C&D's Three Friars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Today I received a sample of Three Friars sent to me by a my good friend Rande (Brewdude). As I opened the bag I was immediately met by the aroma of a tobacco barn where tobacco was flue cured. As a boy I spent many hours loading and unloading tobacco barns and always enjoyed the smell of fresh cured tobaccco. I've only smoked 3 bowls so far but it is enough for me to decide if it is a tobacco that I'd keep in my regular rotation and this one will certainly be there. The evenly colored medium golden brown ribbon cut tobacco had a  perfect moisture content being just a little on the dry side making it an easy tobacco to pack and light. The first few puffs made me smile because the Perique delivered just a hint of spiciness and a bit more of sweetness. It was noticable for sure but I could tell it was there as a condiment and not the main character. My taste buds are not very sensitive but each component had sufficent strength for me to to detect. The fruity sweetness of the Va.'s are perfectly balanced with the rich nuttiness of the burley. For me the nicotine was spot on having enough effect to satisfy my craving. As I continued to smoke I noticed that each puff delivered a large volume of rich tasty smoke. The volume was so large and the sensation felt so thick that it almost demanded that I chew. The combination of all three types of tobacco throughout the bowl remained perfectly balanced with none becoming dominant. The sweetness was subtle but the taste simlar to brown sugar was left on the stem of the pipe which is a characteristic I find exceedingly pleasurable. Three friars burned all the way to the bottom of the bowl requiring only a couple of relights to each bowl. It didn't give any hint of tongue bite but would begin to burn quickly if I started to puff agressively. This quick puffing caused the bowl to get too hot to hold in my hand but returning to slow regular pufffing allowed it to cool down so I could enjoy the rest of the bowl. At the end of each bowl there was nothing left but some gray ash. The pipes used were a Mauro Armellini freehand apple, an Aristocob, and a sandblasted black Design Berlin bent brandy. I'm not sure what effect aging will have on this blend but you can rest assured that by the time I finish smoking all of this sample Rande sent me I will have ordered at least a dozen tins to stash away in my cellar. It comes in bulk but I don't have the room for anymore jars in my cellar. If you like a blend that has all these types of tobacco with no one type being dominate then this may be a blend you'd find to your liking.

Rande I sincerely appreciate you sending me the sample. Your generosity will be rewarded. Thanks again.  :)

AJ

Thanks for the review. I'm really looking forward to trying this tobacco. Mine should arrive tomorrow and now you've got my mouth watering.. 8)

AJ, thanks for taking the time to write this comprehensive review. I think I'll like this blend.

Fr_Tom":tk1t5mp2 said:
I am a big fan. I gave it a 4 on TR and have it listed in my favorites. I was smoking a bowl of it when I read AJ's review!
It was your review that convinced me to ask Rande for the sample. You wrote a good review. Thanks! :)

AJ

ajn27511":0phgr8id said:
It was your review that convinced me to ask Rande for the sample. You wrote a good review. Thanks! :)

AJ
I am glad to be of help. For me it is just a solid, reliable smoke that satisfies and is not quirky or expensive. It wears well for me. I sometimes smoke up a 4 oz sample and order a pound. By the time the pound has been smoked, the novelty has worn off or I have discovered all the mysteries or something. Three Friars holds up very well, and I go through enough of it that I just have a pound open and don't bother transferring it to jars to smoke as I "have a mind."

I really like it in the tin but, I bought about a half pound in bulk and it certainly needs some cellar time.
A bit bitey off and on through the bowl and much stronger. I like a strong tobacco but, with the bite I have to set it aside awhile to age. I'm thinking that the tins probably sit around longer then the bulk does so that explains the difference. ;)

I've got some three Friars a while ago. My pallet says it needs some time.......

Thanks for the great review AJ. Its been a while since I smoked 3 Friars, but I remember my impressions were similar to what you describe. Its funny how some really great blends can just fall out of my rotation. Well, I'll be fixing that with my next order!
Mike.

I'm putting in a small order this morning and trying to decide between buying this by the tin or in bulk, the price difference is substantial. Based on experience does anyone care to give an estimate on how long it needs to be cellared if bought in bulk to where it's close in smoking quality to the tinned?

RobJ":3bb6hn7e said:
I'm putting in a small order this morning and trying to decide between buying this by the tin or in bulk, the price difference is substantial. Based on experience does anyone care to give an estimate on how long it needs to be cellared if bought in bulk to where it's close in smoking quality to the tinned?
Rob, I've had mine cellared for and 6 months and it needs about 6 more I'd say.
But, what the @&%$* do I know anyway? ;)

Well heck I gambled and lost then, I went for the bulk. Oh well, guess I'll order a tin in a week or two. Input appreciated Ron you curmudgeon pipe maker you. :lol:

:cheers:

Not to disagree with Ron, but I have only smoked the bulk and didn't find it unpleasant in anyway. Let's us know how the bulk and tIn compare Rob. I'll probably spring for a tin myself.
Mike.

RobJ":7y09ypdl said:
Well heck I gambled and lost then, I went for the bulk. Oh well, guess I'll order a tin in a week or two. Input appreciated Ron...
I smoke the bulk fresh, and I like it. It is possible I do not have the most sophisticated palate.

I didn't think to mention but, I do have issues with Burley and bite and 3 Friars is certainly a Burley blend.

Thanks gentlemen! Well Padre I'm sure my palate is suspect but you're one of a few Brothers here who's taste in blends tracks darn close to mine, so if you like this one "fresh" chances are I will too. And Ron I forgot about you and Burley, thankfully I don't have that problem.

:cheers:

eklektos44":l25vdmwk said:
Tastes fine to me fresh. :)
I too got a sample from Rande and I'm towing the same line... I haven't had any issues and it seems to work in all my pipes... delicious!

Thanks again Rande!

Scott