Bids,Buying where are all the smokers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acaciavet

Reaction score
I am amazed, all the buying all the eBay auctions I don't win, Where are these pipes being smoked? I n secret bunkers deep below the Earth. I drive 30,000 miles a year and the only pipe smokers I see are at Smokers Haven on my Tuesday stop in. The last I looked cars are legal to smoke in so are front porches. I always have a Pipe in my mouth when driving and when I get ready to walk into a store I put it out and in my pocket it goes. I find this very odd and i will solve this mystery.Happy Puffing all you Ghosts!

Other than the odd trip to Milan Tobacconist or camping I pretty much only smoke a pipe at home. To me smoking a pipe while driving is uncomfortable. So odds are you won't see me with one either.. ;)

Good observation! I have in the long ago past smoked my pipe while driving. Didn't care for it too much. Ashes tended to blow all over the place. :evil: :cheers: FTRPLT

I guess we are indeed a rare breed.

Great new Av there eklektos!

Post sent from secret bunker deep in the 'shire.

Stick":3feui7l1 said:
I guess we are indeed a rare breed.

Great new Av there eklektos!

Post sent from secret bunker deep in the 'shire.
Yep! It's going to be a double feature movie night for me and the Missus. A Bugs Bunny cartoon, a Three Stooges short, and then "The Battle of Britain" and "I was a Male War Bride". So time to break out the candy box and popcorn! 8)

puros_bran":m1jzsksn said:
Bugs & The Stooges.. THAT was when America was great.
Back when Hollywood was somewhat original, instead of remaking the same crap over and over again.

I don't recall the last time I've seen a pipe smoker in the wild. :|

Even here in Louisiana, nearly every indoor space is non-smoking.
The other day at a stoplight, a guy on a motorcycle yelled to me,
"Hey blow some of that over here."

...Conscious of thread jacking.

Battle of Britain. Superb film. Keep your eye out for the 109s with, ironically a Merlin engine in them. They're easy to spot as the nose isn't the classic 109 cigar shape but deeper like the Spitfire. These 109s were borrowed from the Spanish Air Force to make the film. The Spaniards replaced the standard engine in favour of the better performing British Merlin, giving their planes a unique profile.

Oh, and, err,

'Don't you shout at me Mr Warwick!'

I just love and am always amazed at that gentleman dressed for British weather, who climbs the ladder up the side of a building with his pipe in his mouth.  Just to get a better venue for watching the Beatles playing on the rooftop.

acaciavet":mi7v56zh said:
I am amazed, all the buying all the eBay auctions I don't win, Where are these pipes being smoked? I n secret bunkers deep below the Earth. I drive 30,000 miles a year and the only pipe smokers I see are at Smokers Haven on my Tuesday stop in. The last I looked cars are legal to smoke in so are front porches. I always have a Pipe in my mouth when driving and when I get ready to walk into a store I put it out and in my pocket it goes. I find this very odd and i will solve this mystery.Happy Puffing all you Ghosts!
I would say there are just a handful in comparison to the general public but, I would chance to say 25% of who are purchasing pipes on eBay that push the prices skyward are deep pocketed collectors and 10% people whom haven't a clue of values and maybe 3% are just bidding to raise the prices for the seller.
And there might even be a few that will pay what ever just because there Dad or other Kin owned one just like it. eBay is a funny place and for all the years I've been selling and buying there I've never been able to figure out bidders, there a strange lot to say the least. ;)

There are a few of us out there that will stick a pipe in our gob anytime we are out. I won't smoke in the car but frequently walk wherever I need to go just so I can smoke my pipe. We do exist but we are a rare site to see.

Jim

Gone with the wind. Or driven underground. Other than exactly one acquaintance, I haven't seen a free range pipe smoker in years. I knew such a thing was over when I discovered that even lawyers who you knew smoked refrained in their offices. No more pipe racks or whatever on their desks, the room scented with tobacco and leather. You used to see truck drivers smoking pipes or cigars in their cabs. Cops on patrol might even be seen with pipes at one time. Not any more.

Stick said:
...Conscious of thread jacking.

Battle of Britain. Superb film. Keep your eye out for the 109s with, ironically a Merlin engine in them. They're easy to spot as the nose isn't the classic 109 cigar shape but deeper like the Spitfire.  These 109s were borrowed from the Spanish Air Force to make the film. The Spaniards replaced the standard engine in favour of the better performing British Merlin, giving their planes a unique profile.  

Stick...Spanish did the same thing with their HE-111s, replacing original engines with Merlin's. See them in action in "Patton." :cheers: FTRPLT

Don't smoke while I drive as with the steering wheel and gearshift on the floor my hands have enough to do! :twisted: :twisted: I do smoke in my house and outside when doing yard work etc. Been smoking since the late '60s and you really did not see as many pipe smokers out and about as I recall. Most folks smoked in their homes or some in their cars but mostly inside as I recall. I don't things have changed all that much really. :twisted: :twisted:

Like you, I drive a lot (50k annually), yet I also rarely see a fellow pipe smoker.
I wonder how many pipe are sold annually thru eBay?

If there is a guy in my town out and about smoking a pipe...it's me. I have yet to run into anyone else. Interesting to see how many don't smoke while driving. Some of my best smokes, especially this time of year are in the truck.

I smoke at work out on my garbage routes. I've met about a half dozen men from my routes that are pipe smokers now. However most of them were more surprised to meet me than the other way around. One of them may only be about 20 years older than me. They hang out at the local pipe shop in town, but I don't think I'd fit in socially.

I've been sharing whatever I've been smoking that day given the opportunity to do so, most of these guys smoke aromatic drug store blends. A couple of these guys didn't know dunhill still made pipe tobacco lol. The guy who owns the local shop has started carrying some dunhill and Peterson tins recently because of it.

Jevverrett":69ujhdwu said:
I smoke at work out on my garbage routes. I've met about a half dozen men from my routes that are pipe smokers now. However most of them were more surprised to meet me than the other way around. One of them may only be about 20 years older than me. They hang out at the local pipe shop in town, but I don't think I'd fit in socially.

I've been sharing whatever I've been smoking that day given the opportunity to do so, most of these guys smoke aromatic drug store blends. A couple of these guys didn't know dunhill still made pipe tobacco lol. The guy who owns the local shop has started carrying some dunhill and Peterson tins recently because of it.
Sadly they are correct, Dunhil does not make tobacco blends anymore, those that we can buy in tins over here these days. In fact they stopped making the tinned blends back in the mid '79s when McConnell started making these blends for them. They have been a tobacco in brand only since then. The only place you can get Dunhill made blends is in the London White Spot shop ( the Dunhill name is NOT associated with ANY tobacco products in Europe anymore, they go by the name of the White Spot ) . Times change :twisted: :twisted:

Either way, the dunhill brand exists and is making fine tobacco. I went into that shop today on my route to get a tin of 965, and the guy was sold out of all his dunhill stock! Peterson stuff too. He said some of his local guys started buying it up recently. I think the whole pipe smoking population just needs a nudge in most cases. Too bad there isn't any public advertising anymore.

I did get some Eric Nording pointer blend for tomorrow's run though. Says its subtly flavored, should be interesting.