Bowl Coating Public Admission

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! So much has happened since I started typing my last post. Gimme a minute and I'll respond.

Well, before you write another novel... :lol: ...if more makers would have a default "non-coating" for finished pipes, then when a purchase is considered/made, having the coating either added or left out as a "final option" for all smokers, I can't see this as harming anyone's experience one iota. This would be something standard for custom work, so why not? *shrug*

Customers, if for not being fickle, do like choice as a feature of their purchasing! :D Hell, Dave, you could be the first to make that an up-front option, like color, shape and design.

Gelatin...

Just sayin... :twisted:

Actually, I reference this more as a joke. My kids found out what Gelatin is made from the other day, and now they won't go near marshmallows. My entire family freaked out a bit. But, upon some further research, gelatin is actually fairly good for you.

Kyle Weiss":um04jbvh said:
Well, before you write another novel... :lol: ...if more makers would have a default "non-coating" for finished pipes, then when a purchase is considered/made, having the coating either added or left out as a "final option" for all smokers, I can't see this as harming anyone's experience one iota. This would be something standard for custom work, so why not? *shrug*

Customers, if for not being fickle, do like choice as a feature of their purchasing! :D Hell, Dave, you could be the first to make that an up-front option, like color, shape and design.
That's what I do. I personally like uncoated bowls because I like the taste of briar while I'm breaking in the pipe, but I've got nothing else against bowl coatings. I figure I'll leave them uncoated and if the customer wants a coating he/she can add one at no charge.

The real crux of the issue is two camps are trying to arm wrestle each other into submission. Since carvers, factories or independents alike, are the ones making these decisions, it's nice to know the buyers have options. You know, saying this...as a buyer. :lol: It's true, like Yak said, the bigger companies are probably always gonna coat if they do so already. They have the most trouble with more pipes going out and more chances of some enthusiastic newbie having a burnout. The whole it-should-be-standard-equipment mantra, though...that's what I question. I'll probably always like the taste of a virgin chamber, I'd hate for that to be more trouble for me to achieve needing to scrape and sand--that action's for estate pipes, after all, where part of the good deal of a fixer-upper is it needs fixin' up.

8)

Mike,

Thanks a lot for your input! Believe me that I take your words very seriously and will weigh them carefully.

For the sake of repetition, I'll restate the contents of the mixture I'd like to start using(and getting super specific): activated carbon, distilled water, and gelatin.

Yup, you could eat this stuff.

BriarBlues":foa8p8na said:
Instead of applying the coating to each finished pipe, I strongly suggest you show the pipes without a coating and offer the coating as an option.
I'm really glad to see that you posted support of this. It's starting to sound like that may be the way to go if Kyle and Jessie are any indicator of the community at large. I've been trying to figure out how to proceed and seeing you guys recommend this option is really helpful.

:lol: I'm not sure why I thought this wouldn't stir up debate, but I'm happy to be hearing everyone's thoughts.

Ocelot55":vrkcsmhv said:
Kyle Weiss":vrkcsmhv said:

That's what I do. I personally like uncoated bowls because I like the taste of briar while I'm breaking in the pipe, but I've got nothing else against bowl coatings. I figure I'll leave them uncoated and if the customer wants a coating he/she can add one at no charge.
Doing some research:

Jessie, how often would you say someone requests a bowl coating?

UberHuberMan":1iv98vya said:
Ocelot55":1iv98vya said:
Kyle Weiss":1iv98vya said:

Doing some research:

Jessie, how often would you say someone requests a bowl coating?
To be honest, I haven't sold enough pipes to give you any sort of accurate measure. I've only had one request for a bowl coating, but I haven't sold many pipes! :lol:

Not to come off as pointlessly argumentative, but in my limited (maybe 50 pipes in the last 10 years or so since I got back into them again) experience, bareback is the only way to fly.

I'm talking estates here -- 30 years old, at least. (= As well seasoned & broken in as they're ever gonna be).

