Lord's Odyssey and Abingdon are quite tasty as well.

G.L. Pease is the Maestro of Balkan-slash-English mixtures.

Read through his blend descriptions and proceed according to your taste.

:face:

As mentioned above...Check out GLP's blends, C&D's (SOTE, Engine #99), McClellands (the Frogs, British Woods, Bombay Extra), Charles Fairmorns's Lancers Slices, SG Squadron Leader & Commonwealth, LJ Peretti's English blends, and Pipeworks & Wilke's English/Balkan blends. Try Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian also. Just a few examples to get you started. :cheers: FTRPLT

Abington oh Abington! Welcome to the Balkan world brother. GL Pease is the Maestro of Balkans, Ashbury is good but Abington is the blend.

Although not quit a Balkan, I'd also check out Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian. The thing I love about Balkans that I think is overlooked by some is that they are not all about brutal potency. Indian curry is not about the heat, it about the spice. Its the same in Balkans, which works better with syrian latakia because it shows the weeds softer side and can be almost perfume-ish and sweet under all the spice...and then the turks and orientals shine through and all of the sudden you're dispatching the Royal Dragoons to take no prisoners but all the loot.

Okay I order a tin each for sampling from smoking pipes of Odyssey, Kensington, Charing Cross, and Abingdon. Thanks for all the suggestions!

paddy-boy":zor8xcbu said:
I would start with Brits Balkan Blend by 4noggins
My favorite is PS Balkan Supreme.
The Dark Lord's Odyssey and Abingdon are quite tasty as well.
Balkan Supreme is #1 on my list followed by Abingdon. I've been through a pound of each since Christmas.......... :affraid:

Both Lancers Slices and Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme have that certain attractive characteristic that young academics can appreciate. I believe the French have a name for it, something like; Le dirt cheap.

Natch

The most expensive Balkan Mixture is put up by Max Engel of Pipes2Smoke.It's
called Compton;s Balkan Mixture.....I bought 100grms. at the pipe show last year
in Chicago.It's worth the price to taste the very best.

Winslow :sunny:

Aaron":u1t4p4bf said:
Okay I order a tin each for sampling from smoking pipes of Odyssey, Kensington, Charing Cross, and Abingdon. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Let us know what you think of them. Odyssey and Abingdon are the two best Balkans available, IMO.

Natch":g0kav0dq said:
Both Lancers Slices and Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme have that certain attractive characteristic that young academics can appreciate. I believe the French have a name for it, something like; Le dirt cheap.

Natch
you would be Le correct.
I was surprised to find Lancers Slices to be more of a balkan blend than Balkan Sterling.

Lancer Slices is spectacular, and you get a VA fix in it as well without the VA fussiness (bite, sip smoking, etc.). You can't beat the price either.

D'.

Winslow":6ov0c6dj said:
The most expensive Balkan Mixture is put up by Max Engel of Pipes2Smoke.It's
called Compton;s Balkan Mixture.....I bought 100grms. at the pipe show last year
in Chicago.It's worth the price to taste the very best.

Winslow :sunny:
I ordered a 100gm tin of this stuff.
Compton's of Galashiels Balkan
Based on the reviews, I had to try it
Pricey is right, but hey you only live once,
or in Mr. Bonds, case twice