Butane Lighter Issues...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Mouse

Reaction score
So, here's a quick question for anyone that is familiar with butane lighters. I'm not. I did however get one yesterday and went to my local Canadian Tire to buy a can of whatever I could find (Ronson) filled up the lighter and yeah, it worked but I noticed that the flame wouldn't increase or decrease according to my adjustments. After relighting it a couple times I noticed it periodically grew to a larger flame but then would get smaller and continue to do so back and forth as I was trying to use it.

Is this due to a lesser quality butane (is there such a thing?) or do we have a faulty lighter? I hope that's not the case, it's brand friggin' new and one of the highly regarded Tsubota Pearl lighters.

Let me know Gents!

Butane is a petroleum refinement by-product, and varies widely in purity. Ronson is close to the bottom of the purity standard.

So in answer to your question, it could be both.

But it's easier to just bleed out the Ronson butane, get something better (refinement amount usually posted on the can) and fill it up and try it out. I like the "Vector" brand, as it's cheap and has been reliable for me.

Make sure you follow the directions on the can--if you don't have the can vertical and upside-down when you fill, you're likely putting the propellant (the stuff that keeps it under pressure) into the lighter, and that'll make it sputter and act funny too.

If all of that fails, your lighter probably sucks. 8)

Kyle Weiss":wxbd36gp said:
Butane is a petroleum refinement by-product, and varies widely in purity. Ronson is close to the bottom of the purity standard.

So in answer to your question, it could be both.

But it's easier to just bleed out the Ronson butane, get something better (refinement amount usually posted on the can) and fill it up and try it out. I like the "Vector" brand, as it's cheap and has been reliable for me.

Make sure you follow the directions on the can--if you don't have the can vertical and upside-down when you fill, you're likely putting the propellant (the stuff that keeps it under pressure) into the lighter, and that'll make it sputter and act funny too.

If all of that fails, your lighter probably sucks. 8)
Is there a special way "bleeding" out the butane? Other than keeping the sucker lit until it's empty? I'm only used to my Zippo.

Edit: Scratch that, I did that fancy thing you guys talk about called "research". Well, Google did most the work.

...just keep your face away from the fill input when you bleed out the Ronson (and don't break the fill input...and keep away from open flame)... beyond that, you're golden. 8)

Before buying new butane make sure, always, to depress the fill valve on the lighter to release any air that accumulates during normal use. In your case, depress the valve to expel all that is currently in the lighters tank and then refill.

Another trick, after making sure that the tank is empty, is to warm the lighter slightly (letting sit on your computer or hold it in your under arm for a few minutes) before filling. The reason is basic physics: cold moves to warm. Also, as you know, always shake the butane before filling.

Hope that helps, it did me with my lighter.

I'll second the Vector recommendation. Their stuff is great and cheap by comparison to say, Colibri lighter fluid.

First off - let me apologize for writing such a long post. I was struck by a comment here as it's exactly opposite from what I've heard over the years and it kind of inspired me to make a reply, and when I started writing...and since it's a lovely morning and I've got my coffee and have a newer Peterson Royal Irish filled with the new MacBaren "Old Dark Fired" blend and it's smoking just incredibly well...well, it all just kind of came out. So sorry...but here goes:

I'm glad I read this post. First because I broke down, sold the ranch, and bought a Pearl Eddie butane a little while ago as well. It works like a dream come true...easily the finest fire stick I've ever had...and I've had a whole bunch, believe-you-me! If it just didn't seem so clumsy to operate it by holding in my right hand, flipping the top and rotating the striker...then having to rotate the whole lighter backward still in the same hand so it's oriented for me to dip the flame into the bowl.

I've seen all kinds of 'sure fire' ways to go through the re-fill thing and here's all that distilled down to what works well for me:

1. when your lighter's flame starts reducing, not due to variations of heat and cold to the lighter body (etc.), it's time for a refill. Remember that altitude also affects how well you lighter will work. If I'm going up to the mountains around here I take my Mattte Black Pipe Zippo as well.

