Beards, caps, and stereotypes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Kaplan

Reaction score
Amusing story:
I was just out buying groceries including, among other things, some Mason jars for a bulk order that's on its way. The kid manning the checkout was probably 18 or 19. He looked a bit like our Mr. Keenum. For the purpose of our story, we'll call him Nate. (that's what his name tag said, anyway)

Nate: Good evening, sir. How are you tonight?
Kaplan: Fine, thanks. How 'bout yourself?
Nate: I'm good.
(acknowledging my cap)
Nate: That's a fine looking Kromer.
Kaplan: Thank you. It's always nice to meet a man who knows a Stormy Kromer when he sees one.
Nate: Yeah. I've got one too.
Kaplan: Cool.
Nate: I don't have the beard to go with it like you do, though.
Kaplan: Don't worry about it. At least you've got a good hat.
(he rings up my jars)
Nate: Doing some canning tonight?
Kaplan: Actually, those are for storing pipe tobacco.
(Nate looks a bit awestruck for a sec, then breaks eye contact and his shoulders droop)
Nate: Aw, man! You're just putting my manliness to shame.

:lol!:

Show him your "Purple Heart" and make him feel really inadequate... 8)

I'm getting to the age where asserting dominance over the younger generation usually takes some effort. (or a spear gun) It's nice when I do it without even trying. :p

Working on a nice beard and mustache as of awhile. I may be young but I got spunk. :lol:

I'd send you a Kromer, Keenum, but I don't think they make a Gulf Coast version. :scratch:

I'll have to update my photo. George I got a big ol noggin , half impossible for me to find hats. :lol!:

lol (as I dust the ash off my wife's laptop I "borrowed")
Awesome. Totally Awesome!
:cheers:

I tried to grow a goatee, wife doesn't like beards, but my son kept grabbing my chin and whipping his arm back and forth. I'll try growing it out when he's older.

...keep going back in there, GK, smelling of woodfire and maybe some working sweat after a long day and that kid might follow you home...:heart: :lol: Nothin' wrong with a li'l mancrush.

8)

Nick Fox":uylyjve0 said:
lol (as I dust the ash off my wife's laptop I "borrowed")
That'll happen more often the longer you're on the forum, Nick. I've still got something crunchy under my left Shift key from Beetle's "crumbshot" remark. :p

I love stories like this as it frequently happens to me as well. Usually some comments about the beard and how people cannot grow them for they do not have the correct genetics or frankly are just the wrong gender. Then occasionally when I am at the local farm and supply store I get weird comments about what I am purchasing. Items to do a necropsy, looking for new blades for the surgical equipment, why I am buying handles to rehandle an axe, all in the same basket of course.

Generally amusing.

I will always remember the look on the guys face at the farm and supply store that day "Going for all the manliness points huh?" he said I was walking back to the truck ha.

That's quite a shopping list, Woodsy. I figure young Nate got off easy. If he'd been less appreciative, he might have met the surly Kaplan.

This story gets better:
I saw him in there again yesterday morning. Out of all the stuff I was buying, he asked about the jug of distilled water.
Kaplan: That's to prime my new humidor.
Nate: What's that?
Kaplan: A wooden box for storing cigars.
Nate: Man! You're just...you're like...I'll bet you've got a bunch of guns at home or something.
Kaplan:.......Define "a bunch".
Nate: What are you? Like a tug boat captain?
Kaplan: No, but I'm flattered you would think so. I'm in the log business.
Nate: Log?
Kaplan: Lumber industry.
Nate: You're a lumberjack?!!
[NOTE: Despite popular belief, I am not a lumberjack. I haven't been a lumberjack since I was 27, and even then, it's not like what you're thinking.]
Kaplan: Yes.
Nate: ..........
(I thought I might have overdone it, so I assured him I was also kind of a nerd, owned a cat, enjoyed musical theater, and quit playing goalie position three years ago because it was starting to hurt too much. That last bit seemed to cheer him up.)
Nate: Hey cool! I play soccer too.
Kaplan:...........Hmm.
(I didn't have the heart to tell him I was talking about hockey.)

I think this story just keeps getting better and better!

Lumberjack is generally an amusing misguided stereotype. One I got a lot living in New Hampshire when I did. Now all the people in Texas that I am friends with still call me "lobsterman!" for the time I spent on a lobster boat.

Silly stereotypes. Guess it didn't help I lived on Cape Cod and that jazz.

The logging/lumber industry can be an interesting one depending on what part you're in. Hope it has treated you well!

Your friend Nate was probably reared in a world where normal guy stuff was beginning to be looked at askance, and personal likes / dislikes were starting to be vetted by "social activitistas." He's probably undecided whether you're an anomaly or demonstrating retro leadership. I'll bet someone has written a thesis on "Hats as Social Communication."

George Kaplan":mi08ppdc said:
(I didn't have the heart to tell him I was talking about hockey.)
:lol!:

Being from California with the closest ice rink 4 hours away, I only played street hockey - left wing.