Burnout

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[Suddenly, without warning, 3 1/2 years later]:

Say, I just discovered this thread. I have never had a burnout in my life, other than what you do with a car. Not even a corncob. I have had bowls so hot you couldn't hold them, but not like the first post. Spider webbing was the result, but it seemed to go away, or get buried under cake. Anyone else? Just curious.

Never had one. I have had new pipes that I think may have had soft spots in the bowl and would get hot as heck in a particular spot the first smoke or two. They broke in successfully, and I was just more paranoid about the bowl temp for a while.

Still can believe you smoked it that hot for that long.
Think I'd stay with cobs if I was that hard on briar.

Cartaphilus":4xdsbuuk said:
Yep, if you're referring to me above. Early in my career as a pipe-smoking reprobate. Don't know if "spider-webbing" is the right term. Looks like crocodile hide or something on the inside of the bowl. Charcoal crocodile hide, with segments and stuff. Those pipes are long gone, heaved into the trash, victims of a sudden rage at pipe smoking due to a sore tongue. I know better now.  ;) 

Gee whiz, I wonder if there was a connection?!

Richard Burley":zv8ys8y6 said:
Cartaphilus":zv8ys8y6 said:
Yep, if you're referring to me above.  Early in my career as a pipe-smoking reprobate.  Don't know if "spider-webbing" is the right term.  Looks like crocodile hide or something on the inside of the bowl.  Charcoal crocodile hide, with segments and stuff.  Those pipes are long gone, heaved into the trash, victims of a sudden rage at pipe smoking due to a sore tongue.  I know better now.   ;) 

Gee whiz, I wonder if there was a connection?!
No I was referring to Kapnismologist but, seeing I'm a lazy reader and after hearing this from you, I'll certainly count you in.
And yes, its called spider webbing, the stage just before burn out depending on severity. Some can be saved if not too bad with a bit of mud and some slow smoking to build a cake over it. Done it on a few estates I had the misfortune to get off eBay. That and I've seen a lot of it from a customer of mine, nightmarish to say the least. There's defiantly a learning curve, thankfully I had others to direct me on the do's and don'ts of pipe smoking otherwise I might have done the same. Of course me being anal about the care of my pipes may have help a bit too, there my little babies.  ;) 

Kap's an experienced pipe guy and is way beyond smoking hard and hot. I think it was a flaw in the wood or damage from a previous owner that got the burnout started. He let what was going to happen anyway just happen for posterity. ;) 

Either way it's pretty damn impressive. Or should I say shocking? I've never had a burnout, but some of my very first pipes have a little of the spider webbing in them. They still smoke great and should continue to for years to come.

Thirty two years ago I bought a new Sashar. Eager to get the pipe ready, I filled and lit the pipe. Then I drove out of town, going at about 140kph for 15km while holding the pipe out the window and facing forward.

End of story and pipe. When I knocked out the tobacco, the bottom of the pipe dropped out as well!  :( 

MisterE":v3mx3kv9 said:
I´ve never seen a burnout like that before.
Because most would throw it out before it ever got close to that. I know I would. Interesting experiment, and subsequent story, for sure.

I would also think burnouts are more likely to happen to those of us who only smoke outdoors -- one reason why 1) I don't buy expensive pipes; 2) about 1/3 of my pipes are meers, falcons, and cobs (and a clay and a bog oak)

I had a freehand pipe I got new and smoked a couple times. It developed a hot spot almost instantly even with slow smoking and it blackened a bit right there on the exterior. I quit smoking it. It depressed me. I still have it in a drawer somewhere and always think I'll cut through it to see if it was too thin or had a void but I never remember to when I'm doing projects. I would likely give up on any pipe before I was able to smoke a whole in it like the one in the original post.