Beebiz woes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falconer

Reaction score
Yo BoBs, I just heard from Beebiz and he wanted me to let yall know he's having trouble with his laptop. I think he's having problems with his computer also. :lol!:
so if any of you are missing him and his short (exhaustingly long) posts and replies he's sorry and will get back on board ASAP.

In the mean time you could read War and Peace to keep you prepared for his return.

Sorry Broom! I couldn't resist! We love ya man! Come back and join us soon! :cheers:

Thanks for the update BlueBird, tell him to give me a shout if he needs some PC, Laptop things figured out .... Hmmm without his computer he might just need to send the message via ... wait for it ....... carrier pigeon!
bird1.gif

AHHHHHH dang Oubaas What now, was wondering why the processor on my laptop was cool this morn!!!!!!

OMG... you guys are horrible!!!!!

Thanks for letting everyone know what is going on, my beloved Old Geezer brother!!!

BD, sorry... but, money has been so tight around here that we had to eat the last carrier pigeon for dinner last night!! :shock: :shock:

I thank you so much for your offer. But, I think I've about narrowed it down to either a problem with where my wireless network card plugs in or a possible crack in the motherboard in the same general area.

I'll be typing along, and all of a sudden... POOF... everything is gone... and the computer shuts down just like I yanked all the power from it. And, sometimes I can be typing along and suddenly everything I have typed is gone... just as if I had highlighted all the text and hit the backspace key... weird. It has already happened three times during this post.

When it shuts down, I can sometimes immediately reboot it. Other times, I will have to reboot 4 or 5 times before it boots all the way up. At those times, it will hang about 1/2 way through Windoze boot up process. And, sometimes it won't boot all the way back up until I unplug the wireless card completely. Once rebooted, I can reinstall the card and it is fine... until it gets tired again!! :roll:

These problems coupled with the fact that the left hinge broke the other night, I think it is about time to jack this old Dell C640 up and run another one under it!! I dread the pain of getting everything transferred over to another computer. But, I know it's coming! Now, if I can just get this one to last long enough to put together the funds to get another one from Ebay, I'll be alright!!!

Until I get this one fixed or can do otherwise, I may not be on BoB as much as I normally am. And, I hate that almost as much as I hate the thoughts of going through open heart surgery again!! :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: But, I will do the best that I can do!!!

There you go, Valky... another post to keep you busy for a few minutes. When you get to missing me, you can come back, read it all the way through, and take comfort in knowing that I think just about as much about you as you do me!!!!! ;) ;)

Robert

Piet Binsbergen":swisddcc said:
AHHHHHH dang Oubaas What now, was wondering why the processor on my laptop was cool this morn!!!!!!
Yep... my puter's fallen and it's having a hard time getting up!!!
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Robert

Broomtop, I think the problem is your poor computer is an exhausted rooster!

Checkya tomorrow, Valky out!

Falconer":nvzh16qo said:

Checkya tomorrow, Valky out!
Later brother!!! Sleep well!!!

Rob, I am confused, is this the same machine you are using now or do you have another????

BD, fly over and sort the Oubaas out bro!!! :lol!:

Hey OB, wish I was over there so I could help you out with your dilemma. I know how frustrating it can be without a PC. Now might be a good time to ensure that all your NB files are backed up. Google Apps is a marvelous storage facility and will also scan for viruses. Speaking of which you might want to give your laptop a good once over with an up to date Virus Scanner. :alien: Knowing Windoze too well I would suggest backing up your data and then reloading your OS from scratch (perhaps even changing OS to Ubuntu ;-) I know it's a mammoth task but it might just save you some bucks getting new hardware. Let me know how it goes :)

No, broe Piet, I don't have another machine. I'm posting from the same one that I'm having problems with. It is just one of those "comes and goes" problems. It's irritating as Hell... kind of like trying to find a short in a wire that appears to have no damage!! :evil: :evil:

BD, I wish you were here too, my broer. If I had the funds, I'd be tempted to send you a plane ticket!!! But, for that price, I could get another computer! However, I wouldn't get to share a bowl or two with you like I could if you were here!! ;)

With the possible exception of the disappearing text, I don't really think this is a virus problem. Since I'm not using disappearing ink, I don't get the disappearing text problem... unless it is a virus... or just Windoze. It does seem to have a mind of its own!!! Just in case, the virus scan is running as I type this.

I have learned that if I touch the wireless card and wiggle it just the tiniest bit, it shuts the computer down... just like I had no battery in it and the power supply were suddenly unplugged. So, that has me thinking it's a problem with the wireless card, the plug for it, or with the motherboard in the same general area.

I'd been thinking about doing a backup, HD wipe, and re-installation of the OS. But, I was sure dreading the burning of CD after CD after CD... I didn't think about storing the files on Google Apps, then downloading them after the wipe and re-install. Thank you for the suggestion.

I have a concern about doing this, though. I am using Windows Live, aka Windoze Live for my email client on my laptop. So far, I have been unable to find where the emails are stored so that I can retrieve them to save them. I've had to do a HD wipe and OS re-installation before. That time, I used the "Export" command to export my emails in a form that was supposed to be able to be read by Outlook Express. But, for some reason, it didn't work. OE couldn't recognize the files. :evil: So, I ended up loosing some very important emails.

Do you have any suggestions???

Thanks to you guys for your concern! And, thank you, BD, for trying to help!!!

BTW... I typed all of this with no problems with the disappearing text or a shutdown!!! :cheers:

Robert

Dang, good luck Oubaas!
BD, come in........ come in BD. I think its like the gynecologist who wanted to be a motor mechanic.
He scored 110% on his final exam for overhauling a motor through the exhaust pipe!

You may need to overhaul Oubaas se Masjien though the net!!!!
How good are ya bro??? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :lol!:

Piet Binsbergen":r0xe5v3c said:
Dang, good luck Oubaas!
BD, come in........ come in BD. I think its like the gynecologist who wanted to be a motor mechanic.
He scored 110% on his final exam for overhauling a motor through the exhaust pipe!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

BD, virus scan is complete. Results: a bizillion files scanned... 0 viruses found!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Robert

Piet Binsbergen":jglm0bk5 said:
Dang, good luck Oubaas!

Ok all sterilized and going in
doctor-118.gif

PM sent brother!

Brother BD, PM received and responded to!!

Piet Binsbergen":ehjxi3x8 said:
beebiz":ehjxi3x8 said:
Falconer":ehjxi3x8 said:
I thought that was about the right level of "class" for the Old Geezer... didn't you, broe Piet???

Robert

bluedigital":87vp2a9u said:
Piet Binsbergen":87vp2a9u said:
Dang, good luck Oubaas!

Ok all sterilized and going in
doctor-118.gif

PM sent brother!
OMG... Dang, BD... you could grease that finger!!!

Robert