Blending Recipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to Brothers of Briar and this is my first post. I am wondering if anyone ever experiments with tobacco blending? If so, does anyone have a good recipe? I tend to purchase tins or bulk mixtures, but I'm wondering if others ever blend their own. Just curious.
Thanks,
Milan

I like to mix up an English every now and then - A base of McClelland 5100 Red Cake or Old Gowrie, a healthy portion of Latakia (all varieties experimented with), a touch of perique (also like to experiment with varieties here) - sometimes with turkish and orientals, sometimes without

Lately I have been tossing in some Dark Birdseye from G&H - really beefs up an english

Thanks Natch. I knew someone could tell me where to look. I also liked ganddalfpc's post. I appreciate both responses.
Milan

Not to bump an old thread, but saw a post on TobaccoReviews.com a while back about mixing Lane's BCA & 1-Q.

It's a simple 50/50 mix - so I threw some together, stored it in a mason jar, and let it sit for about a month.
All I can say is 'Wow'. For such a simple blend of bulks, it's quite enjoyable.
I'm sure other equivalents would work as well, but this stuff I already had on hand.

Great Vanilla flavor - with hints from each of the bulks showing up, and a GREAT room note.

From now on, i'll keep this in my regular rotation. Now if I could just come up with a name for it...

I've never smoked Lane tobaccos. I felt that smack on the back of my head. I'm going to go for it if you say so. Seems to be the agreed upon magic mix. 1:1 Correct? Thanks for the suggestion.
Milan

Milan":88x2z9i8 said:
I'm going to go for it if you say so. Seems to be the agreed upon magic mix. 1:1 Correct?
If you like a semi-mild aromatic with a great room note, then Yes - go for it...
I've never tried altering the ratio, but i'm in the process of trying some experimenting with this. But yes, that is the preferred ratio (and the ratio I use).

I hear Lane 1Q is real close to Butternut Burley and the BCA livens it up. I'm going to try that one, for sure.

I tried the BCAQ mix today and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't realize that I had been smoking the 1-Q on and off for some time now because my local tobacconist gave it a nickname. I thought it was a shop blend. The BCA really did elevate the 1-Q and the aroma is nice. I may add a couple pinches of Latakia and a smidge of Perique just to see where it takes the mixture? Thanks again.
Milan :D

Has anyone tried a 1:1 mix of Carter Hall and Captain Black White? To me it tastes like a sweet black walnut. I seldom smoke an aro but this is one of three that I do smoke.

So I found on one forum where someone mixed University Flake with Red Virginia. I have had a tin of University Flake for forever and it never really did anything for me. So let's give this a go . . .

40% University Flake
60% Sutliff 515 RC-1

Rubbed one flake an added the Virginia and mixed it up. The Virginia defiantly sweetens up the University Flake and the flake is adding a nice bold punch of flavor without being over powering. What do you think? Call it University of Virginia?

A couple of years ago I had half a tin of Hal O' Wynd and thought it was a bit mild. I did a 50/50 with some pungent dark perique a tobacconist gave me and let it sit for 2 years. Man that was some serious good stuff! Went through that tin real fast.

it depends what you are looking for. you can get a low cost good blend in the american english category by mixing one pouch of 5 brothers and 1 pouch of super value english.
this is afterblending. the problem with afterblending is that you may find different top notes from different manufacturers and they may not mix well. i suggest you to try the afterblending from mixtures of the same source(stg , c&d , etc.).   now , if you want to mix from scratch then i suggest you profesional assistance.
good luck.

I might have a couple of recipes floating around at home... I'll have to look when I get back....

Here's a favorite home blend of mine I developed back in 2006 that I call Two Sheds. All components are listed in percentages

Two Sheds
42% C&D Latakia
12% C&D Red VA Ribbon
8% C&D Red VA Cavendish
14% Sutliff 507-S Stoved VA - used to use McClelland 5105 Stoved VA. Never was happy about it being hard pellets. Sutliff is much better stuff. Much more pliable. Still experimenting with it as to it's final usability.
24% C&D Izmir Turkish

Well found out that the code Sunout25 on P&C is good for everything and not just cigars! Picked a few tobaccos I haven't tried and added Sutliff 507-S Stoved Virginia and Maryland TS9 for blending experiments. I am making a poor man's tobacco press. Anyone have some successful press blends they like to share?

Thinking of doing Sutliff 515-RC1 and Burley for one experiment. Maybe 2/3 virginia 1/3 burley for one try and perique the 2nd try.

Another one I want to try is some combo of Virginia, Burley, Maryland and dark fired Kentucky.