Boswell or Kaywoodie POY?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute

Reaction score
I'm looking for my next American-made pipe and was debating between getting a Boswell or one of the Kaywoodie Pipes of the Year. looking for something in the way of a Bulldog or Rhodesian. Any opinions on these two brands - finish, smokability, etc.? Thanks.

I can't speak on Kaywoodie, but I own 3 Boswells and all three smoke great. I just went to J.M.'s tobacco shop/smoking lounge/coffe house/ pipe gallery this past Saturday and picked up my 3rd, a bent sitter with an amazing grain and J.M.'s trademark semi-rustication. It was one of the few sitters I actually liked the look of.

I love those guys. I hadn't seen J.M. in a year and don't ya know he actually remembered my name? I can't damn well remember my own name some days...

For an american rhodesian, I'd have to recommend Rad Davis. His rhodesians are so iconic and so unique, that they are commonly referred to as "radesians".

Maiser":xiy5ymnj said:
For an american rhodesian, I'd have to recommend Rad Davis. His rhodesians are so iconic and so unique, that they are commonly referred to as "radesians".
Unfortunately that's not in the cards - too much scratch.

Can only speak for my own personal tastes, but between Boswell and one of the Kaywoodie POY's and assuming I had to purchase without actually being able to handle the pipe, I'd go with the KW for purely aesthetic reasons especially for a bulldog or rhodesian shape. I had a boswell a while ago and it provided a most excellent smoke, however shape and finish wise boswells just don't do it for me much and I am especially not fond of the BW bulldogish shapes. THere are of course exceptions but that is just my general feeling about boswells and as I said, the one I had was a grand smoker while I had it.

Kaywoodie however has a fantastic bulldog shape in the POY lineup that I have considered purchasing a time or two. A couple can be found here:

http://pipesandcigars.com/kapiofye.html

but an even nicer selection of the KW doggies and some fine rhodesians can be found here:

http://www.grayfoxonline.com/kayPOY.html

Storm_Crow":zpeo4rkt said:
...and picked up my 3rd, a bent sitter with an amazing grain and J.M.'s trademark semi-rustication. It was one of the few sitters I actually liked the look of...
Gotta post pics over in the Let's Talk Boswell thread, please.

Frost":zpeo4rkt said:
I am especially not fond of the BW bulldogish shapes. THere are of course exceptions but that is just my general feeling ...

Yeah, I'm with you. It's funny how many of his shapes I do like, and their permeations, but the BD's and Rhoddies that I like are very few and far between. Dunno...guess I always see those shapes as pure clenchers, and when I see one that weights 80+ grams it just doesn't fit. I guess that'd be Ok in a straight shank...but I don't own any straights, and other than a poker or perhaps a special canadian, I doubt I'll ever get one. His geometry, too, as you say, is an issue with me..most are pretty funky looking, but not in a good way for me. But they do sell like hotcakes!!

Are the KW's handmades?

I visited Park Lane Tobacconist in NY last night. They had a shelf of Kaywoodie hand-made pipes, wow, I have to say they were beautiful. Most were over $200. You don't really need to spend more than $100 for a Boswell (I have two myself). But, those Kaywoodies (in a natural stain) sure looked elegant.

This is $95 at Cup-o-Joes, also in NY
stb06.jpg

This is one they had in the case last night, very handsome, but $160:
kaywoodie24.jpg

I had not considered a Kaywoodie until seeing that Rhodesian last night. It is a fairly large pipe, maybe a bit much for a clencher.
http://cigarsandpipes.com/pipes/kaywoodie-sandblast-rhodesian.html

Yes they are all rather large. If I recal correctly the "theme" of the POYs was that they were all updated and enlarged versions of older shapes. The size and weight of them is the main reason I don't have one right now.

