Burly

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...OTC...."Over the Counter"?

CH= Carter Hall...ok....

It took me forever to figure out what "B&M" meant on here..

I was like..."Baccy and...Matches?"

:lol!:

Hey, I never could figure out that texting language you youngins use. :D earl

WALNUT,,,Warfarin And Linoleum Nuked Until Toasted,,,, :affraid:

sorry Mark,,,my evil twin made me do it,,,,

I will admit that "at times," I wonder what it would be like to try baccy's such as CH, PA, SWR, Half& Half, Cherry Blend, etc. again. Not enough to do it though!!!!! It's been over 40 years, but I still remember the bite. Same for aromatics; just can't do it!! I do have some Troost Slices and Bob's Choc. Flake that I puff on every now and then. I seem to handle/enjoy those pretty well. Burley will have to wait until I get really "likkered up!!" :lol!: FTRPLT

Actually, in my experience, tobaccos like CH & PA tend to be bite-free unlike many other non-OTC burleys. earl

Carter Hall and Half&Half are often mentioned together as if they are similar, but my experience with them couldn't be more different. I love CH, but have never gotten more than 10 puffs into a bowl of H&H before dumping it.

Benton":xg79z2hn said:
Carter Hall and Half&Half are often mentioned together as if they are similar, but my experience with them couldn't be more different. I love CH, but have never gotten more than 10 puffs into a bowl of H&H before dumping it.
That's me...I smoke a bowl or two of Carter Hall every day, but can't stand H&H. To me, a bowl of Half & Half would be about like scraping the outer layer of my tongue off with a dull razor.

Of course, I'm sure some people enjoy it. Everybody has different tastes :arrow:

dt753":mg2v6f43 said:
Benton":mg2v6f43 said:
That's me...I smoke a bowl or two of Carter Hall every day, but can't stand H&H. To me, a bowl of Half & Half would be about like scraping the outer layer of my tongue off with a dull razor.

Of course, I'm sure some people enjoy it. Everybody has different tastes :arrow:
Same here,just don't care for the H&H.

mark":mixc616f said:
WALNUT,,,Warfarin And Linoleum Nuked Until Toasted,,,, :affraid:

sorry Mark,,,my evil twin made me do it,,,,
No offense here Mark. Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke!

PipesandCigars.com is running a special on Walnut.........$17.99 a tub!

SHHHHHH,,,don't tell these sufistikated guys, but two pinches of walnut, three pinches of CH and a pinch of Autumn evening is a damn fine smoke,,,smooth and interesting,,shhhhh,,,,

Any Cornell and Diehl "Old Joe Krantz" fans? I hear it is Mr. Tarler's favorite.

Edit: I ask because I understand it to be an "all-day" burley.

How about Barbary Coast? It's one of the GL Pease I have not tried.

I haven't tried Old Joe Krantz. I have smoked Barbary Coast. It's very tasty, and I love the cut. Sometimes, though, I found it hard to keep lit. It's been a while since I've fired up a bowl...I need to revisit it.

Mike

I like to mix CH, SWR, and some bulk Latakia and Virginia. Now I'm the weird one, I suppose.

I'm a True Believer for Granger, but in that I tolerate its faults.

Barbary Coast is delicious; I have a doomsday supply laid up in the cellar. I find keeping it lit is easier with a good wide bowl, a little drying, and a loose pack (like the sort you do when cutting a flake into a cube-cut.)

Crookshanks":xxx8drdz said:
...snip...
How about Barbary Coast? It's one of the GL Pease I have not tried.
I like Barbary Coast a lot. It's tricky to handle, though, because of the cube cut. When it is moist it is hard to keep lit, when it's dry the cubes come apart and make it easy to overpack.

Gravity feeding it into a big wide bowl seems to be the best technique, then it's great.

The topping sweetness and the VA sweetness play together very nicely, so do the topping fruityness and the perique. Of course, that is all on top a study burley base, which suits me, but ain't for everyone.

If in search of a bite free sweet virginia look no further than McClellands Dark Star

I had a hard time finding a burley that I liked. I love VA's and VaPers, and smoke latakia blends occasionally depending on the weather (like them more in the cold months) but I just could not smoke traditional OTC burleys. Then this past summer I bought a pouch of PA and couldn't get enough of it. Based on this I tried them all, CH, SWR, and now I have settled on CH as my burley of choice. If I understand the blend correctly, it is basically burley (ala PA) with a bit of virginia tobacco to lend a sweet flavor, at least that I what I get from it. I can smoke it all day long in one of my favorite cobs, and it never bites me.

For some reason, Kentucky Club gives me the whole mouth on fire effect that was mentioned earlier. I have tried this one only a couple of times but both times that is what happened and it took half the day for my mouth to cool off. No thanks.

If a very infrequent poster may offer a recommendation, McBaren London Burley Blend has become my go to tobacco. Yeah, I know McBaren bites some people like crazy (I can't smoke Va #1) but i love thisd blend.

I love me some burley! MacBaren Navy Flake, Esoterica Stonehaven, Reiner LGF, GL Pease Barbary Coast, Solani Aged Burley Flake, and Peterson Irish Flake (careful with this one! it is fire cured burley though, or "kentucky") are all great.

As far as bite, I don't notice it more with burley. Maybe practice sipping with some macbaren?