Butternut Burley

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
For those who've tried it what is your opinion of "Butternut Burly"
bulk pipe tobacco?

What say you? :mrgreen:

I have purchased about 3 lbs of it. The first was delicious, but subsequent deliveries have been a bit of a let down. The casing seems much heavier, almost over powering. I now use it mainly as an additive with blends that need a bit of help with room note. When I am going to be around a group of friends that for whatever reason find the room note of a pipe tobacco less than satisfying I will add a couple of pinches of BB, mix it into the pouch and find that it doesn't compromise the smoking characteristics of the blend I chose, but leaves a light BB room note, which has gotten pretty good reviews from all and the ladies especially.
shootist51

Damn, it sounds like it could be a great blend sorry to hear about too much topping. Very American and Southern, at least the butternut part.

I've reviewed this one on [url=http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/]http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/[/url].

I pretty much agree with the shootist51 for the general review, nice room note, but I've found for me, it's 'heavy' even oily (and not in a good way). The sweetened Black Cav is almost overwhelming at times. I re-mixed my 8 ounce purchase adding in about 4 ounces of McC's X-40 Burley by the Slice and let it marry for about a month. It seemed to yield a much 'better' mixture for me, knocking down the oiliness and Black Cav to something I could enjoy more.

:pipe:

I love it, and it's the only aromatic I smoke. Just ordered a load from 4noggins, and mainly for the reasons people have highlighted - I'm a smoker of English blends but understand that they're not that great to be on the receiving end of. My wife will allow me to walk through the house with BB but will fall over in a dead faint with any of my normal blends (Nightcap, 1792, EMP etc.).

Also it's completely free of tongue bite.

I consider it above average as aromatics go, but not by much. There's a bit of that synthetic taste sensation that plague the majority of industrial aromatics like Lanes, Altadis, etc. The flavor is a bit heavy and sweet.

Burns great, no bit, overall thumbs up with a recommendation to try it.

I like it as it has a great aroma and taste but it's just so darn mild I have to really puff it to taste it. Tastes like marshmallows to me.

After wading thought a pound of BB I find it to be Ok in rotation. I like
it so much I stocked 7 lbs in reserves to mellow and marry down a bit.

Really glad I found this tobac! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bought a pound of it recently. I find the flavor to be lacking and a bit flat tasting. The aroma is nice and it will not singe your flapper but I just find it a bit boring. I added a good bit of McClelland 5100 Red Cake to it and it made it a much better blend but all in all there are a lot of other burley blends out there that I enjoy much better. If you want a good aromatic burley than try 4 Noggins Essence of Vermont or just a tub of Middleton's Sugar Barrel which I find superior to Butternut Burley.

Got another lb of it a couple of weeks back. It's one of my go to aromatics.
I smoke it public when I care about offending folks, but it is a good tasting
tobacco IMHO.

Funn

This tobacco is one of those that one has to say...........
"Different strokes for different folk's" about. :mrgreen:

Buck":a0ogu842 said:
For those who've tried it what is your opinion of "Butternut Burly"
bulk pipe tobacco?

What say you? :mrgreen:
My personal favorite.

In my top 10 for sure....very mellow, no bite no matter how hard you try. :lol: I would recommend it to other first timers.