Bourbon, Irish Whiskey or Scotch?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DurinsRest

Reaction score
Personally I'm taking the scotch every time. Some nice Macallan 30 or Redbreast 27 has just been unmatched by anything else I have drank. I just wish the prices hadn't become so crazy.

My first choice is almost always Irish. through the 90's it was Bushmills. I have switched to Black Bush in recent years. Lately, I've been on an Elija Craig run. I can be moved by a nice Scotch about any time. I live in a very small town with a very small liquor store. Craig is the best that they have. Forget Irish or Scotch. So, I can walk up and get a Craig or go dry. I make the walk. My favorite bar/restaurant up in Lafayette has a good selection to pick from. When I go there it's usually Irish. So, I like em all.

Used to drink a lot of bourbon. Makers Mark and George Dickel 8 year old were favorites. Now it's mostly Scotch or Evan Williams honey bourbon. Not a big fan of Irish whiskey.

I have room for them all. I used to only drink scotch, but it wasn't an elitist thing. When I managed a shop, we were members of a scotch club because the owner and I enjoyed scotch and because it was good to represent the shop in the club. I was surrounded by it and didn't have a chance to try other types very often. I got into Irish a little because of gifts...because you know, to ignorant Americans, what's the difference between Scotland and Ireland? I've had satisfying $10 bourbon and bafflingly bland 30 year old single malt scotch. I don't discriminate. Cost is more of a thing these days.

I prefer the single malts but unfortunately my preferences typically exceed my financial status, ergo they're relegated to special occasions. I lean to the smoky malts as opposed to the highlands so my day-to-day whisky was Teachers, which contains more of those malts in its blend than any other I've found, but for some reason the local distributor quit carrying it :mad: so I've been forced to exist on a diet of The Famous Grouse which for me is the most drinkable of the medium-priced stuff. Oh, the horrors :eek:!

If you enjoy a wee kiss of peat in your scotch whisky, a wee touch of honey, and a wee touch of cream try Caol Ila.
That is pronounced 'Cull-Eela'.
It doesn't have the winter peat taste or smell of Laphroaig that alienates some folks.
It seems to me to have all the elements that make a great whisky.
Unknown.jpeg

Rye, single-malt Scotch, and most any Irish for me. Don't do much Bourbon; although a bit of any of the Makers' Mark blends are OK. I do enjoy several of the American single malt whiskey's: "Stranahan's" for example is excellent!! FTRPLT

If you enjoy a wee kiss of peat in your scotch whisky, a wee touch of honey, and a wee touch of cream try Caol Ila.
That is pronounced 'Cull-Eela'.
It doesn't have the winter peat taste or smell of Laphroaig that alienates some folks.
It seems to me to have all the elements that make a great whisky.View attachment 12690
Finished an old bottle of 18-year old Caol ILa earlier this year. The current price hurts my head!!!! FTRPLT

I had always been a vodka and gin man for, well, since before I was a man, lol. My mom was from Poland, grew up before and during the war, and according to her, "if you're old enough to put the money on the counter, you're old enough to drink." So Vodka was kind of in the genes, and I really liked gin, but had it less often due to the price. I long had said, "as long as the liquor is clear, I'll drink it - no amber stuff."

Then I had COVID.

Now I like whiskey, scotch, and bourbon. Gin is still okay, but vodka is kind of meh. I still have no idea what happened to me, lol. I'm drinking some Jim Beam Devil's Cut right now. It's so weird.

Good thing I have cheap tastes, though. You can go into serious debt trying some of these liquors if you're not careful. I'm fine with Old Crow, or McCormick, or whatever is less than $20 for a 1.75L

Bourbon most frequently, but a peaty scotch is my favorite. Has to be peaty, I don’t care for a sweet malty scotch. I really enjoy my Irish, with Redbreast Lustau being preference if I can find (and afford) it.

I do most of my sipping, and puffing, in the cooler months, so I’m looking forward to the weather tapering off.