beard oil

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I guess I live under a rock. I'd never heard of beard oil until a few days ago. The only reason I trim off my beard is because it gets to a point it gets too coarse and scratches my neck when I sleep. The prices on beard oil are ridiculous. I was hoping someone here might have an inexpensive recipe and make their own. I found this DIY version, but even it would be pretty pricey to try.

http://cedarandclove.com/natural-diy-beard-oil-recipe-revisted/

I make my own for my beard, actually.

There are a few components that are expensive, but they'll last you for a VERY LONG TIME also.

For me, I use grapeseed oil as the base(a liter is very inexpensive, and I like the fact that it is not as thick as olive oil and very much smell neutral), with about 5 drops each of lavender, pine, and lemon essential oils for a couple ounces of oil . If you've got it around, vitamin E is a good thing to mix in, however grapeseed oil has a pretty high concentration of vitamin E in it.

That's what I use, but feel free to pass it on, or modify it as you see fit!

My friend Kristen makes a beard oil/pomade (she's on etsy as iheartees, email her for info, it isn't currently listed) $5 a pop.

It's olive oil, coconut oil, and beeswax. Not stiff, neutral smell.

No goofy , it's so it doesn't stick to the frying pan when you cook it.

Regular old buck a bottle Suave Conditioner here. Might be worth trying before playing chemist or breaking the bank.

I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff has been around for a while or even a lost product, very few things are original ideas these days, something get lost in the times, and then when a trend picks up like beard growing then all of a sudden so do things from days gone by

Fr_Tom":4t3wmbkz said:
Brewdude":4t3wmbkz said:
One question -

Why?
I have had a beard for 30+ years. This is is a new one to me.
Me too Pardre. Had my beard since I was 17 (so that makes it like 44 years. Now there's a scary thought!)

Only have taken it off twice in all that time, and that was only to confirm that that my ugly mug needed some much needed.....er......enhancement.......ya, that's the right word I was going for.........and I grew it back post haste.........

:joker: 

Seriously though, beard oil is just as foreign a concept to me as I don't know what!

:silent: 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":38dmvitx said:
Me too Pardre. Had my beard since I was 17 (so that makes it like 44 years. Now there's a scary thought!)

Only have taken it off twice in all that time, and that was only to confirm that that my ugly mug needed some much needed.....er......enhancement.......ya, that's the right word I was going for.........and I grew it back post haste.........
I grew a pretty good one when I was 17, and my father hated it. He was constantly chirping about how bearded men could not get a job or a date, etc. Being a rebellious youth, I grew it out and had a good sized one - not quite Duck Dynasty but getting there. I had a girlfriend at 17 and I married her at 21, so that bit was bogus. I had this idea stuck in my head though that maybe he was right about the jobs, and so I was mustache only for my first few job interviews and I did shave it off for my wedding (mostly to make him happy). Once I hit my 30's, I decided I was over the job interview clean shaven thing. I settled on a goatee, and that is pretty much what I have had since.

When my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I think he did a hard assessment and decided he needed to make a few amends in the time he had left. Much to my surprise, he grew a beard and sent me a picture. He asked if I had any grooming tips. If I had known about beard oil, I guess I could have told him about that.

You can just use Jojoba Oil. I grow a beard out about twice a year, and use a lot of different products on it because I think it's fun.

Instead of the expensive beard oils, you can just get some jojoba oil. I squirt a few drops into my palm, then scrub my brush into the oil, and brush into the beard. It works really well. Jojoba oil is very close to the natural oil your skin produces, so it moisturizes the hair very well, which is the point, I reckon. It also does not have any odor.

Beard oil, who would of thunk it. :scratch: :scratch: 

Carter Hall, in a 1990 Ashton PCI sandblasted canadian cumberland.

I had never even hear of or considered any beard related product until a month or so ago. I was growing it out again, and was getting tired of how dry and brittle the hair becomes, not to mention the beardruff. I looked online for beard conditioner, and found the beard oils and balms...did a bit of research and decided to pull the trigger.

I picked up Honest Amish beard balm. It works well. It has a very light anise scent, and mild hold. The result is a beard that is moisturized all day, and does not tangle or snag. The hair stays soft. You can overdo it, but if used correctly the beard does not look wet, or feel any different other than immediately after application. It does feel a bit 'heavy' at that point.

I do like the product, but will most likely check out something else just because I prefer something unscented, and I would like a bit more hold - the beard tends to get real bushy when it gets longer...I try to be halfway professional looking at work.  :lol: 
Just my .02...

I have never heard of beard oil before.  I wear a pointed goatee and want something like beard wax and oil combo.  I need the shaping ability of the product.  Any suggestions? I also could use a little colorant because my beard is very light and turning white in certain areas.

I can't really speak to either of those - any beard wax would do I would think. Maybe Just for Men for color?  :scratch:  I'm going white, but it is what it is...