Bent vs Straight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of each and I find that sometimes my bents get a little "gurgly" from gravity pulling saliva down into the stem. This doesn't always happen, but it does if I'm doing something with both hands for an extended period while clenching my pipe. This doesn't seem to happen as much with a straight stem.

Get Bent. 95 to 5% in my collection. They just fit and I find them more comfortable as I'm a clencher.

MisterE":epqu9sja said:
All straights me. My grandpa smoked straights. My dad smoked straights. Well, you get the picture.
Then I think it's time for a change "E"  :mrgreen: 

Awesome!! Actually, with the circular bend like that it looks a little like a trumpet. The perfect pipe for me! Good call, Cart! :cheers: 

Oh! You want a trumpet, why didn't you say so?  :mrgreen: 

jefe1037":6komp566 said:
feel free to go Freudian on my last post, this guy would:
fdbd41701065f80d27ed479aadb6e208.jpg
Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe, Jefe.
A big, thick, throbbing pipe.

Out of 90+ pipes I have only 3 FULL BENT ( I count 1/8th bents as straight pipes) and that's "how I roll"  :twisted: :twisted: 

When I started smoking pipes (almost 50 years ago!) I preferred bent pipes. Nowadays I much prefer straight or slightly bent pipes. I've sold off most of the bents; still have a few which I reserve for "house" pipes.

Are you kidding BD, I'd have to clean them then. :fpalm: 
It's a pain as it is with a real bent pipe sometimes imagine trying to get these cleaned.
Besides those are just collector items to me, just for show.
I like the unusual and have somewhere around 70 or more. Yes, I have a problem,
I've never been able to decide what kind or brand of pipe to collect so I collect them all, weird, calabash's, Cavaliers, figural's (people & animals) a few meers, freehands, Silver clad's, a few antiques, Don Carlos, Mastro De Paja, etc. etc.

Probably 3/4 of my pipes have some degree of bend, but I like them all.  Similar to jefe's observation a while back on this thread, I like the bents, especially half-bent or more to smoke at home as they feel and hang so well.  But when I'm traveling or out in "public" I mostly smoke straights, as I perceive they make me look so damn cool! :roll:  

But, to put my grasp of reality into a broader context, I'm still convinced that I will go in the first round of the next NBA draft as a power forward, am amazed that every woman on earth doesn't want to have my baby, and can't believe that my student's don't think I'm the most brilliant, entertaining, captivating teacher on Earth.

Go figure, hey?

Natch

jefe1037":xsnau43q said:
i smoke both and clench both. I like the "dangle" of a bent,
alberteinstein6.jpg
Trust Albert to turn the rules on their side, "straight pipe or not I'm going to smoke it as a bent because I want to", got to love that guy.  :sunny: 

Personally I now prefer straight pipes, if you retract the lower jaw slightly the clench becomes vastly more comfortable, I do find postulating more convenient whilst 'supporting' a straight pipe, I don't know. some how it just 'feels' more humble somehow to me and thereby fits my own sense of self better, but on occasion I do rather enjoy the nostalgia of a bent stem pipe and for the longest time I preferred bent pipes, go figure huh!  :sunny: 

Oddly enough, even though I own mostly some form of bent and just prefer them for a variety of reasons, some of my latest estates and one artisan have been straight stems.

I've been smoking these a bit more lately and find them really nice. The clench factor isn't as comfortable, but there again I need to try and reduce the clenching so as to avoid the resultant bite marks.

This is an ongoing endeavour.

:!: 

Cheers,

RR

I don't mind, straight or bent, all the same to me. Out of my 50 briars, 64% are straight, 36% bent, but that's pure coincedence.

I have both, though when I counted I have more straights than bents...surprisingly tough question, and I usually favor a pipe based on shape/finish, but do find bents more comfortable and traditional/old-fashioned looking...straights have attitude and seem 'dressier'.......that said, I tend not to think about it when selecting either what to buy or what to smoke - whatever strikes my fancy I guess....and I like pointing with a straight pipe......its a great companion to conversation and better yet for argument!

I may have slightly more bents but I use my straights a bit more regularly.

In ye olde days (1970s & 80s), when I smoked only Captain Black and similar blends, I got too much gunk flowing back in straight pipes and gave up on them. These days, that wouldn't be a problem, but only four of my current pipes are totally straight (and two of those are clays). While I have a few that are 1/2 to full bends, I seem to favor those with a slight bend at the end (like the curved falcons) to a 1/4 bend. They seem to fit my totally clenched style best