Bamboo Poker

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rx2man

Reaction score
I think this turned out pretty good. It's just over 6 inches in length or appx 15 cm. The bowl is appx 2 in tall and 7/8's inch wide (inside diameter). Wall thickness at its minimum point is 8.2mm's. Its 46.3 grams.

The pipe is rusticated and while is looks like a panel it is round. The pipe is black with the top and bottom natural. The bamboo is "black" and is not stained. 5/32nds stainless tubing connects the bamboo to the shank and another section at the mouthpiece. The tubing is appx 3/4's an inch long at each end. The stainless steel does not run all the way through the bamboo. This should provide a dry smoke.

The mouth piece is acrylic and is removable. It is pre formed but highly modified. The bit (right in front of the button) is 4.1mm's thick or thin in this case LOL. The button is 6.7mm's thick. Width is 17.3mm's. The airway is 5/32nd's and is tapered and flared out at the button area to provide a nice smooth transition.

lsgoodmed-600x400.jpg

rsgoodfartop-600x400.jpg

rsgood-600x400.jpg

Thanks guys, was a fun one to make. I have 3 more bowls in various stages all destined to be bamboo pokers as well. Just finishing up a bamboo cutty 1st. Is my 1st cutty so its been interesting trying not to screw it up

Beautifully done.  Absolutely stunning.  Brilliant combination.

I like it.

Everything about that pipe is spot on, love the combination of rustication with the strips of smooth Briar, that bamboo extension is fantastic and the stem is perfectly in balance, stunning work, BRAVO. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Its funny as I have 3 more in the works. I had 2 commissions from the same person and this was one of 4 that just did not go right for what was wanted. Not an issue as now I have 3 more bowls very close to being finished. Never thought I would make so many pokers lol.

I really like a pipe with bamboo incorporated into the shank, as it is very functional and creates a dry smoke. I really like the color combo on this pipe as well. :cheers:

What a beauty. I'm continually amazed by the talent of some BoB members.

Partly because I have none I suppose.

:geek:

Thanks Dutch and RobJ. I nearly gave up on making them and then one day it just came together and could get the hands to do it.

I was looking for the solvent used in vulcanite/ebonite and read that ebonite the plastic was developed as an alternative ebonite the wood.

This should be started as a new thread but oh well. Thoughts as to using ebonite the wood as a mouth piece for a pipe where a straight bit could be used???

I read somewhere that I think it was Dunhills had an option for a silver bit. Does not sound appealing to me......teeth on metal. I am not a clencher so maybe not an issue but just does not sound right.

Ebonite wood might be interesting though.....thoughts?

rx2man":qatepu5v said:
@tarheel, I have not made a pipe yet with only a vulcanite stem, always bamboo and vulcanite or acrylic.  At some point I want to do silver work as well but that is a ways away.

If you want a variation of that with bamboo then that is something that would interest me.

Could do a variation of below

http://www.smokershaven.com/michael-lindner-pipe-bent-bulldog-w-bamboo.aspx
Ah if i were to have bamboo on a pipe it would have to be an elephant foot.
Walt-Cannoy-Handmade-Elephants-Foot-Bamboo-Briar-Pipe_1920.jpg

timthumb.php

0200.jpg

Wow, those are pretty cool, have seen them in passing on the internet but never really got a close up look. You cant even use a lathe on em. Thats pretty much all done by hand or a belt/disc sander and then hand filing. Pretty sick looking pipes.

Absolutely a beautiful pipe, sir! All of the elements seem to work together very well aesthetically speaking, I can only imagine that it smokes as well as it looks. Well done