Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I've read through all the reviews of this tobacco and it seems like something special.

I've been off latakia for a while now since I've discovered VaPers. For me, latakia is a winter smoke and it's almost that time of the year for us on this side of the globe.

Do any of the Brothers smoke this tobacco? If so, what's it like, please?

SP - when Dunhill stopped distributing in the US for several years - this was about 2008 or so - OLB was one of the blends that came to the fore filling in the gap for a medium tasty English/Scottish, balanced by some Cavendish. I never considered it a match of any of the 965 iterations, but it did occupy a similar space and is excellent in its own rights.

hp
les

I think it's fantastic. Which reminds me, I really need to get some more.

While blended to be a 965 match, the similarities begin and end with the Cavendish. You also have to ask yourself "what version of 965 was Beck's blended to emulate? Who's tins? How old were the samples that they were using to compare their recipe to?, etc. etc. The variations in a storied blend like 965 are so vast that comparing the two mixtures is pointless.

That said though, I'd buy Beck's over the current version of MM965 any day of the week.

Altogether I think it's a must try for latakia lovers.

If your interested, my review is somewhere on this page

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3367/b-b-tobacconists-llc-becks-ol-limey-bastard

I just picked some up and in the meantime got bombed by Blackhorse and have been smoking what he sent me, so I haven't tried it yet.

I found it to be fantastic and the best newer English I've had. It took me back in time, which isn't something I've found very often in the past 10-15 years. A real old-time grace and richness in palate. Smooth. Creamy. Top shelf.

Great smoke. It's balanced and smooth with some mild sweetness under the peat moss. I can't compare it to earlier renditions of MM965,but I like it in its own right.

DrumsAndBeer":hqm6xlw0 said:
That said though, I'd buy Beck's over the current version of MM965 any day of the week.
I agree although I have a bias. BOLB was the second Lat blend I ever tried.

Someone around here used to smoke a TON of OLB, but I can't remember who, exactly...maybe Marty?

idbowman":qaq9pchu said:
Someone around here used to smoke a TON of OLB, but I can't remember who, exactly...maybe Marty?
Marty LIPIPE. He's the one that got me hooked on it.