Bought my first tobacco seeds!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlyn3837

Reaction score
I just ordered my first tobacco seeds a couple days ago! I am expecting them to arrive any day now. I only ordered some commercial burley to start out. I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself by going crazy with a bunch of different types... yet!

The company I ordered them from had stellar reviews. The customer reviews about this exact seed are great as well.

I'm excited to be expanding my knowledge/skill and I will keep everyone posted on how it goes!

Oh, and some of you (cough OW cough) might be getting PMs soon asking for advice and assistance LOL.

Kate, good luck with your first crop. Your own grown for some reason always tastes and smokes better for some reason.....lol. Will you be sun drying your tobacco when ready?

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

HA! Woohoo!!

I've got nearly 2,000 seeds, and 6 or 7 varieties, that I'm waiting to plant this year. As soon as I'm confident the weather will stay up and warmer, I'll get them started and planted. I'm in a surprisingly good location for growing some of these beauties, considering I'm in the PNW. We'll have to compare notes once you get yours in the ground!

Lonecoyote":r1er31jr said:
Kate, good luck with your first crop. Your own grown for some reason always tastes and smokes better for some reason.....lol. Will you be sun drying your tobacco when ready?

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I hadn't thought about how I will be drying them. I have only gotten far enough to order the seeds and choose the location I will be planting them with enough space for each. LOL. I figured as I go along, I will continue researching through each phase. Do you personally have a preference on drying?

WarlockBob":z77v7835 said:
HA! Woohoo!!

I've got nearly 2,000 seeds, and 6 or 7 varieties, that I'm waiting to plant this year. As soon as I'm confident the weather will stay up and warmer, I'll get them started and planted. I'm in a surprisingly good location for growing some of these beauties, considering I'm in the PNW. We'll have to compare notes once you get yours in the ground!

2,000?!?!?! Good golly! I don't know why you are a computer wiz, you should just be a farmer LMAO!

And I'm totally down for comparing notes. I am in a really good place to grow too. Most of my vegetable/herb seedlings I have already started in a small tray in my garage. When the sprouts are a tiny bit bigger/stronger, I will start setting them out for sun a few hours each day, then transplant them to the ground. I figured I could probably do about the same with the tobacco seeds. The garage keeps them from being susceptible to any late frosts and from wind. Do you do any early planting or prepping?

Yes, get your seedlings in small trays with peat moss now. They are pretty tender plants when they are young.

I'll send you some llama poop to add to the soil when they get a bit bigger......

kaitlyn3837":h468ksoa said:
WarlockBob":h468ksoa said:
HA! Woohoo!!

2,000?!?!?! Good golly! I don't know why you are a computer wiz, you should just be a farmer LMAO!

And I'm totally down for comparing notes. I am in a really good place to grow too. Most of my vegetable/herb seedlings I have already started in a small tray in my garage. When the sprouts are a tiny bit bigger/stronger, I will start setting them out for sun a few hours each day, then transplant them to the ground. I figured I could probably do about the same with the tobacco seeds. The garage keeps them from being susceptible to any late frosts and from wind. Do you do any early planting or prepping?
I try to; I have some curious cats to contend with, so I have to be careful about prepping and starting my seedlings inside. Last time I had inside plants, my Siamese ate all of my thyme (can't make this up), and killed a really strong, healthy aloe plant. :(

My garage will be my best bet, but it's still a bit chilly in there for tobacco sprouts. Once it warms up a bit, they'll definitely start there. Egg cartons and soil!

Ozark Wizard":dp6h4yu6 said:
Yes, get your seedlings in small trays with peat moss now. They are pretty tender plants when they are young.

I'll send you some llama poop to add to the soil when they get a bit bigger......
That's some good fertilizer right there. :D

Watching this thread with interest! I'd love to grow a few plants of my own and take the leaves through the entire process. A pipe club friend of mine took in his first harvest last fall. I'm going to have to ask him how he fared over the winter at this Sunday's meeting....

There use to be lots of tobacco cultivated here in SW Ontario. You'd have to look hard to find any in the fields now.

ontariopiper":2smqt5lq said:
Watching this thread with interest! I'd love to grow a few plants of my own and take the leaves through the entire process. A pipe club friend of mine took in his first harvest last fall. I'm going to have to ask him how he fared over the winter at this Sunday's meeting....

There use to be lots of tobacco cultivated here in SW Ontario. You'd have to look hard to find any in the fields now.
Tobacco's bad,
m'Kay?

ontariopiper":8q9ade09 said:

Just be glad you're not in Australia Charles. My understanding is that it's highly illegal to grow your own there!

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":fhn5zzzm said:
ontariopiper":fhn5zzzm said:

Just be glad you're not in Australia Charles. My understanding is that it's highly illegal to grow your own there!

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR
????

Yep, very naughty to grow it over here without a license. You need secure bonded warehouses to store your harvested tobacco in etc. etc. essentially it's only profitable for the big boys to grow tobacco in Australia.

Not a situation I'm happy about but I seriously doubt it's going to change anytime soon. I did try growing a seedling a mate gave me but the soil here is very sandy so it only got to about four foot high. It then died in the last drought we had when watering gardens was banned due to water restrictions.

Cheers

Tim

Timbo":dfivo2n8 said:
Yep, very naughty to grow it over here without a license. You need secure bonded warehouses to store your harvested tobacco in etc. etc. essentially it's only profitable for the big boys to grow tobacco in Australia.

Not a situation I'm happy about but I seriously doubt it's going to change anytime soon. I did try growing a seedling a mate gave me but the soil here is very sandy so it only got to about four foot high. It then died in the last drought we had when watering gardens was banned due to water restrictions.

Cheers

Tim
Ouch, Tim! Canadian taxes are crazy but at least I'm allowed to grow up to 15kg for personal use. That is, of course, assuming She Who Must Be Obeyed grants royal assent to the project. ?

Looking like in the next two to three weeks, I'll be putting up some surface pods for these babies to start on. Sprouting time is drawing close!

img_2010.jpg

Nice group of seeds there! The CT Broadleaf will love Oregon. Plus, they are manageable at only 4 feet tall...

And yes, this would be a good time to get those babies started. I might wait on the Okra though. They like it hot....

"And so it begins........":cheers: