Board Tone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
The quality of friendliness and the feeling of a shared experience of fine tobaccos and quality pipes is what has always kept me coming back to this board. This was nowhere as apparent when I spent almost all of my forum time on a cigar board during my year's hiatus in cigar-land. Don't get me wrong, the other forum has many fine qualities, and it may be that I was at fault for not finding that spirit of conviviality there, but I did try and came away with less shared experience than I sought.

Also, I was attacked by several members on the cigar board when I broke an unwritten rule.

Finally, the quality of the writing and the extent to which pipers analyze their experience is also more to my liking.

So, thank you!

I think most of us feel the same, and thats what makes this board what it is. Ive checked out others but this is the one that seems comfortable.

Indeed.

Some of the other boards I checked out were just plain boring. disturbing or scary.

What attracted me to this board was the content and atmosphere created by the members toward a shared and beloved pastime.

Lestrade":njth0xtw said:
Indeed.

Some of the other boards I checked out were just plain boring. disturbing or scary.

What attracted me to this board was the content and atmosphere created by the members toward a shared and beloved pastime.
Well said and agree 100%

I'd thank you for the "virtual compliment," but that would get skewed in translation... :lol: :lol:

You named the reasons why I come to this forum and not other forums, no matter WHAT the subject matter. Forum inside jokes, cronyism, "post count holiness," ego and lack of grammar/communication skills is a quick way to get bored via irritation.

Posts like this are a compliment to us all--not surprising though, pipe guys are the best. 8)

Maybe it's a cigar thing.
MisterE said it more eloquently, but cigar "bros" seem to be able to sense when you aren't one of "them", (a douchebag).
I certainly don't mean to offend anyone here, but it's just the general feeling I've gotten whenever I've found myself in a certain, local upscale cigar lounge.

Pipe smokers just seem more relaxed and comfortable about themselves, without the need to constantly assert their alpha male-ness.

And not to say that we can't kick ass when circumstances call for action!

Harlock999":ag8ymxs7 said:
Maybe it's a cigar thing.
MisterE said it more eloquently, but cigar "bros" seem to be able to sense when you aren't one of "them", (a douchebag).
I certainly don't mean to offend anyone here, but it's just the general feeling I've gotten whenever I've found myself in a certain, local upscale cigar lounge.

Pipe smokers just seem more relaxed and comfortable about themselves, without the need to constantly assert their alpha male-ness.

And not to say that we can't kick ass when circumstances call for action!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Not all cigar guys are d'bags, but quite often they can be. I did have one guy, upon leaving Tinder Box recently, say, "Hey, there's a cigar get-together in the store later--where are you going?"

I shrug with a relaxed smile and show him my pipe.

"Oh..." he laughs, "I saw your hat and pegged you for a pipe guy. You have style."

I tipped my cap and laughed and humbly said, "Have a good time tonight!" ...as any classy guy would.

...on the flip side, I tried to engage a cigar smoker with tobacco small-talk while at my coffee shop (I'm an apprentice roaster, incidentally, my customers are important)... he confidently said, "It's not the type of tobacco, son, it's who rolls it, and I can tell you one thing, whatever you smoke in that pipe is probably the leftovers from what I have right here."

Thanks "Dad." Clueless asshat. (No I didn't say that, but suddenly I found something else to do, and escaped.)

I would like to fully concur with the OP's description of this forum.

As a new piper I have found this forum to be a great source of information, advice and assistance. I have yet to encounter a 'pipe snob' here, and the experienced Brothers are always very helpful to a new member of the community.

I would have given up on pipes if it were not for the help from the members of this forum.

Kyle Weiss":yvw3qsrf said:
Not all cigar guys are d'bags, but quite often they can be. I did have one guy, upon leaving Tinder Box recently, say, "Hey, there's a cigar get-together in the store later--where are you going?"

I shrug with a relaxed smile and show him my pipe.

"Oh..." he laughs, "I saw your hat and pegged you for a pipe guy. You have style."

I tipped my cap and laughed and humbly said, "Have a good time tonight!" ...as any classy guy would.
Cool.
He sounds like a pipe guy who hasn't figured it out yet!
:cheers:

This board has some fine contributors and a casual feel that I enjoy. A few others can be a little intense, sometimes you just want to lighten it up a bit, right?

