Brigham pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrT999

Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on Brigham pipes? (I only found a short exchange from 2008 on them) While I don't need another pipe (he told himself repeatedly), some of them really draw me for some reason. . . . If you do use them, does their 'system' work for you, or do you just remove the 'rock maple insert' and pretend it didn't exist in the first place?

Certainly if a guy has a tendency towards filters or especially likes the Savinelli type of balsa block absorber thingy, then the Brigham system will make sense.

For sure it absorbs some moisture, and there was a P+T article in which the author felt that of all the filter pipes he tried, the Brigham system did more for bitey blends than any other system.

The new pipes are Italian manufactured, with a plastic tenon (probably delrin). The old ones were made in Canada with an aluminum tenon, and generally are considered to be a pretty good value.

To me, they have lost the charm they had. Just another inexpensive Italian made pipe.

I bought a fine churchwarden from Sasquatch that uses those maple filters and it smokes very well. It really doesn't interrupt the smoke stream very much, mostly it absorbs a bit of the juices right where they would start to creep up the stem and into your mouth.

Nicely made pipes, I think.

Natch

That was a nice pipe, wasn't it? But it was 3 or 4 times the price of an "ordinary" brigham right now, too.

I have two Brighams and they are good smokers. The filters last longer and can be used over again, and they allow a pipe cleaner to pass to the bowl easily. I think they are a good buy.

I bought my first Brigham recently, it is a good smoker, tends to burn rather hot though.

Thanks everyone. I'll wait and see how my pipes in storage clean up over Christmas; I might need some replacements 8)

I've recently been tempted by Brigham pipes. Nice looking and in my price range. Been somewhat put off by the filter thing though. I have several Savinellis that had the bamboo filter and eventually decided that it didn't work for me. So, have been smoking them ever since without the filter and I find them all the better for the result.

Perhaps I'll give Brigham another look.

Cheers,

RR

For the record, Brigham Filters aren't filters at all. In fact, you can pass a pipe cleaner through the middle of them. The air hole is the same diameter as a "regular" air hole. The benefit is that the smoke passes through wood for a longer period rather than through the lucite/rubber stem. As it does so, tars and moisture are wicked to the outside of the wooden tube (filter). The smoke and draw is not impeded in any way. I hope this brief description is helpful to the discussion.

Well, there's a good looking Brigham 'prince' over at smoking pipes....

What the heck . . . happy early Christmas to me!

b-pipe.jpg

Boulder":wjtdfupe said:

Very good looking pipe, Sir. Congrat's. :rendeer:
Thanks! It's a shape similar to some others I have, but one I particularly like. In fact, in most ways, this is the pipe I've been looking for on and off for quite some time. I'll find out tomorrow how well it smokes!

"T"

I can't believe i haven't found this thread before!

I love my Brigham pipes! I own 7 brighams of varying qualities, the last 4 pipes of the year, a canadian in their chinook finish, one cheapo with a generous bowl and one Billiard- straight- cumberland number that smokes fantastic.

As for the "system" personally if i was gonna smoke one with a filter this would be it, i just can't be bothered to buy more filters. so i usually use the filter that comes with the pipe for as long as it takes to break-in and it does ease on the bite.

For me its a shame they aren't made in Canada anymore but i do find that they are a terrific pipe for the price and fairly decent smokers.

Congrats on the new Brigham pipe. Brian Levine had one heck of a selection of them in Las Vegas, very nice looking pipes.

I have 3 of the old (Mid 90's) made in Canada pipes. All very well made and good smokers. The new ones I could not tell you about.

New Brigham Bent Rhodesian:

brig-rh.jpg

While one can never have too many pipes, I think I have enough pipes to have a nice selection to work with, and with 65+ tobaccos to try, hopefully I have enough to keep me going until September . . . but we'll see! :D