Broken pipe, loss of a Canadian pioneer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al in Canada

Reaction score
Broken Pipe-

Herb Brigham died September 30th at the age of 94. Herb was the son of Roy Brigham founder of Brigham Enterprizes, the manufacturers of Canada's favourite pipe. Herb joined the firm at an early age and eventually took his father's place as head of the firm.

Note the Brigham freehand in the photo:
http://www.lifenews.ca/thestar/profile/146593

I'm going to fire up a Brigham Rhodesian I bought at the old Brigham factory in Parkdale (I used to work right nearby). By the time I made it to the factory, the lathes were quiet and all the pipes were being made in Italy. But they did have little retail store with a hand-written "Ring for Service" sign that was answered by a little old lady who probably set the factory's cornerstone.

It's a great pipe.

The first two pipes I ever bought were Brigham's and I still smoke them both today. Great pipes, Great Company. RIP Herb.

Joseph76":pwc2mjr9 said:
The first two pipes I ever bought were Brigham's and I still smoke them both today. Great pipes, Great Company. RIP Herb.
My first were not Brighams but as soon as I could afford good pipes, those were what I bought.

Al, thanks for posting this, saved to my pipes folder.

My condolences to the family! I will have a bowl of Father Orin in my Bjarne churchwarden in his honor!

Robert

Slow Puffs":hcooykst said:
Thanks for sharing.... I have a number of Brighams...
Don't we all, at least all Canadian pipe smokers. they may not be the most expensive pipes in our collection, but everyone i know has at least one, and most several, and all agree they are dependable pipes and generally good smokers. i find it doesn't matter what number of dots they have, they all smoke well. the 'dots' tell you more about the cosmetics than anything else. IMHO
YMMV

al

i have about 6 Brighams that i smoke regularly and i love my Brigham Chinook Canadian the most. I'll be having a bowl dedicated to that man.

taja-big dog":1ov86yym said:
were/are they the only pipe to use the wooden filter?
I don't know of any other pipe brand that takes the wooden filters, and only some of the Brigham pipes use them. I rather like them, at least in the one I own.

Natch