Brigham Pipes. Anybody use one ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just googled it,, and isnt that something?

That is pretty cool.

I hope you dont mind, if I start a thread on it, in case some others arent following this thread. As I think its something that the other guys and gals might want to see

A little late to the game on this one, but I'll toss another vote in the "Brigham Corner". Although many people note that the newer Italian manufactured Brig's don't smoke as well as the old Canadian made ones (discernable at a glance by the tenon material - newer pipes are delrylin, while the older are aluminum); I think that's more due to the Canadian made having several decades of love and break-in.
My current collection sports a full 23 Brigs of various ages, grades and shapes - and I say that they stand up to, or even outsmoke big-name English, Dutch, Italian, and American pipes that I've paid three times as much for.
Another bonus to the Brigham system that many seem to miss is that with a quick modification, you can fit the rock-maple filter into a 6mm filter-pipe to reduce the draw to something you couldn't park a truck in. I nip a bit off the end, then wrap a 1cm strip of foil around the back until the OD is 6mm.

Finally, keep an eye out for Brigham tobaccos. I have heard that the blends earmarked for U.S. release are very close to landing on shelves...I've not come across a miss from their blends yet (other than ridiculous Canadian taxation). Seriously, do yourself a favour and check them out - the "Mr. B's D-Series" out Dunhill's the current Dunhill offerings - and if you ever happen upon a tin of "King's Street Anniversary Blend", you'd be doing yourself a disfavour not picking it up!

Can't believe i just came upon this thread!

I might be a little biased here but if i had to choose one brand of pipes to smoke for the rest of my life it would be Brigham. I've been impressed with how great they smoke since day one. Now true i only use the filters until they are broken in but the first dozen or so smokes are nice and dry.

I personally have their pipes of they year from 2006-11 and i must say there are some real beautys if you can get your hands on them. The thicker stems suit me just fine and adds kind of a "calling-card" look and feel to them. Right now i am patiently waiting on what they might have in-store for the 2012.

For the price you can't go wrong with a shape #19 (Canadian which is just over 7 inches in length i think) great smoke.

my two cents.

Yep, its a Canadian shape 19 that I will be getting.

So?? question, what year did they quit making them in Canada?

Its not a huge deal to me , but I do want a Canadian, "made in Canada" to be my first.

I grew up 5 miles south of the border, and Ive ran around B.C. and Alberta enough to where I feel like its a second home. Thats why I have to have one made in Canada.

I found this on the Brigham website regarding the move of manufacturing to Italy:

The Brigham Filter System has always been a key feature of the traditional Brigham pipe. Another hallmark of ours, however, is providing a product for every budget. To achieve this, the Brigham System pipe was created to offer the benefits of the Brigham filter to those with less inclination to spend a lot of money on their pipes. This was a necessary step as Canadian-made pipes

While our Canadian-made pipes once spanned the entire price spectrum, the costs of producing pipes here in Canada made it impossible from the early 1980s onward to manufacture a version at the lower end. To overcome this barrier, the Brigham System pipe was introduced. Made in Italy to our specifications, the Brigham System pipe featured Prima Briar and incorporated the Brigham Filter System for cool smoking and less tongue bite. The resulting was pipe that smoked exceptionally well compared to its contemporaries.

The Brigham System pipe was identified by means of a yellow marking on the stem. Before 2001, all Brigham System pipes were marked with a star and changed afterwards to a leaf logo. The system pipe was originally offered in both rough and smooth versions.

By way of background, here is some additional information. It was more toward the late eighties and early nineties that Brigham introduced the Brigham System with the Gold Star. At this time, Brigham was looking to provide a quality pipe at an entry level price point. Due to domestic labour rates and currency exhange the only way to achieve this was import. Using their briar block contacts, Brigham found a manufacturer in Italy that was able to produce the quality demanded at the price required.

From there, Brigham began to have bowls turned in Italy while continueing to fit; sand; and finish in Canada. As Brigham's economies of scale declined and production staff retired Brigham's relationship with EU manufacturing increased. The transition to fully EU manufacturing took place sometime after 2000. Daniel More (President of Brigham) personally travels to EU every year to discuss manufacturing issues; consider and create shape design. In this respect, things are still very "hands on". One of the biggest benefits to this transition has been the breadth of finishes. Prior to this, Brigham had never made a sandblast because they didn't have the equipment.

