Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scotch or coffee with burley, bourbon with Virginias, red wine with latakia, port with cigars.

I seldom, if ever get tongue bite. I don't drink these to prevent it, these are just my tastes.

Acidic drinks are best till they call you leather tongue.For tongue bite Biotene works great.Try it .Almost immediately you feel better.

pipe dreamer":t0ei2s9k said:
For tongue bite Biotene works great.Try it .Almost immediately you feel better.
Biotene is a wonder! Also great for annoying minor mouth injuries (like the dreaded "too-hot pizza tongue burn.")

The irony is that Biotene is full of Propylene Glycol, a compound widely blamed for unpleasant smoking experiences. Of course, it isn't being combusted by an ember when youre rinsing with it.

Because of all the meds I'm on, I can't drink alcohol so I can't help you there. But I can tell you that V-8 works very well. Just don't drink the spicy one, that makes it worse.

Tried grapefruit juice...that was a mistake. So far, I'm a fan of english breakfast or Prince of Wales tea with a splash of soymilk, or, as I'm doing at the moment, straight chocolate soymilk. Mostly I smoke virginias and VaPer blends, and haven't actually tried drinking with a latakia blend....yet.

Similar to tongue bite is my hypersensitivity to perique which burns like hananeros. Anybody use beverages to counter that?

Biotene is great stuff. It removes all manner of yuck from my mouth, even the bitter taste of defeat.

Don't drink full throttle. That doesn't work at all it makes you get pie tongue. .

MisterE":08oql4hw said:
Coffee! Good strong stuff, and always black.....
It sounds fantastic. Yeah, I would have some coffee with my pipe smoking too. If it is strong expresso just to sip it along, all the better!!

Aye! It's coffee for me too, though I take it with a splash of milk! Earl Grey is superb with some mixtures too. Failing the above a glass of lukewarm water - never cold - works to freshen the tongue as well.

Don't really fancy any other drink with my smoke. I have found that lean alcohol tends to flatten the sense of taste somewhat. When it comes to my favorite malts, however, drinking Talisker while smoking Wilderness - though certainly thematic - would be like adding honey to a honeycomb.

That said, I often crave for a pint of ale after having a bowlful.

I have to agree with Muddler and Eon. Coffee or Earl Grey does wonders with the taste buds whilst sipping a good pipe. Enjoy

Water works best for me. Distilled spirits is the worst - the EtOH irritates my buds when I'm smoking.

Steve

Cruzan Black Strap Rum. Kid you not.

Cruzan is made on St. Croix (Saint Cross). We went there in 2004, visited the Rum Factory...yes they had to pry my cold clenching hands from the doors of the main building...I digress...It's not clear Bacardi rum...it has a wonderful taste.

It complements Latakia, Burley, Virginia, Oriental and Turkish Tobacco either by themselves or in a blend (Did I miss any?)

It's a 47 proof so go easy, sip slowly, savor the flavor (Savor the Flavor I better trademark that tonight, Ha ha ha)

This will make your eyes water, your heart lust and your pipe tobacco taste Wonderful.

Good Lord I wish I owned some stock in this Rum Factory!

Tak

Mineral water goes well too. Kinda helps keep the palette clean. Im having some as I write this as a matter of fact.... with a Lat laden Savinelli!! 8)

French roast Folgers, strong with sugar, on a saucer. Earl Grey, Bourbon, Scotch, iced tea in a Mason jar--all too obvious. Ever have a smoke with chocolate milk? I drink the stuff by the gallon in an effort to maintain my weight and health, just so happens to go well with burley. Seriously.

Muddler":2zdx74su said:
I think nothing beats coffee & a pipe.
I fully agree with this. I love a good cup of coffee with either my pipe or my coffee. I know this may sound strange coming from preacher, but I also enjoy the occasional single malt scotch with my cigar. I'm still experimenting to see what compliments my pipe. I smoke a mixture called cumberland gap (a burley blend).