Bavarian long pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Furgeson

Reaction score
I am carious if we have any collectors of Bavarian long pipes aka German hunting pipes aka Austrian porcelain pipes. I have a couple my wife bought me for valentines day and would like to learn more about them. Also looking for ideas who to display them and the extra bowls she got me. Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Also pictures of displays would be a big help. Thank in advance.

I don't think you'll find much on the pipe boards.
Antique pipes are a very old and deep hobby that has many books devoted to whatever style or era you are looking for. I've seen a few collections displayed at shows and have seen Vesz' collection in his shop. I have also visited the Burla collection in Chicago and the Valentine collection in Richmond. Theses are gone now.
I assume you've looked in P&T. I know Ben Rapaport writes about antiques pretty often.
This is a pretty good sight that Ben has something to do with. :shock:
https://www.facebook.com/tobaccopipeartistory/

Thank you for the information. I will be sure and explore the page you linked while I have time to kill at work this evening. One of the benefits of being a night guard is plenty of reading time.

Some where around here I think we have one from like the 1800s or something I'm not sure on date but it's old from my wifes german family I think.

arkansaspiper":3w23nx5u said:
Some where around here I think we have one from like the 1800s or something I'm not sure on date but it's old from my wifes german family I think.
The thing is that every GI that did hitch in post WWII Germany came home with a Tyrolean pipe and a Cuckoo Clock for their mom and dad. :shock:

This is diffrent tho my wifes dad was born in Stuttgart in the 30s and her family is still there and the Germans where trying to get her looms out of dodge in ww2

I would have to look for it. It's in a box some here I think let me see if I can find it.

The upper picture is a rack of german black forest pipes.(internet capture not mine) and the lower one is a briar tyrolean pipe (also inter net capture) I will post up some pictures when I am at home tomorrow.

Ozark Wizard":twl47rdu said:
Those are so cool!
The bowls are interchangeable by using different size cork gaskets. So you can have one stem and many bowls like a falcon or viking.Each bowl has a hand painted scene so they are individual works of art. I want to set up a display the allows me to show one or two complete pipes as well as all the bowls I have. On a wall mounted rack.

I could soooo see me sitting on a toad stool smoking one of those..... :lol!:

Ozark Wizard":991tv7lw said:
I could soooo see me sitting on a toad stool smoking one of those..... :lol!:
That my freind depends on the magic powder you sprinkle on it before you smoke it. LOL