Blends for Wide Chambers (like 320).

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Tkach

Reaction score
I just got a deal on a Savinelli 320. The tobacco chamber is MASSIVE. I don't want to dedicate it to Brown Rope lest I die of nicotine overdose. What sort of blends do you guys smoke in really wide chambers? Which sorts of blends do you stay away from?

Most of my Pots have really wide bowls and to my palate fully rubbed out Red Va's just SING in these pipes !! I find also that wider bowls really help a blend/mixture "expand" taste wise which goes also for English/Balkans. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for the thoughts. I've actually thought about lighter aromatic-English blends. I'm thinking of things like Bald Headed Teacher, FM OTT, etc. Hmm...

I've got a big jar of Kentucky Club Mild, some Down By the River, and most recently some C&D Bing n Burley, which I think might be too strong in such a huge bowl. I need to crack tins of OJK, Burley Flakes 3 and 4, and Solani ABF at some point. hmmm... Burley could be another option.

I have a couple of pipes with .75 inch bowls.  I have found that a lightly packed, cube cut plug really sings, as do aromatic mixtures.  I tend to pack em lighter than usual as they can pack down super quickly.  The aromatics really sing in a wider bowl for me, as they have more room for the flavors to blend before tasting.  I say start with a lighter flake like LBF or Newminster SRS fully rubbed out, and go from there.

My Savinelli 315EX Hercules loves Margate.

As mentioned, a ribbon VA works nicely in a larger squat bowl.

However don't limit yourself, and do try a combination of tobaccos. You may end up finding a perfect pairing that goes against conventional wisdom.

d4klutz":q9qf7v5v said:
I have a couple of pipes with .75 inch bowls.  I have found that a lightly packed, cube cut plug really sings, as do aromatic mixtures.  I tend to pack em lighter than usual as they can pack down super quickly.  The aromatics really sing in a wider bowl for me, as they have more room for the flavors to blend before tasting.  I say start with a lighter flake like LBF or Newminster SRS fully rubbed out, and go from there.
The 320 have about .93" bowl. I love those sort of tobaccos in 3/4 or 7/8, but I'm not sure a flake is what I want in 12/13".

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I'm smoking my 320ks right now, filled to the brim with Irish Oak/perique.

This is a wonderful pipe which smokes cool and dry and takes ANY tobacco in it's stride. You will see, it will be happy with whatever you load in it.

Mine is a Punto Oro mister G and I love it.

I did my first half-bowl with Heady Doctrine, the club blend of Apostles Creed Pipe Club (which may be soon available through the Country Squire). It's a stout blend of VA, KY, Black Cav, with a little Perique and Latakia. It was really good, the best smoke I've had from that blend. It is a bit strong, and I don't think I could do a whole bowl's worth.

The one pipe I have with a fairly wide bowl (an old Jobey Ivory Prince) works best with blends that have some to a lot of Latakia, but that's too small a sample to say that the width is the dertermining factor

I have 2 Trevi 320's. In one I smoke McCl 5100 and FMC 2000. In the other I smoke Comoy's Cask#11. Two different cuts and two different types of tobacco and the 320 handles them both very well. It's what one would expect from a Savinelli. :)

AJ

Simple Man":5w9iwyyq said:
Burleys... Uhle Crushed White Burley, Haunted Bookshop, Storm Front... to name a few of my favorite things. :lol:
Couldn't agree more! But I smoke those in my small narrow bowls too :D