Batman Co-Creator Bill Finger

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
For those interested in the subject of Bob Kane's neglectful credit of co-Batman creator Bill Finger - who, to many of us, really is the major creator of Batman - you may find this article by my friend Mark Evanier worth your time: http://www.newsfromme.com/2014/06/28/real-dynamic-duo-kane-finger/

A great many people in the comic book business believe it's past time to give Bill Finger the co-creation credits he deserves for his contributions to Batman. Finger helped design the Batman costume as much as Kane did, created the Bruce Wayne identity, Batman's origin, the Batmobile, Batsignal, Batcave, Commissioner Gordon, named Gotham City, Batman's utility belt and all the weapons it holds. He co-created Robin, the Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, among many other villains and wrote most of the stories in the early years. The very first Batman story, "The Case of the Chemical Syndicate", is lifted from The Shadow story "Partners in Peril" from Nov. 1, 1936.

Finger died a pauper in 1974, never credited for a single Batman story in his life time, thanks largely to Bob Kane. Hopefully, one day, something more substantial will be done to finally give Bill Finger a co-creation on Batman.

This happens too many times in business and it's sad. Greed and ego's seem to always prevail, Sounds like it's time over due to give Bob Kane the "Finger!"

I was just talking with a friend and was reminded of the time I publicly asked Bob Kane when Bill Finger was going to get a co-creator credit on Batman. Kane shot me a very angry look, and realizing he was being watched, quickly smiled and said, "After the [San Diego] convention, I'll look into that." Well, Bob, I'm still waiting!! Maybe you can get one of your "ghosts" to do it for you.

A few years ago, I wrote a book introduction to a DC Archive and stated that Finger and Kane created Batman, hoping it would get through editorial. I was pleased to see that it did.

JimInks":514p7p69 said:
I was just talking with a friend and was reminded of the time I publicly asked Bob Kane when Bill Finger was going to get a co-creator credit on Batman. Kane shot me a very angry look, and realizing he was being watched, quickly smiled and said, "After the [San Diego] convention, I'll look into that." Well, Bob, I'm still waiting!! Maybe you can get one of your "ghosts" to do it for you.

A few years ago, I wrote a book introduction to a DC Archive and stated that Finger and Kane created Batman, hoping it would get through editorial. I was pleased to see that it did.
Very Good to hear sir!

I never knew one single instance from anybody I ever knew or interviewed who ever said one good word about Kane. His peers, ghost artists, and editors in the business all disliked him. That's telling. Btw, if you want to read the most self indulgent tombstone legend ever devised by man, read this garbage at Kane's grave.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11708

JimInks":lmh1nssl said:
I never knew one single instance from anybody I ever knew or interviewed who ever said one good word about Kane. His peers, ghost artists, and editors in the business all disliked him. That's telling. Btw, if you want to read the most self indulgent tombstone legend ever devised by man, read this garbage at Kane's grave.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11708
That's okay, God weighs a man by the true deeds he has done and not what's written on his tombstone.