For anyone looking for a pre-2000 Brigham you should look for the following clues:
- "Canada" Stamp
- Aluminum tenons (although Brigham did start using the nylon tenons in Canadian production)
- Pinning on 400 (4 Dot); 500 (5 Dot); 600 (6 Dot); 700 (7 Dot) Series pipes

Oh how I could go on..... Hope I didn't carry on too much. I hope this helps.

It helps alot ! And I apreciatte you all for taking the time to reply on this matter.

I am getting excited about adding your pipes to my collection.
So, the EU made pipes arent really an issue as far as I'm concerned, and I am sure I will give them a try.

But , on the Nostalgia side of things, I will sit back , and keep my eyes open for that special Canadian style #19, that was made in Canada prior to the change.

Theres just something about "homecountry" craftsmanship these days, that we , in the US and obviously, you all up in Canada, have had to hire out due to the Economy.
I value my Petes because they are made in Ireland, (Lord help me if I found out different :shock: )
I like my Savinelli from Italy, Lillehammers made in Norway are definitely going to see my cabinet, so as fond as I am of Canada, I will lean towards the "Made in Canada's"

I know that that doesnt really help you out as far as sales, because obviously I'll be looking at estates.
But , I do promise, on account of your honesty, and your time spent with me , here on this forum, that you have gained my trust , and I will be purchasing your current models.
If you didnt have faith in your product, you would ignore this thread, and let me figure it out my own.

You have impressed me very much , Mr.More
and Thank you Schmitzbitz, and Smokeytweed, for your time and efforts as well.
Excellent information !
Dusty

I think I like the finish on the Klondikes the best, and besides the 619,,, I think I really like the 02's....like the 402/502/602/ and 702...all Billiards.

and the Mountaineer 303 suits me as well.

So, it looks like I have some deciding to do. :D

I'm with you, Dusty. I prefer straight billiards, Canadians and pokers myself. Looking for an estate Brigham is the way to go in terms of looking for a Canadian. If you find one the effort will be worth it. Brigham didn't make many of these due to the block required being difficult to find. In terms of looking for new Brigham pipes pre-dating the move to the EU I suggest starting with Sievert's in Halifax. Craig has some pipes that I would love to get my hands on. I don't think he is really set up for internet business but you can give him a call at (902) 422-4544.

I'll start a new string for this questions, but why do they call it a Canadian?

I for one am very glad yours started this thread Dusty. I'm very intrigued by the Brigham filter system. I really like the Klondike and Heritage. I may be following suit Dusty.

Of course, thank you Daniel for the history lesson. Being fairly new to pipe smoking, I am trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can. I defintely can see a Brigham finding its way to Pittsburgh in the very near future!.

Its super cool to have you here Brigham! I consider myself a fan. You make good pipes at a good price. I may have to get another, your forcing my hand making me spend money on your high quality product. (ok ok I want to buy it) :D

Thanks BuckeyeBoy. I enjoy reading the feedback, positive or otherwise. Anytime anyone has a question I'll attempt to give you the straight goods. This is one of the reasons we don't hide the fact that our pipes, although made under strick supervision, are no longer made in our Toronto factory. Unlike some other brands that are less forthcoming.

However, I am proud to say that the rock maple inserts are still made in Toronto. In fact, we are investing $150,000 in new equipment for this. I share this info only to underscore our commitment to this and that they work, it isn't a gimmic. The machine is state-of-the-art and far more stream lined than the current machine which looks archaic in comparison. For company that's 106 years old we keep looking forward and not back.

I've been toying with the idea of trying a Brigham for a few years now. This conversation has increased that desire. I hope to pick one up soon!

Special thanks to Brigham for joining in on the posts. It speaks volumes about his committment to his product!

Coming from Canada, most of my older good pipes are all Brighams. A friend of mine ran a "mens" store back in the late '80's and when he closed his doors I bought all of his good Brighams, 5-7 dots and they are exceptionally good pipes. Since then I have added to the collection and today have probably 20 or so. All of them are the original aluminum tenons. Some of my early ones (40's and 50's) are as good as any high grade English pipes made, reason Brigham was called the Dunhill of Canada. Even the one dot pipes from those earlier days are really nice, great briar, exceptional grain and unique blasts. I don't have any experience with the new ones but I am sure they continue the tradition of great value.

Regarding the filters, I used to use them religiously. You can rinse them under hot water immediately after smoking and they will last for many smokes. I found that they really reduce moisture accumulation. Lately I have gotten lazy and tend to smoke them without the filter, every bit as good as any other pipe under the same circumstances.