2. bleed any remaining fuel from the lighter by pointing the fill port downward and pushing in on the stem with a pipe nail, pen point, whatever. After the obvious hiss of excaping gas stops...do it again...and then again. Often a second, third, etc. push on the stem will allow more gas to excape. Why? Doesn't matter, it just does. Do this until all the gas is gone.

3. now...with the fill port pointing upward, push the nozzle of your can of, at least triple filtered butane (Even though the Pearl Eddie has activated charcoal stored inside the fuel tank to absorb impurities...you want it to last a lifetime...right?) straight down over and onto the in-valve, firmly, and hold for several seconds.

4. with most lighters you need to turn the 'high/low' setting to the lowest possible setting prior to draining your tank...and not turn it back up til the lighter has been refilled. With the Pearl Eddie...I don't know. The setting screw on the this lighter produces significant changes with very minor adjustments. I've fiddled with mine...turning it way down to fill and back up afterwards, but it doesn't seem to make much difference...so I leave it alone.

* Note: It's my understanding from several sources that it's NOT advisable to shake the fuel can. Why do so? I've heard that you should carefully invert the can so as not to mix up too much 'propellant' with the butane that goes into your lighter. That's just what I've read...it's what I do...and it works perfectly for me so I continue to do it.

* Note: It's also my understanding that you don't want your lighter's tank to have 100% fuel inside...you want to leave maybe 15% space in there. Again...why? I have no idea. But in the past when I've filled lighters with transparent tanks I've noticed that one firm push on the can will fill the tank maybe 85% and it fills FAST. Repeated 'fill pushes' added a bit more butane each time...but I'd advise against it. It's something to do with that air (or whatever it is) helping to push the butane out of the tank...because the warnings about that always seem to be related to a 'cures' for a lighter that won't produce a strong flame...mostly torch style lighters.

* Note: I agree that on occasion, too much air gets in the tank and things don't work so well and you need to then bleed the tank. Some say that you can do this and retain butane in the tank by holding the lighter bottom upward and slightly and quickly depressing the fill stem. I don't think this works and would just start over from the beginning.

* Note: Some lighters seem to build up carbon or whatever at the tip of the flame nozzle. I think this is from using cheap fuel...like the Ronson mentioned. Although in it's defense, I use Ronson fuel exclusively in my Ronson lighters. Yes...even though I have and use what I consider the best (the Pearl Eddie) I have a number of Ronsons floating around...in my car, the my shop, in the tool boxes I have, etc. There are two model to look for: first is the famous Jet Lite, made in China found at Walmart for under $5...all metal and they work damn near flawlessly...easily the best value in a torch lighter out there. The other is the Comet...cheap plastic, soft flame, works well indeed. The Comet (I buy them in blister packs of three) is the one that tends toward getting clogged or something. I turn it over and rap the head sharply on a firm surface, once or twice and that usually does it. Small price to pay for a very cheap, refillable, adjustible, lighter.

Well, that's about it. More than anyone ever wanted to hear from me, I'm sure. But all of the above stems from my reaction to the comment made by kieveryuu:

Also, as you know, always shake the butane before filling.
I thought it was interesting, as I'd heard and read exactly the opposite. Is his comment correct, or is mine. Again...I have no idea. But NOT shaking the can, as I wrote above, has always worked perfectly for me...for years, and years...so I go with it.