Another option for an American maker that does fine versions of bulldogs & rhodesians is Mark TInsky. I don't know what kinda price range your looking at, but check out the 1/4 bent bulldog here (2nd pipe up from the bottom). $150 in the dark coral finish:

http://ssl.cybersun.com/4Dscripts/webcatalog4disapi.dll/4dcgi/Products?AMS~101612410~1~103002

Also the Rhodesian and Squat bulldog here:

http://ssl.cybersun.com/4Dscripts/webcatalog4disapi.dll/4dcgi/Products?AMS~101612410~3~103002

Or perhaps the 2008 Christmas pipe here: http://ssl.cybersun.com/4Dscripts/webcatalog4disapi.dll/4dcgi/Products?AMS~101612410~1~103003

I've got a Tinsky author type shape, similar to the current christmas pipe here: http://ssl.cybersun.com/4Dscripts/webcatalog4disapi.dll/4dcgi/Products?AMS~101612410~1~103019

It's grand overall and a fine smoker. Relatively generous of proportion but not realy huge in size overall. Well balanced and a decent clencher for a 1/4 bent or so. Wouldn't hesitate to suggest it based on my experience, and Tinsky has a mighty fine reputation 'round these parts as well.

My wife has a Tinsky bent apple secreted away for me until Christmas. I saw it briefly and the size/shape is quite nice.

Hmmmmmmm. You've intrigued me with the Tinksy suggestion. His designs seem spot-on. But I want to still keep this dialogue open, with the Tinsky pipes included.

wintermute":2happf02 said:
Hmmmmmmm. You've intrigued me with the Tinksy suggestion. His designs seem spot-on. But I want to still keep this dialogue open, with the Tinsky pipes included.
The Tinsky pipes are nice, but very expensive. If you personally like the design of the Tinsky pipes better then go for them, but if you like the look of a Boswell just as well, the Boswell will smoke at least as well, and for much less money. All my Boswell pipes have been under $100. J.M. does make pipes in the $200-$500 range like Tinsky, but these are usually his magnum or grizzly pipes, in which case you're paying more for the size and therefore the worksmanship time that had to go into its production. No matter the pipe size nor pricetag however, Boswells look and smoke great.

To give you a sense for Boswells Magnum and Grizzly pipes, here's three of them. The first is J.M. holding a fully rusticated grizzly for scale, the others are other grizzly/Magnum Boswell designs that caught my eye.

J.M.%20holding%20a%20special%20order%20for%20Magnum%20Smoker.jpg

Grizzly%20(53).jpg

Grizzly%20(35).jpg

Somehow I don't think that Grizzly will make a nice clencher! :shock:

I love the "No Sniveling" sign. :D

Riff,
Thanks for posting the photos. I haven't been to JM's in a long long time, I miss his shop and the man is great.
Gents,
As for rhodesians, I own 2 of the Kaywoodie POY rhodesian pipes. Yes, it is one of my favorite POY pipes that Kaywoodie has made, and I'm surprised you found one of those. Because they only make a limited run of them and when they're gone they're gone. The sandblasted finish on those pipes is spectacular, and I must add that they smoke like a dream. Whatever your choice, you can't go wrong with either maker. Good luck in your search

riff raff":j9n3izl4 said:
My wife has a Tinsky bent apple secreted away for me until Christmas. I saw it briefly and the size/shape is quite nice.
Very nice wife indeed.

Storm_Crow":tquq2897 said:
Josjor":tquq2897 said:
Somehow I don't think that Grizzly will make a nice clencher! :shock:
Quite the opposite! :D

DSCF0559.jpg
That must be this guy from the James Bond movies:
richardkiel.jpg

Back on topic: There were some pretty nice looking ones offered on Boswells site today. If I hadn't already spent my monthly PAD allowance I think that there were a couple I would have bitten on.

Both of those shapes you are looking at are classical English. Stylistically you are going to get closer to traditional form with a Kay where Boswell is quintessential American - a smokers pipe if you will. You can't go wrong with either, just depends on your taste. Do you want a more refined English shaped pipe or a 'rugged' smoker? Also generally speaking Boswell tend to be on the larger side, group 6/7. At least that has been my experience...

Josjor":8l462tj7 said:
That must be this guy from the James Bond movies:
richardkiel.jpg
His name is Jaws...He kills people.

Josjor":8l462tj7 said:
Back on topic: There were some pretty nice looking ones offered on Boswells site today. If I hadn't already spent my monthly PAD allowance I think that there were a couple I would have bitten on.
Yeah, I saw that bulldog and I wanted it badly. I had been checking the site every five minutes for the new pipes to pop up. One check nothing, next check it had been sold. That thing would have been perfect.