Bikes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'08 Kawasaki KLR. I love being able to hop on any road in the U.S., dirt or superslab, and feel confident. I grew up on dirt bikes and then owned a couple of different Kawasaki Concours, another bike I truly loved.

I've done two IBA rides on the Concours. One SS1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours) and one BB1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours). My next IBA goal is to do 1000 in 24 hours all within my home state on the KLR.

Kyle Weiss":1ihwaw6x said:
...believe me, the "biker brotherhood" thing is great---until you're the guy on a Vespa... suddenly you're the lowest of the low, I get waves about, oh once in thirty bike passes. *laughs* Scooterists like it that way, we're the mangy dogs of the two-wheeled world. :) Nope, can't do 190MPH, but people sure look at you funny when you pass them on the freeway. 8)
:lol!: Ha! that reminds me of a local punk scooter club called "Scooter Trash", about ten or so of them will be headed down the road bearing their tat's, dyed hair and all.

It's funny this topic came up, I hvenever been a "bike guy," but lately I can't get it out of my head. I started looking at "rat bikes" online because I like the style, cheapness and DIY sort of feel.

EricJ":zaf0xhqg said:
Kyle Weiss":zaf0xhqg said:
...believe me, the "biker brotherhood" thing is great---until you're the guy on a Vespa... suddenly you're the lowest of the low, I get waves about, oh once in thirty bike passes. *laughs* Scooterists like it that way, we're the mangy dogs of the two-wheeled world. :) Nope, can't do 190MPH, but people sure look at you funny when you pass them on the freeway. 8)
:lol!: Ha! that reminds me of a local punk scooter club called "Scooter Trash", about ten or so of them will be headed down the road bearing their tat's, dyed hair and all.
Yyyyeah I know the kind...not in any clubs myself, just local rabble rousers. :p

the macdonald":1qy4dz33 said:
It's funny this topic came up, I hvenever been a "bike guy," but lately I can't get it out of my head. I started looking at "rat bikes" online because I like the style, cheapness and DIY sort of feel.
Rat bikes/scoots are cool as hell! Always a project, those things. 8)

the macdonald":thw80nk3 said:
You may have already heard of this mag, but I'll post a link just in case. Lot's of guys who can wrench, have invested around $1500-$2500 plus time and labor, and created some one of a kind scoots.

http://www.ironcross.net/

I had a sportster and always caught hell because it was an 883. Since then I've had softails, road kings, and a ridged frame I built myself and I miss the sportster most of all. Go for the 1200 kit, but put the 883 heads back on. Hold on tight and let me know what you think.

Kyle Weiss":npbze572 said:
Sorry, man, you're cool :afro: and all (I've read many of your posts), but I'm just a scooter snob. Dunno...it's like driving a 3-wheeled Corbin car. Sure they look funky, but IMHO, not funky cool. It's not about the top speed...for me cycles are all about the lean. Don't get the 300mm rear tires, or the Can Am Spyders, just like I don't get the scoots. The fact they're auto's and predominantly driven by teenagers and chicks..well, on this manly board, you see where I'm going. :lol!:

I wouldn't wave to you, but I'd sure share a Hop Devil with you 8) , 'cause that's the kinda manly, beard-sporting, bike-riding, beer-drinking, pipe-smoking brother I am. :cyclops:

And please...don't get me started on trikes.....hahaha

"The government is the servant, not the master, of the people."
Thomas Jefferson

If only this were true...

Here, I fixed it:

"The government is the servant, not the master, of a few rich people and corporations."
deepbass9

Yeah, I'm on a roll tonight...

I don't like anything about the way government is ran either, but it can't be that bad. People are still coming to America. As much as I complain on a regular basis America is still the best place to live in the world.

Now, enough about our wonderful tax dollar paid employees. Y'all get back to the real biker and scooter sissy ribbing.

Young briar fan":hhk2mppa said:
I had a sportster and always caught hell because it was an 883.
I'll open by admitting that I am no Harley fan. Or any cruiser style bike, for that matter. I've just never been comfortable on them.

That said, I've always thought it funny that the best handling and (possibly) best looking bike Harley has, the Sportster 883 always gets crap for it's size or gets called a "chick" bike. Personally, if cruiser's appealed to me, the 883 Sporty would be one of the first ones on my list.

deepbass9":m4f02nvc said:
Sorry, man, you're cool :afro: and all (I've read many of your posts), but I'm just a scooter snob. Dunno...it's like driving a 3-wheeled Corbin car. Sure they look funky, but IMHO, not funky cool. It's not about the top speed...for me cycles are all about the lean. Don't get the 300mm rear tires, or the Can Am Spyders, just like I don't get the scoots. The fact they're auto's and predominantly driven by teenagers and chicks..well, on this manly board, you see where I'm going. :lol!:

I wouldn't wave to you, but I'd sure share a Hop Devil with you 8) , 'cause that's the kinda manly, beard-sporting, bike-riding, beer-drinking, pipe-smoking brother I am. :cyclops:

