Ben Wade -- opinions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruta2

Reaction score
Any opinion on the new line of Ben Wade pipes? Spotted a bulldog that caught my eye.

I just saw the new line.... a nice pipe for the price.... but not what they use to be, first class freehands.

I had a newer Ben Wade prince, and it was not a bad pipe. It had a "woody" flavor that I remember. The only real negatives on that particular pipe were a kind of clunky lip button (large), and some minor finish imperfections. It smoked well.

Sorry, no help here. I'm not familiar with the new line, so go for it, and give us your views so we can all be enlightened. Hope your experience will be a good one.
Doc

Guy":l98wt4jm said:
I just saw the new line.... a nice pipe for the price.... but not what they use to be, first class freehands.

Actually, the used to be nice classic English shapes before they became nice freehands, before becoming slightly less nice English shapes before becoming what they are now :)

Some of the newer ones look to be pretty well cut and finished from what little I have seen, although I haven't met one of the new generation pipes in person. The prices certainly aren't unreasonable assuming the engineering is well done.

Frost":pl2be6po said:
Guy":pl2be6po said:

Actually, the used to be nice classic English shapes before they became nice freehands, before becoming slightly less nice English shapes before becoming what they are now :)

Some of the newer ones look to be pretty well cut and finished from what little I have seen, although I haven't met one of the new generation pipes in person. The prices certainly aren't unreasonable assuming the engineering is well done.
I know history but that was before my time with pipes. I just have exprence with the many Ben Wade freehands I bought new and still have from the late 70's.

Luckily the "have to have it" thing has passed. Seriously, though, it takes about all I have to walk away from a traditional bent bulldog, regardless of the maker. (It usually takes twice what I have -- which I spend gladly -- when it's a Rhodesian, but that's another story.) But the thing is, you can find traditional bent bulldogs from a host of manufacturers (Peterson's XL15, for example), so I see no point in chasing this one.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Cheers!

I have a seventies era straight grained freehand, and it is an excellent smoker. Bought a new generation one a few years ago, and got rid of it. Just not the same class of pipe. I would just keep an eye out for an older one.

Can't help you with the new stuff, my only Ben Wade is a straight grain freehand that I bought in the late '70's.

I used to have a HUGE BW freehand from the '70s. It smoked great, but was too big for me in the end. I don't know a lot about the current quality, but I'd say give it a shot!

I have a Ben Wade freehand and I hate it. It is my least favorite pipe to smoke. It gurgles, it clogs, and it has a wicked ghost in it. However, aesthetically it is my favorite. If I were an angry, bitter man I would take it outside and punt it down the street. That said, I'm sure it is just this particular pipe and other Ben Wade's are probably fine.

Damn I hate that pipe; It was also my first ebay purchased pipe............

Bill

When I was first starting collecting pipes I thought the term “Freehand” suggested you needed a free hand to smoke it. I never tried from that time to hold one with my teeth.

Guy":bfngapwg said:
When I was first starting collecting pipes I thought the term “Freehand” suggested you needed a free hand to smoke it. I never tried from that time to hold one with my teeth.
:lol!: There's always a clown in the group.

Richard Burley":9lzwytcs said:
Guy":9lzwytcs said:
:lol!: There's always a clown in the group.
:lol!: but true

I've been smoking my new Ben Wade Town & Country now for a couple of days and it's just fine. It's a well made, quality pipe. I had to strip the wax off the stem with alcohol because it tasted horrible; other than that I couldn't be more pleased. The large stem and bit make for a good 'clencher'...I smoked it holding it in my teeth while using my snowblower this past Saturday! A good 'outdoorsy' pipe. :D

BenWade2.jpg

BenWade1.jpg

Today's Ben Wades; (I find a good smoke for the money)

Peter Wilson who worked the miracle of Ben Wade's resurrection buying the rights of the brand in 1998 from Dunhill.

To keep things simple the pipes are made at the Walthamstow plant where - according to British White Pages -
Parker, Hardcastle Briar and Dunhill Pipes & Smokers Requisites share not only the same the address
(32 St. Andrews Rd, London E17 6BQ) but even the same telefon number (020 84984000).

So does that make it another Dunhill 2nd?

Boulder":vx6ex71h said:

Peter Wilson who worked the miracle of Ben Wade's resurrection buying the rights of the brand in 1998 from Dunhill.

To keep things simple the pipes are made at the Walthamstow plant where - according to British White Pages -
Parker, Hardcastle Briar and Dunhill Pipes & Smokers Requisites share not only the same the address
(32 St. Andrews Rd, London E17 6BQ) but even the same telefon number (020 84984000).

NOPE. It's kinda like the GM plant here in my town, they made Buick, Oldsmabile, and Pontiac which were ALL DIFFERENT as we know :p Besides, Dunhill says they NEVER made seconds! A venerable firm like that would not say an untruth, would they? :roll:
As far as the current Ben Wade's, I recently looked at some and while they looked to be some well made pipes, my impression of them based on what they used to look like was they were NOT what the firm used to produce. A nice pipe for sure, but not on a par with the older pipes as I recall, but then I don't own one and the last time I held one in my hands was back in the 70's so my memory might be called to task :p

monbla256":ugukvrcs said:
Boulder":ugukvrcs said:

NOPE. It's kinda like the GM plant here in my town, they made Buick, Oldsmabile, and Pontiac which were ALL DIFFERENT as we know :p Besides, Dunhill says they NEVER made seconds! A venerable firm like that would not say an untruth, would they? :roll:
As far as the current Ben Wade's, I recently looked at some and while they looked to be some well made pipes, my impression of them based on what they used to look like was they were NOT what the firm used to produce. A nice pipe for sure, but not on a par with the older pipes as I recall, but then I don't own one and the last time I held one in my hands was back in the 70's so my memory might be called to task :p

They are just the recipients of all the briar that does not meet Dunhill's standards, most after being cut and drilled
on the same machines by the same workers.
(Dunhill only uses premium grade briar and any imperfections found during production causes it to be scrapped).
So they should be considered seconds even though Dunhill does not refer to them as such. :D