Alfredo,

You are most certainly welcome; and thank you for complimenting each and everyone of us.

I think it simply reinforces the thought that we smoke our pipes because we enjoy them and they are an extension of the more amiable portions of our personalities. Just yesterday, I was walking and caught the scent of Captain Black on the wind. I tracked it down to a very elderly gentleman who obviously was very content, and we had a good conversation over pipes and everything else going on around us. The pipe just has a way of helping people connect.

Lesath":x8viyzam said:
Just yesterday, I was walking and caught the scent of Captain Black on the wind. I tracked it down to a very elderly gentleman who obviously was very content, and we had a good conversation over pipes and everything else going on around us. The pipe just has a way of helping people connect.
This!

At first the pipe brings us together. It's a relatively niche hobby that you only understand if you've got the "bug". Most of my co-workers (even Mrs. E) don't share the same enthusiasm for a new pipe as we do....

The coolest thing I have discovered in forums like this one is how much I have in common with people beyond just the hobby. Astonishlingly generous, educated, interesting, and helpful people who enjoy sharing for the sake of it. Not just about pipes, but everything else too. I would say that pipe people are a unique breed. It seems to bring the best out in people in the majority of cases. I like that. That's why I stick around.

Pipe people are indeed, "a unique breed." Most pipe smokers I have encountered are relaxed, generous, friendly. My favorite B & M is also a cigar smoker's paradise and I find many, though not the majority, of the cigar guys are a bit overbearing. The majority of the cigar guys are friendly and if not enthusiastic about, are at least tolerant of, the pipe smoker in their midst.

I concur with all the thoughts already expressed. To me, the name of this board says it all. "Brothers of Briar" suggests a welcoming atmosphere that leads to a relaxed mood...perfect for pipe smokers!

As for cigars, the only time I smoke a cigar anymore is when I play golf, which certianly isn't as often as I'd like! Most cigar smokers I've met around here are generally pretty good guys. I really miss the old Knoxville Cigar Company, which had a smoking lounge in front of the store. You could always find cigar smokers there, sometimes joined by a pipe smoker. But the atmosphere was very laid back.

It's kinda ironic, I guess, that the old KnoxCigar board that some of us refer to occasionally and dearly miss, was mainly a pipe board (from what I remember). It also had the air of conviviality that this board has.

Mike

Most of the original Knox Cigar Board members were ex-pat Stokers Haven members.
Run off by DaWorms antics and trouble making.

I try not to be biased but I am, the old Knox Guys were and always will be tops in my books. I like the rest of ya but that's just how it is. Lol.
Here's the kicker though, my memory ain't that great, so just say your an old knoxer an ill probably pretend to remember you. Lol

Yeah, the "woim" was a real piece of "woik."

I just remember that it wasn't too long after the Knox board shut down, that the actual physical store itself shut down. Ironically, they had just added a bar. Too little too late, I guess.

Mike

One thing I've noticed about many places is they have a lifespan. They start out small and obscure, turn more popular, get refined, have a great extended "family" of like-minded individuals, eventually start growing more, attracting a few turds, then get a LOT more turds, then hit critical mass wherein chaos sets in, then it dies. Bars, forums, collectives, groups, cliques, teams, workplaces, clubs...

...there's just certain people that live for groups, status and power, and it's usually them who make it suck. They take over. They have this ego/pomp thing going on that is unquenchable. When they get together, they either fight or clan up and ruin the place, scattering the relaxed. Unfortunately, many of them become moderators or managers, and that's when you know the end is nigh. Can't change the pink primates. :)

I really like it here, but hopefully there's "much cooler forums" around that all the jerks can go to fuss about over there and leave this one alone. 8)

This is a great board! That's why I keep coming back as well.

In person, i've met a few pipe smokers that had their heads a little too high in the clouds as well.

Gast! You smoke an occasional MM Cob? Is that an OTC Blend? Oh, the horror!

But in general, the pipe smoking crowd is very friendly and always seems to enjoy a good smoke and good conversation.

Likewise, i've met quite a few cigar smokers that were very decent people as well. But then you've always got a few that stand out...

For my part, I'm grateful to be a part of a board that doesn't seem to have snobbish cliques and where every poster no matter what their experience is welcomed and newbie questions are addressed in a helpful and respectful manner.

Glad to be here.

Cheers,

RR