And please...don't get me started on trikes.....hahaha
Bullocks, I'm not cool, just cool to other people who question cool, perhaps. :p 8) Can Ams are weird, trikes are funny-looking (though some old Harley guys that can't stay upright for some reason get them, I guess that's okay)... Be a scooter snob, I know I am. If it ain't a shifty 150 or 200, I ain't interested in it. There's a billion "twist and gos" out there, and during a gas crunch, you'll see tons of kiddies on 49cc scoots...those things suck. I love my Vespas, Bajajs, Lambrettas, Salisburys, all those. Just dig 'em. I love cafe bikes, old beemers and Hondas, Triumphs, Nortons and the like. I never felt like I fit on many bikes except those. Groups of people that like their own thing are as ragtag and ratty as their rides, and that's the way I roll, too!

the macdonald":og7nwytw said:
Yeah. I just turned 53 and have never ridden a bike in my life, but I have been thinking about taking a motorcycle safety course and buying a bike. I really like cruisers as opposed to sport bikes. I'll probably take the course in the spring and go out and find me a good second hand bike to ride.

Young briar fan":galdshxb said:
I had a sportster and always caught hell because it was an 883. Since then I've had softails, road kings, and a ridged frame I built myself and I miss the sportster most of all. Go for the 1200 kit, but put the 883 heads back on. Hold on tight and let me know what you think.
That's my eventual plan. From what I've been reading thats the cheapest and easiest way to get a good & quick HP boost. You can get the bolt on kits for very little considering what you get.

Being new to the forum, this thread actually seems the best place to introduce myself.

In the early 80’s I got my first bike – a Honda 350. I rode this bike, with my wife as a co-rider, around Little Rock for about three years. When my wife and I found out we were going to have a little girl, we sold the bike.

Fast forward to June of 2005. We are now in North Carolina, the “little girl” is 20, and is going to App State up in the mountains. I decide to fulfill my long time dream and proceed to buy a 1990 Honda Goldwing with 100K miles on it. Wife and daughter go with me to the dealership, about 50 miles away from where we live, and since the paperwork is taking so long, wife and daughter decide to head home. I finish the paperwork, get on the bike, and have an epiphany. I haven’t ridden a bike in 20 years. I have never ridden a bike larger than a 350, the wing is a 1500. I’m 50 miles from home. Hmmmm, something’s definitely wrong with this picture. What was I thinking? Oh, I wasn’t!!!

Well I survived the trip home, and, with many bruises and sprains over the next several months, learned to ride. Within a month of getting the bike, daughter decides she wants to ride so we buy her a Honda 450 nighthawk. Within a month she’s up on my Wing, and can take it in a tighter circle than I could at the time. Within the year we sell the 450 and get her a Suzuki 650 V-Strom.

Over the next four years after getting the Wing I put over 100K miles on it. I’d like to say riding in the mountains with my daughter, but truthfully most of those miles were getting to and from the mountains. We got to know almost every mountain road there was in NW North Carolina and the border areas of eastern Tennessee and southwestern Virginia. Having made new friends amongst the music community around Wilkesboro, I continued riding out west almost every nice weekend even after daughter graduated in 2008 and, fulfilling her dream, moved to Japan. It was supposed to be just for three years, but with the economy in shambles here, who knows when she'll come back.

Then in September 2009, in a moment of stupidity on I-40 coming down the mountain east of Asheville, I took the Wing into a concrete dividing wall at over 70 mph. Needless to say, the bike was toast, and I spent 8 days in critical condition in intensive care, followed by another two weeks in the hospital. Just starting to get better, five months later I suffered complications from the internal injuries received, and wound back up in ICU for another week.

You can question her judgment, but finally in July of 2010 my daughter loans me her bike, and I start to ride again. So now I ride a V-strom. It’s a great bike, and I love it, but I dream of one day perhaps being able to ride a Goldwing again. Don’t know if it will ever happen, but I can dream.

So that’s my tale. As to my philosophy on what bike’s the best – I’m glad there are so many of them. There’s enough expense and danger in riding that I think everyone should ride their dream. My dream’s obviously a Goldwing, but there are obviously a lot of dreamers on the highways and byways, each, I hope, riding theirs. So yes, I tell Harley jokes, but I wave at every rider I see, and am glad they’re enjoying the dream.

It's a little known fact that 90% of all Harley-Davidson's ever produced are still on the road, but...

Only 10% ever made it home. ;)

CACooper":33rx2ts8 said:
It's a little known fact that 90% of all Harley-Davidson's ever produced are still on the road, but...

Only 10% ever made it home. ;)
Yup, but the version I heard was 98 and 2.

Harley T-shirt: I rode my Harley at a trailer rally.

What's the difference between a Harley and a dog? The dog can get in the pickup by itself.

I'm sure we're starting a lot of trouble here!

No offense intended, and I hope none taken. It's biker humor, after all. :lol:

I've owned 3 H-D's - '89 Sportster 883, '91 Sportster 883, '89 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic. Oh, and an '06 Buell Ulysses (owned by Harley, I guess that counts). All fine bikes. The Buell especially.

The Electra Glide did strand me once (bad ignition coil) and required a new clutch, among other things. Both Sporties were 100% reliable, although they shook like a paint mixer. The Uly made a 4000+ mile, cross country trip without so much as a hiccup. Great bike. Shame they're gone.

CACooper