Burly

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This goes way back to the first post by Aaron in this thread.

I hadn't been able to smoke straight VA for 18 months due to tongue bite but then I came upon a post by someone who quoted LL in a post that he originally made on Knox. This method allows you to smoke those blends that had heretofore bitten you.

Also, LL's post claims a vast increase in flavor; I haven't found that.

It's called the Stein Method but I just looked and I can't find the post. Look for it in the pipes or tobacco areas. I'll post my version of that Method here.

But before I do let me say that I can now smoke two blends that have heretofore bitten me without bite. I've finished 100 g and come away bite free.

------------

The Stein Method (according to alfredo_buscatti)

This method is for VA flake but I would bet it would work with almost any cut.

But assuming you are smoking flake, cut it into 4 mm squares. Fill a qt sized plastic bag with enough to fill the bowl; I find that overfilling it makes the load easier. Scoop with your pipe; it's permissible to tap the sides of the bowl to settle the tobacco.

Light the tobacco but never insert your finger, tamper or anything else in the bowl. It's fine however to give the top a slight push down if the tobacco is brimming after the scoop. Light the tobacco and keep lighting it until it won't light anymore. At this point it's permissible to settle the ash with the tamper, but just let the weight of the tamper do this. But by the time I tamp 95% of the tobacco has been smoked.

And that's it!

I have been wanting to try Walnut but can't find a local source for a pouch and hesitant to bet on a full tub. I like CH a lot and can smoke PA but it is not my favorite any more. I understand that Walnut is supposed to be more of an English blend, any comparison as to how it might fare vs CH. I do smoke Dunhill english blends occasionally in my rotation although pure VA's and VaPers are my preferred. CH burley is my change of pace or all-day outside smoke.

Hunter5117":hnjepllp said:
I have been wanting to try Walnut but can't find a local source for a pouch and hesitant to bet on a full tub. I like CH a lot and can smoke PA but it is not my favorite any more. I understand that Walnut is supposed to be more of an English blend, any comparison as to how it might fare vs CH. I do smoke Dunhill english blends occasionally in my rotation although pure VA's and VaPers are my preferred. CH burley is my change of pace or all-day outside smoke.
Walnut is a fine Burley smoke with just a slight lean towards the English and enough Red Virginia to give it a subtle tobacco sweetness. It has been my everyday smoke for the last 7 years or so. To my knowledge it is no longer avialable in pouches and I haven't seen it locally in a long time but there are several resources on the internet. I have a dreaded feeling that it will be discontinued based on the recent down turn in availability and reduction in price. I have approximately 15 lbs. of it put back and hope to acquire a few more before it is gone. PM me your snail mail and I will send you a sample.

See as you called it, an enlish toung i would have, yet i do enjoy virginias and other yet burly has never been a faavoret it bite and afgter a while i feel it tasts like mud. yet haver trying over and over everu blend that ever came near me i found that burley work very well in flakes expecaley with virginias the deeper and dencer the flake Cake, or plug is the slower and cooler it will burn the virginas seem to keep it at i nice steadu pace and some times a little cigar leef mixed in adsjust a little complexity to the nutty sweet flavor. I recomend you try one more time face your enimeys and find a good tight cake plug or flake and give her a smoke after that you might just make her a friend :lol!: . Besides thoughs i hate all burleys they burn and burn to quick and tast like mud. :)