Bent vs Straight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I don't own a straight.  I like tons of shapes, even those I don't own, but of my collection I like the slightly bent (Yak Rhodesian),  to the moderately bent (Pete 90S), to the full bent (Boswell rusticated nosewarmer) in that order.  It's just flat out tougher to keep a deep bend clean during a smoke than it is a slight bend.

As to the why...well, I do clench a good deal.  But I can't really do other things while I'm smoking...I start to drool and set it down, so I hold a decent bit, too.  Part of the appeal is the aspect of a bend being what I think a pipe is supposed to look like.  Can't say why, I assume it's something to do with media processing and timeline and whatnot, but a pipe is supposed to bend, in my mind.

I see lots of beautiful straights...maybe one day I'll throw a couple of bones at an estate or a cob and take it for a whirl.

This question caused me to think about my own collection.  I've sold off a good part of it over the past few years, including most of the deeply bent pipes I once favored; I currently own 44 briars, a couple of meers, a few clays, four calabashes and a solitary cherrywood.  Earlier in the thread I said I preferrred straights, and I would have guessed that most of my pipes were straight.  I took a look at the briars today and here's what I found:

7 bents
19 slightly bent (1/8 or so)
18 straight

I knew a few bents remained, but I was surprised so many were slight bents.  Just goes to show ya: wherever you go, there you are.

The majority of my pipes are 1/4 bent Petersons, Savinellis and MM cobs. I do have 3 straight Kaywoodies which I cherish because they're from the 1930's.

Bents are where it's at for me, though I can live with a slight downward arc such as on a Prince. I think it's mostly because I don't want my hand right in front of my face when I smoke.

Most of my collection is straight.  I like a longer length to my pipes and it's hard to find a bent stem pipe at the length I prefer.  But, they are all good and I like just looking at them occasionally.

Bents - i always had nothing but bents but for some reason and also due to the specific pipe and artist - I have a couple of straight on pipes. a couple of partial bents. But I gravitate to and love those bents.

I only have one straight pipe. The other four are bent in one way shape of form.

J_Rock":h9ffn7n0 said:
I only have one straight pipe.  The other four are bent in one way shape of form.  

Long time no see brother. Glad to hear from you.

mark":hk6uem7k said:
J_Rock":hk6uem7k said:
I only have one straight pipe.  The other four are bent in one way shape of form.  

Long time no see brother. Glad to hear from you.
I am glad to be back. I was just getting ready to look you up! I have been so busy with sports, coaching, and work. I need to take more time for myself and this is a good start!  :D 

I'd say I have an affinity for bents more so than straights. Bents seem to clench better for me; however, I have several straights that smoke remarkably well too. I suppose it depends on the mood I'm in, and as a sculptural artist, I like pipes that are aesthetically pleasing to me, and I smoke the pipe I think looks best to me at the moment before I decide to pack another bowl.

Another mostly clencher here, and a reader, so bents are more sensible.

However a lightweight straight works, as you can always dangle it if need be.
And pipe cleaners slip right through.