BTW: Congrats on the Pearl! I would NEVER pay that much for a lighter, but all the buzz about it just got to me, as I love gadgets. I thought the engineering improvements it has were clever...and as I have a great respect for those that actually THINK and have the ability to apply their insights. The family that operates this business also impressed me for several reasons, but their pride in the product was obvious. I also love the fact that it takes a regular Zippo flint. Mine is the plain silver one...received in error as I had ordered the silver stripe model, which to me is the classic of the bunch. But as that one was not available, and as the vendor had advertised the wrong one, he extended a price offer for me to keep the plain one that I couldn't refuse...and I ended up getting it for about $75. And I thought that perhaps, if it's safe to do so, the plain side of the tank might seems to lend itself to being engraved. If the side of the tank is an outer sleeve, then engraving wouldn't be a problem. If it's the actual tank, then there might be an issue with engraving it reducing the wall strength or something, which I wouldn't want to do, of course. Still looking into that. As the product home site is all in Japanese I don't know how to send them an inquirey. Eventually I'll get an answer.

OH! And since I'm already here...do you have a pouch for your Pearl. I figured that since it was such an expensive item it should be protected from 'pocket lint' and found a great leather pouch that fits it perfectly...from an old Xikar lighter I got some years ago. I'd also recommend putting yours in a pouch. I think that one made for a Zippo would also fit OK. I noticed a few in the B&M I go to that were made by a local woman, fabric, all sorts of awful colors and patterns, but there must be others out there that would work well. I think especially the ones with a decorative finish would be well served by always using a pouch. Just sayin'.

Learned a lot from reading all about butane lighters. I am a Zippo man. I fill my Zippo each morning and I'm good for the day. I also carry a BIC butane as a backup lighter. Sometimes I even flick the BIC just to light the Zippo if the flint is out or the wheel is hard to get along with for whatever reason. Having said that and reading all the grief involved with fine butane lighters I think I'll stick to my BIC. Some of you guys absolutely hate Walmart and some of my buddies work there so I'll just say a card of 5 BIC lighters at the checkout counter for about $2.50 is a deal I can't walk away from. I was given a Perdomo butane cigar lighter as a gift. It never worked. I've researched the problem you mentioned on the internet also. I've done all the acrobotics short of standing on my head and sticking my tongue out while attempting to make the lighter fart out air to no avail. I guess it's like a fine gold watch that does not keep time but is impressive to look at. If you want to know the time of day a cheap $10 Casio is the way to go.

Nuthin' wrong with a BIC. And you can put one in yours pants pocket and if they don't X-Ray you, you can walk right through airport security cause the little devils don't register. I've done it numberous times.

But, there's nuthin' wrong with the Ronson Comet (if you can find one). They're refillable, adjustible, cost the same as a BIC. I've had about 4 of 'em for years...as they take cheap butane and always work. Good economics. Oh...and they go through "Checkpoint Homeland" just fine too.

But there's just something fine about a good steampunk - cogs and wheels and gears kinda lighter. Sure, I could buy twenty BICS for the same money...but mine should still be goin' fine when your two dozen BICS are just landfill mass...I hope.

I think most of the issues (like not working) are more with the torch lighters. The soft flame ones seem to have far fewer problems. I guess it's just where you want to stop along the evolutionary curve (re: lighters that is). Someone could be oout there tryin' to light his cob with a flint and steel...or a Vespa...then the Zippo...and the BIC...and then all hell breaks loose.

Dave: I think you hit on something. My only (bad) experience has been with torch butanes. I like them when I smoke a cigar which is infrequently, but my luck with them has been terrible. I now use a Zippo with the cigarette insert for cigar lighting. I have not tried a soft light butane lighter. Do you have any experience with the butane insert for a Zippo?

Blackthorse, that was an excelent response about gas lighter care and use. Unfortunatly, I've not really had much in the way of good experiences with gas style of lighters and I've had a few really good ones including a Dunhill Rollagas several years ago. I've gone back to my dependable ( for me) fuel lighters time and time again. I'm currently using two when I go out and use a lighter, either my 15 yo Zippo w/pipe insert or my old Sterling Dunhill Rollalite that I got in Hong Kong back in 1969 and had modified by ARS to a pipe lighter back in the early 70's. Both have been flawless when filled and I have had to get both serviced twice since I bought them but they still strike and light when I need 'em! But everyone's needs are filled by different items so if a gas lighter works for you use it :p I don't feel a fuel lighter "adds" any taste to my smoke, but then I don't smell "ketchup" in my McClelland's tobacco either :p Here's ARS's site, GREAT folks to deal with and they do FANTASTIC work ; http://www.authorizedrepairservice.com/. And here's my old Rollalite Dunhill :

DunhillRollalite-1.jpg

Thanks so much for the tips guys! There are still things about butane lighters that frustrate me, but I haven't given up on a solution just yet! 8)

Thanks for the info Dave. I'm sticking with what I have because they light my pipes just fine.

