Boswell pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josjor

Reaction score
So........I hadn't ever heard of these pipes or tobaccos until the other day on this forum. I went to their site a week or so ago and the only pipes they had for sale were two models. They also had a note there saying that they were adding pipes on the 29th.

So I check every hour on the hour. Finally, the new pipes appear. Hmmmmmm. There's a couple here that interest me. But it's time to go to work. I'll check back when I get home at lunchtime and call them up to order.

Noon comes around and all but 5 out of the 16 are sold already.

Something tells me that Boswell has a following that, like me, was waiting for those pipes to be listed!

The thing about Boswell pipes is that if you want one that is posted on their site, they post the pics of em once a week, and they're gone within minutes.

Once per year, which is coincidentally this Saturday, I take a trip to Boswell's and I just may buy a pipe while there. :D

It's unusual to see this many pipes not sold. They ALL usually gone by noon or so. Trickle supply, and demand will grow.

If you see a shape on their quickly sold, weekly update, just call and see if there is a similar pipe on the rack. Usually, there is at least one or something close. You don't have spend a fortune either, there are plenty on the wall the $80-$90 price range and that is very nice for a small investment. They do take a while to break in, but once broken smoke quite well.

I pretty much only smoke their Magnum or Premium Burley blends any more. The Magnum smokes so well, I just keep going back. In fact, I'm smoking it right now in my little Grabow.

Storm_Crow":cda5npt3 said:
The thing about Boswell pipes is that if you want one that is posted on their site, they post the pics of em once a week, and they're gone within minutes.

Once per year, which is coincidentally this Saturday, I take a trip to Boswell's and I just may buy a pipe while there. :D
Cool! Pick me out something nice, will you?

:D

Josjor":gjspfd4r said:
Storm_Crow":gjspfd4r said:

Cool! Pick me out something nice, will you?

:D
Hehe...I'd be happy to take orders from folks! I don't expect it makes much sense though. As another poster mentioned, if someone wanted to buy a pipe sight unseen they could call JM directly. On the surface this seems like a good idea because 90% of Boswell's pipes appear to end up as one of several trademark shapes. I can usually tell that a pipe someone is smoking is a Boswell on sight. The thing of it is that pipe selection is so personal, and even when overall shapes are similar, it's the suble nuances that turn folks onto or off of a pipe I think.

I'd like to see JM diversify his shapes a bit. I love his pipes, and would like to buy more, but there are only so many choices. Still, without the ones I already own...well Watson...I'd be lost without my Boswell.

There was a pipe on their site last week that stayed unsold all week long. Now it's listed as sold...the light tan one with the reverse plateaux. Anyway, I've got 4 Boswell's and two of them are among the best pipes (in terms of smoking qualities) that I own. There are few of them that I've seen that I don't like.

One of mine (a '97 production model) I got with a broken stem (in a trade, and I knew it was broken) and I'm fixing that on my own. Easy to do really. I'm also re-doing the rustication pattern which made no sense whatsoever and was rather poorly executed. Now THAT's a bit more challenging. We'll see how it turns out. It's a GIGANTIC Bulldog and it should turn out to be fairly interesting.

I agree, sometimes his rustification is just plain odd and not pleasing to my eye. I guess he does it to cover defects in the wood.
I do like his large-ish bulldogs. He does a nice job on that shape bowl tops. Make sure you post pix of your transformation.
Blackhorse":9nhcynal said:
There was a pipe on their site last week that stayed unsold all week long. Now it's listed as sold...the light tan one with the reverse plateaux. Anyway, I've got 4 Boswell's and two of them are among the best pipes (in terms of smoking qualities) that I own. There are few of them that I've seen that I don't like.

One of mine (a '97 production model) I got with a broken stem (in a trade, and I knew it was broken) and I'm fixing that on my own. Easy to do really. I'm also re-doing the rustication pattern which made no sense whatsoever and was rather poorly executed. Now THAT's a bit more challenging. We'll see how it turns out. It's a GIGANTIC Bulldog and it should turn out to be fairly interesting.

I'd love to see your revisionism as well, and some of his pipes certainly beg for it.

Yeah, I took some 'before' shots I can post...so I'll post up the 'after' as well, when it's done. Still working on my second Tinsky kit and then there's another totally wayout uberugly pipe that I'm transforming into something very, very different...even for me. And then I just was gifted an AMAZING billet of Damascus steel that I'm going to turn into a knife...so I need to make a forging kiln. But whenever I get to it...hmmmm, maybe I'll finish the uberugly makeover and post up the two makeover pipes at the same time. That makes sense. A first for me! lol

Blackhorse":6taa9gu2 said:
There was a pipe on their site last week that stayed unsold all week long. Now it's listed as sold...the light tan one with the reverse plateaux.
Funny you mention that one. I had been eyeballing it all last week. When the new pipes came up Thursday morning I decided that it was between that one and another one and that I would think on it until lunch time. Well, you know the rest of the story............................

From this weeks offerings,

To my tastes, this works:
Rustic_Pot__2.jpg

This doesn't:
Freehand_Poker_1_007.jpg

Blackhorse":jtldzigq said:
There was a pipe on their site last week that stayed unsold all week long. Now it's listed as sold...the light tan one with the reverse plateaux.

That one caught my eye for reasons unknown. I'm not a real fan of light stains, and sometimes the reverses aren't pleasing. But I love the volcano-like shape of that pipe. If it had been cheaper, I may have given in...

It's a shame, but I only like about 1% of his bulldogs/rhodesians. I like tapered stems better than saddle for those styles, so that's one thing. And his are usually huge and heavy. After looking over at the bulldog pic post, I'm starting to get PAD...

I ended up with a Boswell..................sort of. :D

His daughter is selling some on fleabay for a customer of theirs. Evidently J.M. refurbished these before they got listed. I just won it last night and will spend a bit of time today looking through his blends to maybe have them add it to the package. Any suggestions are willingly taken.

Here's the pipe:

$(KGrHqQOKi!E5L6M2reTBOfohKmElw~~60_3.JPG

Yep, R. Boswell is Rachel Boswell. She's ebaying Ben Wade pipes that JM is refurbishing.

riff raff":mn968mwp said:
From this weeks offerings,

To my tastes, this works:
Rustic_Pot__2.jpg

This doesn't:
Freehand_Poker_1_007.jpg
I like the second one, but i' a sucker for the poker shape.

Mark