BJ Long Company Has Robbed Us

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigrmaster

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I just opened a new package of the BJ Long Tapered Bristled Pipe Cleaners that come 80 to a pack. The package color is now a reddish one instead of the brown, but the wording is exactly the same as the old packaging. These cleaners are half the size of the old ones thickness wise. It now takes two of the new ones to do the same job as the old ones. I could never put two of the old ones through a stem, but now I can. I am really pissed off, this is just a blatant attempt by BJ Long to take advantage of their customers. I am going to contact the company and ask them why. Now I did get these from PC which is where I always buy mine so I have not changed sources. PC is showing the old packaging, so I am going to notify them that they need to change their picture.

Give the blighters heck, cigrmaster.

(I did a bit of word substitution here to keep it PG. )

I am using Iwan Ries pipe cleaners. :p I like the plastic, resealable baggie.

Pipe cleaners were often sold in huge bundles by the cash register back in olden days. Most of those got used in craft projects of some kind and I remember girls looking all over for the right colored ones. Sticking Kleenex in chicken wire was another healthy outlet for their artistic endeavors. As I recall, both went for a dime. You might also complain about the price to those "blighters".

when I read the header, I thought this was going to be about the number in a package. I've been tempted to count the number of cleaners because some bags look a lot less full than others. I'm not at all okay with customers being shorted on number or weight. Charge what you want, but don't* screw us on what we agreed to purchase. I don't care if the package costs a nickel or $500. I expect it to not be a gram less or a single count lower than what the packaging says.

*don't, not down

Zeno Marx":t2watwek said:
when I read the header, I thought this was going to be about the number in a package. I've been tempted to count the number of cleaners because some bags look a lot less full than others. I'm not at all okay with customers being shorted on number or weight. Charge what you want, but down screw us on what we agreed to purchase. I don't care if the package costs a nickel or $500. I expect it to not be a gram less or a single count lower than what the packaging says.
From my experience, the 100-count bags of regular cleaners seldom, if ever, come with the advertised number... :x

Yes, I always count, and always weigh the tobacco tins and bulk baggies, too.

Wet Dottle":2ebtyuxq said:
From my experience, the 100-count bags of regular cleaners seldom, if ever, come with the advertised number... :x

Yes, I always count, and always weigh the tobacco tins and bulk baggies, too.
I'm glad someone does. I appreciate your diligence. From suspicions to reality...really pisses me off.

Maybe you just got a bad lot. Every once in a while I 'll get a bundle that has some defective ones. Less fuzz, more fuzz, bald sections, one with a huge ball of fuzz, a few wires with no fuzz, etc. I dont think they inspect each cleaner individually.

The Shadow pretty much supplies me with my BJ Long pipe cleaners, as it is her (his?) signature and calling card when lurking about BoB. I counted a package of them to see if it actually matched the number on the bag. Hey, it was winter, and I was really bored. :| One package, missing two. The other, plus one.

Shadow, you really know how to screw with people. :x :x :x

:lol:

MisterE":943ol5uh said:
Maybe you just got a bad lot. Every once in a while I 'll get a bundle that has some defective ones. Less fuzz, more fuzz, bald sections, one with a huge ball of fuzz, a few wires with no fuzz, etc. I dont think they inspect each cleaner individually.
I thought of that but the fact they changed the packaging color I believe means they have re manufactured them to be thinner.

The company is about 20 miles from me. You might want to call them regarding this. Bear in mind they work through distributors, apparently, as even the local tobacconists can't buy from them direct, or so I'm told. I mention this just in case you may have picked up something ersatz, in which case they would be glad to know of it. The last I heard, from a newspaper story, this was not a large operation, but a very old one run by an old man and his daughter or some such arrangement.

http://bjlong.com/

P.S. Just visited the site and the distributorship business is obsolete if ever true. You can order direct, in quantity.

Online guys are mostly all 80 packs. BM's are almost always 100'packs in the brown label. I buy them a thousand at a time from Boswell's in hundred packs. I have bought 80's on one occasion.