blending blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
Does anyone here mix different types of tobacco blends together, or would that be considered really bad form? Obviously I'm a newb, but I was thinking of trying to mix some aromatic tobacco with a VA/Per to see if I could enjoy the smell of the aromatic as well as the taste of the vaper. I would probably end up with a good smelling, bad tasting monstrosity but I might give it a try unless you all consider doing so uninformed folly on my part.

Thanks, Kim

ragged claws":0chpkgfc said:
Does anyone here mix different types of tobacco blends together, or would that be considered really bad form? Obviously I'm a newb, but I was thinking of trying to mix some aromatic tobacco with a VA/Per to see if I could enjoy the smell of the aromatic as well as the taste of the vaper. I would probably end up with a good smelling, bad tasting monstrosity but I might give it a try unless you all consider doing so uninformed folly on my part.

Thanks, Kim
Why do you feel the need to ask? If you want to do it, DO IT ! It's your 'bac and pipe and mouth so it is up to you :twisted: You won't know anything 'less you do it :twisted: It's not what I would call "blending" merely mixing some existing blends till you get what you like :p Go for it and report back :p

Guess I was wondering if this was common practice here and was looking for some "mixing" recipes.

Kim

I blend quite a bit, perhaps one quarter of what I smoke is a blend of two or more tobaccos. Occasionally blended up and jarred for months, but mostly mixed (lovingly, of course) as I fill the bowl. Guess I like constant variety.

Natch

I normally don't mix for two reasons:

* My results have been sub-par

* There's so many mixtures out there, why risk perfectly good tobacco?

Then again, sometimes tobacco isn't perfectly good. Or it's plentiful enough in the supply stash to do small-scale experiments.

Indeed, do what you like. Just do so a little at a time. I have a couple of air/water tight denture cups from a hospital that I stole that work great for small batches.

8)

I tried blending with Pease/Tarler Redwood, burley and latakia. A complete disaster! I took notes, mix A with thus and such percentages of the above: not good. Mixture B with another twist to produce Mixture C: no good. Before long I had 6 Mixtures, and none of them were good. In fact, by the time I got to Mixture F, I wasn't sure if it was F or D!

As you might guess I haven't tried it again;). Most blending sticks to VA, burley, latakia, Perique, Turkish and various Orientals, which are used as condiments. But if you want to try some blends with a departure from that, try John Patton blends, available from 4noggins, specifically Oriental Dusk. They are blended by one of our members, tiltjlp. Very different, and very skillfully blended, I would say.

ragged claws":6g3ur23c said:
was thinking of trying to mix some aromatic tobacco with a VA/Per to see if I could enjoy the smell of the aromatic as well as the taste of the vaper.
This is more difficult than one might think. I used to try adding aromatic tobaccos to natural tobaccos to get a better room note, but most results were terrible, so I gave up experimenting. That said, if I were to do this again, I would start adding a very small amount of quality black cavendish whose aroma I like (C&D) to the natural blend and increase from there as needed. AJ's VaPer from pipesandcigars.com is a basically a vaper which already has some black cavendish, so you might start there.