The one I had with a bowl coating (an old Stanwell second from back when nothing with a fill ever said "Stanwell" on it), with an LL custom stem, smoked like a million dollars. But it always tasted like the equivalent of doing you-know-what while sporting one of those thingies that used to be sold "For the Prevention of Disease Only." Not bad -- just sub optimum.

I finally gave it away.

:face:

Todd Harris actually gave me my first non-coated briar in my collection during my BoB Bombing about a year ago. It opened my eyes, and now is the only pipe that I will smoke Embarcadero, which is picky leaf, to say the least. From that point forward, I have made an effort to remove bowl coatings, and it has been night-and-day difference. That said, I have gone through the paces with quite a few coated pipes, and while I managed, something changed when I got my first naked chamber. It was hard to ignore.

8)

Good Afternoon All;

Yes the "major" companies will always coat their chambers. Really? I guess Castello is not what we consider "major"? I do believe Castello stopped applying chamber coatings in the 1980's and now all new pipe come with bare chambers. Interestingly Radice pipes now are available with raw chambers as well.

Some large factory brands coat chambers for production reasons, such as Peterson. Peterson does not hand apple dye to the bowl exterior. Each bowl is dipped into dye. That being the case it only makes sense to offer a "complete" looking product, the coat the chambers.

If your goal is to offer the buyer the best smoking experience possible, first start with good, well aged wood. Absolutely the first and foremost requirement. Second, be very willing to communicate openly with your customers. My favorite pipes may not be the "best" pipes as far as flavor, but they are 100% guaranteed the ones that I have bought from carvers I like as people.

There are a few carvers that now offer a chamber coating as an option. It only makes marketing sense. Why alienate one camp over the other or limit you customer base?

Dave, I am sure you have been thinking about this allot. Find what works best for you. Look what others do and employee their good techniques and ideas and discard the crap. Use common sense.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice! :)

It's clear to me that I need to spend some more time considering this decision and you can be sure I'll weigh everything we've discussed in this thread with all seriousness.

I echo what others said. The choice for a non-coated or coated bowl is not for the pipe maker to make; it's for the customer. They are the one that will break in and smoke the pipe, not the maker. Why should a maker try to make a decision that they cannot make?

For example there is a high-end pet store within walking difference of my abode. They have great products, friendly service and a pair of white goldens that add affability. One is so steeped in sleep that it's hard to get him to raise his head out of his eternal nap. I pet him anyway.

But they always pressure me for personal information at checkout. Over the weekend they told me that I had to give them my email address as they might need to contact me about a re-call. I caved but was irked. Also they've tried to make decisions for me instead of just giving me the information that I need to make them for myself. Apparently they believe in pushy salesmanship. I've decided to stop going there. Given how close they are it will be inconvenient for me to shop elsewhere, but I will do so as I will not have them attempting to make decisions for me.

Similarly as regards coatings, it's just not the carver's decision. Period. I've already written about the Peterson I was given whose coating took me 3 hours to remove. Minus someone with Mike Glucker's experience who can tell me if I can wipe out the coating with a damp paper towel, I plan to never buy another pipe with a coated bowl. It's not worth the effort to remove the coating no matter how much I like the pipe, and I won't have others making decisions for me.

Sure it is. If he wants it to be. Maybe not one calculated to maximise sales, but his absolutely.

:face:

Harlock999":smvcn5fi said:
Anyone know what recipe Robert Cooper uses to coat his estate pipes?
I'm not sure what's in it, but you don't want to come in contact with it. It makes your hands shrink :eek:

Puff Daddy":wzxntluo said:
Harlock999":wzxntluo said:
Anyone know what recipe Robert Cooper uses to coat his estate pipes?
I'm not sure what's in it, but you don't want to come in contact with it. It makes your hands shrink :eek:
Lol!
That is funny!
So he's not just a magician practicing a "slight" of hand?

I gotta be careful, I almost posted a comment that woulda got this thread tossed into the rubber room.

Let's just say, hands like those shouldn't be used in photographs, as they make ALL pipes appear to be magnums. :suspect: