Black Blasted Billiard

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laherb

Reaction score
Here's a pipe I finished up recently for a customer.

IMG_3003.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg
[/img]

Abe

Nice sandblast. Looks like it would feel great to hold. Very nice job on the stem, as well.

Wow, that is a terrific looking pipe.
Tell us about your business, and where are you located in WV?

Very nice, that stem looks beautiful and comfortable.
Nice pics too.

Thanks guys.

riff raff":zp80aq6a said:

I make pipes in my spare time. I started in 2009, took off from pipe making for six month in the spring of 2010 to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. That gave me alot of time to think about pipes. Since then I spend all my free time making pipes and learning about them, that is when the woods aren't calling me. I don't have a website at the moment, I'm hoping to maybe have one up sometime this winter, I post most of my pipes for sale on this forum. Selling a pipe here and there helps pay for the hobby..... I live in Hampshire County, it's in the eastern panhandle.

Abe

Great pipe. Be nice to get big bowl from you, shoot me a PM if you have any time.

What's an estimate price on a similar pipe to this? What would the wait time be? That's a really sharp, classic billiard. It's more difficult to recognize exceptional lines in such classic shapes. Even the good ones get lumped into a general sense of quality, but then you see something like your pipe here and are moved to acknowledge that even the common can be extraordinary. I mean...of course, we know this, but I find it easy to take for granted. I need that occasional jostling to keep perspective.

Zeno Marx":ik39cfrq said:
[…] That's a really sharp, classic billiard. It's more difficult to recognize exceptional lines in such classic shapes. Even the good ones get lumped into a general sense of quality, but then you see something like your pipe here and are moved to acknowledge that even the common can be extraordinary. […]
I totally agree.

Thanks Abe, keep us posted. You chose the right spot to live since you enjoy the woods! I'm just down the road in Hagerstown, MD. I'll keep an eye out for your pipes.

laherb":a6251f7m said:
Thanks guys.

riff raff":a6251f7m said:

I make pipes in my spare time. I started in 2009, took off from pipe making for six month in the spring of 2010 to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. That gave me alot of time to think about pipes. Since then I spend all my free time making pipes and learning about them, that is when the woods aren't calling me. I don't have a website at the moment, I'm hoping to maybe have one up sometime this winter, I post most of my pipes for sale on this forum. Selling a pipe here and there helps pay for the hobby..... I live in Hampshire County, it's in the eastern panhandle.

Abe

straight billiards have been my favorite shapes from the get go and that is just amazing looking forward to see you go big. In all reality that is better than any dunhill i've seen.

Well I am the lucky one who commissioned the beautiful pipe. And I can tell you the feel in hand and its proportions are better than some of my estate Dunhill and Castillo pipes. The precise drilling of the airway allowed for me to only light the pipe once, a true craftsman. Abe was kind enough to create this pipe to my specifications including the long tapered Cumberland stem that is so comfortable. This is one Pipe maker to keep your eye on as I'm sure we will see more of his pipes surfacing on this site. Thanks again Abe!!!!

The first pipe that got me started in this crazy hobby was a Kaywoodie straight Billiard...I still have the pipe and it still holds a very special place in my heart...I will post a pic later on

tg lorenz":6bal07fq said:
Well I am the lucky one who commissioned the beautiful pipe. And I can tell you the feel in hand and its proportions are better than some of my estate Dunhill and Castillo pipes. The precise drilling of the airway allowed for me to only light the pipe once, a true craftsman. Abe was kind enough to create this pipe to my specifications including the long tapered Cumberland stem that is so comfortable. This is one Pipe maker to keep your eye on as I'm sure we will see more of his pipes surfacing on this site. Thanks again Abe!!!!
Abe sure has a good eye and talent, nice commision! Thanks for the feedback on the pipe, I'll definitely be watching Abe's creations.

Zeno Marx":vm7nliwh said:
What's an estimate price on a similar pipe to this? What would the wait time be? That's a really sharp, classic billiard. It's more difficult to recognize exceptional lines in such classic shapes. Even the good ones get lumped into a general sense of quality, but then you see something like your pipe here and are moved to acknowledge that even the common can be extraordinary. I mean...of course, we know this, but I find it easy to take for granted. I need that occasional jostling to keep perspective.

Thanks for the kind words. The price for a pipe similar to that one, is around $150. The wait time can vary, given how much spare time I have for pipe making. I would say a couple weeks give or take.

Abe

tg lorenz":upmqwdw1 said:

Thanks Tom, I'm glad that you are pleased with the pipe. I tend to make smaller pipes, so making this pipe was a nice challenge for me.

Abe