KGM makes an insert that fits Zippo cases. It's a soft flame gas lighter and works well. The flame is a 45 degree flame and the tank could be bigger but considering it has a lifetime warranty, flint ignited, the fuel lasts 4-5 days and the insert is relatively cheap it isn't a bad deal. Mine has never given me a problem but I've only had it for two years.

Here, I'll channel Marty for a second:

"BH, your post was WAY TOO LONG, and I didn't read it!"

:lol:

Actually, I did read it. Good stuff, BH. I could tell that was a "in-the-zone-with-a-pipe" post. Done 'em myself. Once or twice.

I don't think shaking the butane can is a good idea. The propellant and the butane are in a liquid state, and essentially you're mixing in stuff that doesn't burn very well in with the butane you want. In this liquid state, they are of different densities, the propane (or other propellant) lighter, the butane heavier. Think of an oil/vinegar salad dressing. When you shake it, the oil globules don't exactly mix with the vinegar, however, they break down into tiny bubbles and float around a bit. If you were to invert the bottle, the vinegar would come out first, and the oil last--if it is "mixed," obviously, some of each comes out. Good for salads, not as good for butane filling. Just invert the can to vertical and fill--keep it simple.

BH, good tip on the small bubble of atmosphere in the lighter. It's pretty difficult to overfill the lighter, as putting more pressure on whatever atmosphere in the lighter is what makes it "full." Interestingly, when a lighter is 85% full, you're seeing the same amount of "air" in the lighter under pressure would exist if the lighter was empty. This is why it's difficult to overfill a lighter, because there's a limit to the pressure and the design of the lighter being able to compress that amount of air into a given space with the butane. The lighter is likely difficult to light when it is "too full" because there's an overpressure of the butane pushing on the release valve as it is being lit, and too much pressure means the design isn't working as efficiently as it could. Releasing a little butane if you suspect it is overly full fixes this. I have a few lighters with no "window" to show me how much butane is actually in the lighter, but the flame control and consistency tells me what's going on.

I see this has been dormant for a few months but I found it searching for info on operating my new Vector Thunderbird lighter I recently got from Dave at Walker Briar Works. Thanks guys for the great info and helpful tips.

I still have a couple questions. The lighter came with the flame control set at about half. Under the best conditions this seemed to work OK but with continued experience I found that frequently the flame was going out, a good share of these times as if my puff was separating the flame away from the nozzle. I turned up the control a bit and maybe there has been a slight improvement of this situation. I'm trying to be conservative and not turn it up to the point of burning the rim of my pipes but I also want it to be an effective lighter. Am I being too careful? Any input would be appreciated.

The other question, which maybe belongs more in the traveling pipester thread but was touched on earlier here, is related to getting through TSA. I've looked and searched on the official site but didn't find a definitive answer. Zippo lighters are listed under the Lighter section as allowed if carried in an approved DOT case, but I could find no information on those cases. The Vector lighter body is interchangeable with any standard Zippo case and therefore looks like one. However I'm wondering if I am risking losing it because it's a butane lighter, or for some other reason, if I try to take it through in my carry-on (I don't check bags for the particular trips I have taken for work).

As to the question regarding shaking the can, #3 in the directions on my can of Vector fuel says, "Shake refill can to check if it contains gas." One might infer from that, combined with the more scientific and experiential input from this thread that if you know you have gas in the can you don't need to shake it.