Bent vs straight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago when I started smoking a pipe, the sales person said that people have a tendency to clench straight pipes, and to go with a quarter to half bent. The majority of my pipes are quarter bent, but I have a few straights that from time to time I enjoy. It is a personal choice. You go with what feels good now, and then see what happens later.

:farao:

Amenhotep04":yhyj66cp said:
Years ago when I started smoking a pipe, the sales person said that people have a tendency to clench straight pipes, and to go with a quarter to half bent. The majority of my pipes are quarter bent, but I have a few straights that from time to time I enjoy. It is a personal choice. You go with what feels good now, and then see what happens later.

:farao:
+1 there. Personal preference is king. A well made bit will help immensely on either.

roth, great looking pipe. I am sure it will be a tremendous smoker for you. Congrats.

Bent's hang better in my mouth, but straight's take a pipe cleaner better (and look more "sophisticated" to me, not that I know anything about sophistication, mind you). My better smoking pipes come in all shapes, so I haven't experienced one type generally smoking better than the other. As we need at least a half dozen pipes to rest/rotate, you'll probably end up with some of each?

Natch

I like pipes straight. If a pipe looks like it could have come off the set of Father Knows Best, I'll almost certainly like it.

Funny thing is when friends have given me pipes they've all been bents. Maybe they're telling me that style looks better on me.