C&D Big and Burley #103

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eklektos44

Reaction score
I've smoked this blend several times, and just thought I'd give a few impressions. It is a very full blend almost akin to smoking a cigar, perhaps a maduro. It has latakia but I rarely detected it; it's being quite overpowered by the burley. There is a roasted chestnut taste to it with hints of unsweetened chocolate and oak. There is no sweetness in the tobacco and a black pepper finish. It burns evenly and is best not too damp. All in all a full bodied and potent blend which is quite enjoyable, if not for an every day smoke.

That's one of the Bob Runowski blends that I haven't tried. Is it stronger than Old Joe Krantz?

DrumsAndBeer":etn2xjab said:
That's one of the Bob Runowski blends that I haven't tried. Is it stronger than Old Joe Krantz?
In terms of strength, I think they are similar. OJK gets the edge both in vitamin N and in-your-face flavor. Big -n- Burley is a great smoke.

DrumsAndBeer":8wdesc3x said:
I've not smoked OJK, so I couldn't say. It's listed as an English blend, but it's not like any I've smoked before. The Latakia isn't very pronounced, but you can taste the Perique quite well at the finish.

I was the inverse of eklektos44, I have smoked my fair share of OJK but none of this. Until now! I think eklektos44 gave a damn fine review at the beginning. And I would probably agree with Fr_Tom about the strength. I would say as a non latakia smoker, generally, I did detect the latakia at light and a bit throughout though it doesn't dominate the burley so I'm in agreement with the OP. Full, smooth but also with some spicy moments, good Nicotine. A cigar smoker would probably enjoy this.

Must give this one a spin someday, sounds interesting and the Lat might be a small enough proportion for me to deal with.

Thanks for the review and intel gents.

Cheers,

RR

I like Big & Burley, but find it to be nothing like OJK. The burleys are different and much lighter and sweeter in B&B in my opinion.  It is a good solid smoke that you don't have to think about, but if you want to pay attention there is a bit going on in the background.  OJK takes your attention.
Mike.

I have a feeling I'm not going to like OJK. I can hardly imagine Burleys less light and sweet than B&B. It makes me scared to crack that can now.

The lat is definitely a condiment here, and really blends in to the earthiness of the burley. There's a lot more of it in Epiphany, for instance.

Thomas Tkach":i55tky14 said:
I have a feeling I'm not going to like OJK. I can hardly imagine Burleys less light and sweet than B&B. It makes me scared to crack that can now.

The lat is definitely a condiment here, and really blends in to the earthiness of the burley. There's a lot more of it in Epiphany, for instance.
I agree, I didn't find it light or sweet at all. I did find OJK milder by comparison. I like both actually.

eklektos44":bj19i3f4 said:
Thomas Tkach":bj19i3f4 said:

I agree, I didn't find it light or sweet at all. I did find OJK milder by comparison. I like both actually.
I didn't mean light or sweet in a negative way.  And light is, in retrospect, a poorly defined term.  The burley in the blend has plenty of flavor, but I do not find that it has a great deal of depth in flavor profile.  Its consistent, which can be good, but to my tastes lacks a lot of the musty bitter chestnut notes I get from other C&D burleys.  On the sweetness, I was surprised given that B&B apparently has no virginia.  Some of the sweetness I get might be coming from an interplay with the orientals I suppose.
Mike.

OK so my interest is piqued enough -

If any of you fine gentlemen could spare say several bowls worth I'd be very grateful. And I'll repay in kind.

pm me....

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

eklektos44":nylkap12 said:
I've smoked this blend several times, and just thought I'd give a few impressions. It is a very full blend almost akin to smoking a cigar, perhaps a maduro. It has latakia but I rarely detected it; it's being quite overpowered by the burley. There is a roasted chestnut taste to it with hints of unsweetened chocolate and oak. There is no sweetness in the tobacco and a black pepper finish. It burns evenly and is best not too damp. All in all a full bodied and potent blend which is quite enjoyable, if not for an every day smoke.
Wow. Smoking some right now for the first time and this review is incredibly spot-on. The end of the bowl should kill any cravings for nicotine for a couple of hours, I'm thinkin'. Pipe is a Pete Squire 'dog.

Have they changed the cut of this blend? I received an order a few days ago, and it doesn't look anything like the photos I'm seeing of it. It's all golden tobacco and also ribbon cut. It doesn't have much of a scent in the jar, either. I'm wondering if they sent me the correct stuff. Flavor wise, it doesn't have much of one at all. Very mild, but also harsh on the throat and tongue (accidentally inhaled a wee bit in the wind). I'll try to get a photo of mine. Can't do it right now.

Zeno Marx":vwuon19s said:
Have they changed the cut of this blend?  I received an order a few days ago, and it doesn't look anything like the photos I'm seeing of it.  It's all golden tobacco and also ribbon cut.  It doesn't have much of a scent in the jar, either.  I'm wondering if they sent me the correct stuff.  Flavor wise, it doesn't have much of one at all.  Very mild, but also harsh on the throat and tongue (accidentally inhaled a wee bit in the wind).  I'll try to get a photo of mine.  Can't do it right now.
I think you got the wrong thing packaged in the baggie.

My last order a month ago from Smokingpipes I received the 1lb. bulk of Big N Burley that I always order to age as my stock gets depleted. The blend has changed ever so slightly over the past 5 years but I will say the blend is made up of fairly dark tobacco's and no ribbon cut, it's still a rough cut with a minimal amount of Latakia, Perique and Turkish. I use Big N Burley for some of my own blends so I go through allot. It's still a decent smoke by itself ( it's NOT Storm Front ) and gets much better with a minimum of 6 months of aging. Fresh, you might get a tongue bite and it smokes a bit harsh.
I think what Fr. Tom stated is most likely correct.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!