Bog Oak - Morta

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amenhotep04

Reaction score
Hey guys, as I'm hanging around recuperating from this surgery, I've been thinking more and more about the 'next' pipe. I had hoped on going to Chicago this weekend, but unfortunately, I cannot make the trip. Though I've been leaning toward some nice grained pipes, I've also been looking at some of these morta pipes. What are your thoughts on them regarding the smoke? I've found several that are in my range regarding shape and weight.

Let me know.

:farao:

I've only seen a few in person but I've seen dozens online. Their claim to fame is that they're incredibly light weight and they're supposed to smoke very dry. The graining on the wood isn't as complex as briar so inevitably they don't blast nearly as well as briar. Still, I'd like to give one a chance sometime. James Island Piper had a few listed. Not sure if they're still there or not?...

Bought a Becker Morta acorn last summer, it’s a large pipe and quite light for the size. Smokes great, but it taste different, and I’m still on the fence as to whether or not I like it.

My suggestion, try one for yourself.

I've held a few in my hands as my tobacconist is great friends with Trevor Talbert, who although relocating to France for the express purpose of working closely with Morta, may already be back in the States.

Anyway, the fossilized wood looks a great deal different than briar, my tobacconist noted no change in taste, or a least he didn't mention any. I would bet that he would have. Also, he said it was difficult to get a bowl size any bigger than a 3.

If I could get a four I'd probably have bought an estate.

This Becker Morta is 6” long the bowl is 2 1/8” wide x 2 3/8” tall, no idea where that falls on the Dunhill scale. From personal experience, tobacco does taste different in bog oak than it does in briar or meerschaum, and the wood taste different those first bowls than briar does as well.

BeckerMorta.jpg

BecherMorta.jpg

Dmntd, That looks like a very interesting pipe. I'd like to buy a bog oak, but their prices are pretty high. Anyone know of a "low-end" maker?

It's not that I'm cheap, you understand, it's just that I'm damn cheap!

Natch

Natch":by194g8u said:
Dmntd, That looks like a very interesting pipe. I'd like to buy a bog oak, but their prices are pretty high. Anyone know of a "low-end" maker?

It's not that I'm cheap, you understand, it's just that I'm damn cheap!

Natch
Try Davorin Morta: http://davorinmortapipes.wordpress.com/

Low end prices, great morta pipe for the price.

Very interesting with Latakia in my mind.

Many carvers make morta now (Hennen, Becker, Biagini...) but, to a first purchase, Askwith or Davorin's morta are good choice I think.

Best,
Gilles

Thought about one until I read a couple carvers state the stuff stinks something terrible when they cut it. I know it doesn't come thru in the smoke, but I would still know it is in there.

Those all look very interesting. I've never heard of morta before but now I'd like to own one. The carvings at the site mentioned are beautiful. When I went to the gallery page all the pipes were sold except the last one. That guy needs to get busy!