Best values in pipe tobaccos - and where to buy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakki

Reaction score
So as a newb to this I'm trying to educate myself a bit in the different tobaccos types and etc., and I've noticed there is a lot of difference in price between between supposedly equivalent mixes by various makers and even between different (online) retailers for the same product.

So I thought I'd exploit your collective experience by asking - what are the best values in the different categories of tobacco, wnd where do you buy?

Mike Rutt (Mars Cigars -- great source of hard-to-find stuff & the original, highly knowledgeable great guy)

:face:

I'll second Yak'sw response, also a warning if you're looking for cheap that's what you'll get, good tabac costs, Ken :tongue:

Not "cheap," but I'm sure that just like in everything else, there's going to be Cadillacs, Toyotas - and Kias.

No offense to any Kia drivers.

Wen GURU KEN speaks....... you listen!!! Him and Yak has just given you the most valuable advice......
We get from 4Noggins and Smokingpipes............
or.......... go score some Middleton Walnut, you'll make JP proud!!!...... Ken would probably never speak to you again!
:lol!: :lol!:

There's umpteen equivalent blends by various makers,,,they all have their take on what it should be,,,,but your tastebuds and everyone elses are different,,,so you have to do your homework and find what appeals to you in each category,,,but (as pipetongue said) you'll find quality tobacco is expensive. Not to say you won't find an inexpensive tobacco that you enjoy, but overall you get what you pay for,,,,
Figure out what you like and surf for the best price,,,it's not unusual to find tins varying by two or three bucks,,,bulk's the same way,,,
There's no easy solution, and I'm sure more knowledgable gentlemen than I will weigh in with their thoughts,,,Hermit just listed where I do most of my buying,,,

Thanks for your replies.

I think I should have asked this first:

Who sells a good sampler so you can try a variety of smokes and see what you like?

All of the above mentioned etailers stock samplers of one type or another. I would recommend the C&D samplers as a way to start (you can also get 2oz. samples of 8 blends for $40 + shipping directly from C&D).

I would also second the above re: you get what you pay for, although it does pay to shop around within that parameter (the above etailers for example sell the same items for oftentimes notably different prices).

Happy sampling!

Hermit's list is dead on - shopping those four will get you the best prices on most everything

the price I pay for quality tobacco is about:

$60 to $70 per pound for Rattrays
$50 to $60 per pound for GL Pease
$40 to $50 per pound of Gawith & Hoggarth, Samuel Gawith, C&D, McClelland bulk
$20 to $30 per pound for Stokkebye (Proper English)

these prices go up when purchasing 2oz tins of course - buy the biggest size you can when looking for a bargain

please chime in if I have gotten any of the above mixed up - off the top of my head :)

Thank you, gentlemen. I have an order for a selection of Peterson tins, some samples of bulk, pipe tools and enough pipe cleaners to clear the free shipping requirement put in.

This is turning out to be an expensive habit and I haven't even started. :lol:

Dakki":7w10ctd2 said:
Thank you, gentlemen. I have an order for a selection of Peterson tins, some samples of bulk, pipe tools and enough pipe cleaners to clear the free shipping requirement put in.

Peterson tins are a good place to start.
University flake is really good, so is Sherlock Holmes an Irish Oak...... I am cellaring University flake like a mad man!
It is a little expensive to get out the starting blocks but once you are away the pace starts to smooth nicely!

Good Luck!

gandalfpc":1uyiy0jq said:
Hermit's list is dead on - shopping those four will get you the best prices on most everything

the price I pay for quality tobacco is about:

$60 to $70 per pound for Rattrays
$50 to $60 per pound for GL Pease
$40 to $50 per pound of Gawith & Hoggarth, Samuel Gawith, C&D, McClelland bulk
$20 to $30 per pound for Stokkebye (Proper English)

these prices go up when purchasing 2oz tins of course - buy the biggest size you can when looking for a bargain

please chime in if I have gotten any of the above mixed up - off the top of my head :)
I'd agree that Stokkebye, C&D, and SG are perhaps the best tobaccos for the $-good quality and fairly reasonable price-though lotsa luck finding any SG in the US in bulk anymore. Will say, however, got my SG-when I got it-for $26-$30 per pound and can get C&D for just over $30 per pound. earl

Dakki":pn6s0cv0 said:

You have no idea to what depths of "expensive habit" you're getting into!!!! :lol!: Just keep browsing the "PAD&TAD" site. Welcome to the Dark Side of Temptation....Glad you're here!!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

FTRPLT for got to mention that we all suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder! :lol!:

Dakki":rdsah1ay said:

Tobacco is cheap.
It gets expensive when ya can't stop buyin' pipes. :lol:

pipetongue1":l8o9keis said:
I'll second Yak'sw response, also a warning if you're looking for cheap that's what you'll get, good tabac costs, Ken :tongue:
So true, but when we consider how far a few ounces goes, and how for fifty cents or so you can have a peaceful hour of bliss with a wonderful blend, it's one of the best deals going. So, spending thirty cents to fill your bowl with an OK blend or fifty cents for a top notch blend really isn't that much of a difference.

Natch

Agreed for sure.

If you're not going to park it on a chair or on the davenport and savor it, what's the point ? It's going to waste if you're not locked into it.

:face:

I don't know if this is proper for me to say but one place I'd stay clear of is Lil' Brown Smoke Shack. "www.lilbrown.com." A Tribal Smoke Shop In Yakima, WA . They have a huge selection of brand name pipe tobaccos on line at really cheap prices. Problem is after going thru all the red tape of registering, loging in and filling out form after form on the enternet, they still couldn't verify I was over 19 years old and wanted me to call them the next day to fax my drivers license. Man what a waste of my time!

It's not worth the hassle for a savings of $.50 a tin. Ole Aaron at pipesandcigars.com is as straight as an Oklahoma preacher, straight as a Kansas highway! Okay I'll, stop but my point is you can trust them. They give good service and are great communicators.

My grandpa, a cigar smoker from way back when a good'n only cost a nickel told me ...Once you find a good thing stop look'n or you'll lose sight of it.

I think the best value in pipe tobacco, price per ounce per degree of quality, is hands down Sam Gawith's Full VA Flake, 1792 Flake, and Bracken flake, when bought from Mars Cigars in the 1 lb bulk quantity. It's under $30, and I haven't met a tobacco quite as good as those for what they are, even for $10, $20, even $30 more per pound.