Cairo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED_X

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with G. L. Pease's Cairo blend? Good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks,
Ed

I really liked it. Only had one bowl so far but it was good. I don't remember details of the flavors, but I'll smoke more this weekend and let you know! Mine is also from 2005 and the tin was damn near exploding when I opened it.

I personally enjoyed this blend quite a bit. I found the Oriental component to be more understated than expected. More like a VaPer with a whisper of Oriental. YMMV depending on how sensitive to Perique you are. I'm actually kind of surprised it hasn't caught on as much as some of Greg's other blends.

Wish I had some here now. :cry:

Yes, Cairo was a very enjoyable blend. Didn't know it had Perique. The only reason I didn't smoke a lot of it was the existence of Renaissance, but miss it every time I'm reminded of it.

*** Disregard the rumblings above, was thinking of Raven's Wing when I wrote that :oops: ***

I like it a lot. I find it a very subtle blend. I like subtle. :lol: (In tobacco)

Thanks for all the insight, I think I'll pick some up with my next order with Smoking Pipes.

Ed

Shane was kind enough to send me a very generous and very old sample of the stuff. I didn't really pick up on the Oriental much at all, mostly Virginia with a bit of Perique.

just smoked a bowl of this in my little GBD. this blend is pretty particular to pipes i think. this time around it was EXPLODING with flavor. no way i wouldn't remember that. also, the blend has some age on it, and i seperated it into a small jar and a bigger jar so i can smoke out of the small jar while the bigger jar hangs out and does it's thing. don't know if it was the few weeks in the jar, or the pipe change but wow! definitely picking up the other 2006 tin and adding a few on to my next order for cellaring. enjoy it!

I popped a tin of Cairo today dated 7/10/00. This was my first experience of with it. The smell reminded me of Haddo's initially, but after a little exploration I found that there is no casing applied to it (says Greg Pease). All of that beautiful fruity smell is from the aging of the tobacco? Nice. Virginia/Oriental with a bass note of Perique. Ok, very nice. After a couple of bowls, I'm entirely ready to give my seal of approval. This is a tobacco I can see coming back to as the mood strikes. Like so many others, I have to roam through the spectrum of flavors to stay satisfied.
I could see how this isn't enough to wow some people but I think it is a solid Virginia/Oriental/Perique blend. I can find no fault, except maybe a little light, perhaps? Like Slide stated...subtle. If that's your thing, Cairo is another winner from GL Pease.

Cairo is one of only two Pease blends that just doesn't agree with the chemistry of my mouth, (i.e. it burns the hell out of it!). I may be unique in this, as I know both Cairo and Haddos Delight are very popular among most here, but they just don't work for me. Everything else Greg blends rates from good to phenomenal by my mouth, though.

Natch