C&D Bayou Night - eh

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
Without checking my notes, or even remembering my first bowl from a couple weeks ago, I loaded up my second bowl of C&D Bayou Night. After smoking awhile I checked my notes from my first bowl and ended up with the same results. I just get a pine needle flavor on the draw with a prickly mouth feel with unsweet raisin and lime on the finish. I get no sweetness from this blend at all. I think a little sweetness would be needed for me to like this blend. I'll toss the rest of the jar in my cellar, but I'm not expecting much. Kinda bummed. Sounded good on paper.

The problem with this one is the insane amount of perique that it has, it does not let any of the other parts come thru, and it can ghost a pipe to boot, the nicotine on this blend as I recall is not for amateurs.

ZeroContent":0wl106vt said:
with a prickly mouth feel
I get the same. It's like a cheap black pepper deal for me, too. Not a seasoning, but just a bad sensation and flavor. I get it with Bayou Morning as well. One was worse than the other, but I cannot remember which was which.

I liked Bayou Morning as well. I only had a small sample of it, but I remember thinking it had a pretty good wallop of perique. If Bayou Night has more of it than Bayou Morning, I'd probably pass on it.

That said though, I do enjoy an occasional bowl of Haddo's Delight, Fillmore and Kajun Kake.

I'm still deciding if I like perique. I usually am a VA and Lat bomb guy. I decided to get a bunch of VaPers and even a few aros in my most recent order. I'm thinking the aros were a mistake. I pretty much hate the smell and taste of pretty much every aro I've ever tried. I don't know what they put in those things, but there's always this fake sweetness smell that's just horrible. I thought I just tried low quality but even McClelland's smell like crap. If i can't smoke any of the ones I got, I'm just going to bail on aros all together. I also haven't tried any straight burleys yet so I gotta give those a whirl.

Just opened the tin of Bayou Night I was bombed with last year, loaded my Pete system 303 and set sail. What a rich and fecund tin aroma. Rotting fruits and horse manure but in a good way like gorgonzola or other stinky cheeses.

Flavour was cigarish on initial light, I presume from the fact that both cigar leaf and perique are fermented during processing. Dark chocolate, roast almond and sour plum crossed my tongue during the smoke, changing with each puff.

Bad mistake smoking this on an empty stomach though, I had to put the bowl down for a while at the halfway point as my head was starting to spin. Certainly a stronger nicotine hit than ODF which was the last blend to knock me on my arse.

Smoking it out of an Old Dominion cob, which has a much narrower and taller bowl than my 303, the flavours are muted and nowhere near as complex. I found this to be surprising as one of my thoughts whilst puffing on my first bowl was that it'd be great in a cob. Might have to try one of my bigger cobs.

As for ghosting, yes it does, the bowl of plum pudding I had afterwards in the 303 tasted heavily of perique. Haven't yet had any further bowls to see if the ghost is still there.

Thanks to the bomber of this one, certainly a unique tobacco. Oh and anyone who is put off by the description including Latakia, don't be, I can't detect any in there at all. The perique seems to dominate.

Cheers

Tim

I enjoy Bayou Night bulk 70% and Lane Burley & Black bulk 30% blended together and jarred for a minimum of one year. Yes, some should not smoke Bayou Night on an empty stomach, the nic hit can really hit you. But this simple blend is one of my favorites and I smoke it often. Now tastes more like a salt/pepper peanut butter cup. This blend smokes with no bite when pushed and leaves little moisture at the bottom of the bowl.  Bayou Night straight in my opinion is for lovers of Perique for sure. Not for the average Joe or Jane....lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!